Paiste Signature Dark Energy Cymbal Set

they sound superb. I like how the ride has a nice wash, really opens up on crash, yet still well-defined stick and bell sound. That perfect combo is hard to find.

they sound superb. I like how the ride has a nice wash, really opens up on crash, yet still well-defined stick and bell sound. That perfect combo is hard to find.

Thank you very much, sir. You are describing my thoughts exactly. This may very well be THE ride cymbal I've been searching for... It sounds heavier when you ride the top of it, but somehow crashes very nicely.

The pitch difference between the crash sounds of the crash cymbal and the ride cymbal is exactly what I want to hear. I hate it when crash cymbals sound similar.

They were nice enough to bring out no less than 8 or 10 Paiste crash cymbals for me to try (various Signature models). I had my 19" 2002 crash there to compare with the others. I was about to give up, when I heard this 18" crash in the vid. It still needs to settle in a little bit IMO, meaning loosen up and "break in", but it's getting there. :)

I'm beyond happy!

Dark Energy are B20 right? But they definitely do not sound uber-dark to me though. These seem sort of the Paiste answer to Turkish vibe -- Istanbuls, Meinl Byzance...

Dark Energy are B20 right? But they definitely do not sound uber-dark to me though. These seem sort of the Paiste answer to Turkish vibe -- Istanbuls, Meinl Byzance...

I believe it's the "signature alloy", which is B12? I agree with you about it being Paiste's answer to more traditional tones. I think the unique part is that they still have some of that Paiste shimmer and clarity!

Lovely 22" Ride...!!
It has a strong open character, brilliance, its attack it rings true forever... at the same time with a nice dark touch. I think you have chosen wisely, congratulations!

Those are very nice sounding cymbals you got yourself, Thump. Enjoy them.

BTW, I pick up a lot of good info from your videos.

Lovely 22" Ride...!!
It has a strong open character, brilliance, its attack it rings true forever... at the same time with a nice dark touch. I think you have chosen wisely, congratulations!

Thanks! I've owned many rides and none have had this stick defition, while still being perfectly crashable. Very pleased with that!

Those are very nice sounding cymbals you got yourself, Thump. Enjoy them.

BTW, I pick up a lot of good info from your videos.

Thanks man. Glad you like the videos! I've slacked on making videos the past few months, but I enjoy it. Love getting the feedback, since I'm an untrained self taught musician. I've learned a lot from the feedback!

Cymbals look and sound amazing! Nice score..
Your kit sounds good too..love the snare sound. What's the tuning on the snare if you don't mind my asking..

Lovely sounding combination of sizes in that series, they blend together beautifully.

I own the 17" Dark Energy crash and it blends with a regular signature crash very nicely. A 19" version may be in my future.

Cymbals look and sound amazing! Nice score..
Your kit sounds good too..love the snare sound. What's the tuning on the snare if you don't mind my asking..

Thanks!!! It's a 5.5" x 14" Yamaha copper snare with the Nouveau lugs. I have Evans frosted batter heads on all drums.

I don't use a drum dial, so I'm not sure what settings it would be. But I almost always go right down the "medium" tuning range on a snare.

Lovely sounding combination of sizes in that series, they blend together beautifully.

I own the 17" Dark Energy crash and it blends with a regular signature crash very nicely. A 19" version may be in my future.

Thanks! I messed around last night with my 2002 crashes to see which one blends the best and discovered that the 20" Medium Crash sounds awesome with this 18" Dark Energy crash. Visually, not so much of a match. But sonically, they aren't totally out of place with each other, so that's good!

If they made a 20" Dark Energy crash, I would definitely consider it. I'm not big into 16" and I like to have a couple/few inches between crash sizes.

As replied in the other thread (& completely ignored by you ;p), these are the best sounding Paiste pies I've heard in decades. I like them, I like them a lot!

Of course, I'd have to try them in the real world, but on the basis of your video, I don't understand the comparison with K's. I find K's typically a bit one dimensional / flat in some respects, & confused/complexed in others. These Paiste pies seem to have a clear voice that I identify with :)

Off base question - do Diril have any input on these? Or maybe Matt Nolan? I know Matt has been a consultant in the past (20's I think).

As replied in the other thread (& completely ignored by you ;p), these are the best sounding Paiste pies I've heard in decades. I like them, I like them a lot!

Of course, I'd have to try them in the real world, but on the basis of your video, I don't understand the comparison with K's. I find K's typically a bit one dimensional / flat in some respects, & confused/complexed in others. These Paiste pies seem to have a clear voice that I identify with :)

Off base question - do Diril have any input on these? Or maybe Matt Nolan? I know Matt has been a consultant in the past (20's I think).

Ha ha, sorry about that! I don't have as many years on drums under my belt as most of you guys, so I still find it kinda hard to categorize things.

I know for sure that to my ears, these have the nice crisp Paiste shimmer, but are slightly warmer than other Paiste's I've owned/heard. Definitely very clear IMO.

When I think of a good perfect shimmering and crisp cymbal tone, I think of Paiste everytime. I'm definitely a big fan!

I'm not sure about the history of this line. Would love to know more, though!

Ha ha, sorry about that! I don't have as many years on drums under my belt as most of you guys, so I still find it kinda hard to categorize things.

I know for sure that to my ears, these have the nice crisp Paiste shimmer, but are slightly warmer than other Paiste's I've owned/heard. Definitely very clear IMO.

When I think of a good perfect shimmering and crisp cymbal tone, I think of Paiste everytime. I'm definitely a big fan!

I'm not sure about the history of this line. Would love to know more, though!
Oh, there's many here who will disagree with me about K's. In fact, I'm surprised I haven't got flamed yet ;)

Loving those tones :)

PaisteTim would probably know best of any of our members here. It's an interesting question given Murat Diril's history with Eric Paiste. (not intending to hijack this thread with another subject)

PaisteTim would probably know best of any of our members here. It's an interesting question given Murat Diril's history with Eric Paiste. (not intending to hijack this thread with another subject)

I hope he chimes in, because I'd love to know more. But from what I've read online, it sounds like the Diril and Paiste worked together on the Twenty series using B20 bronze. I didn't see reference to any other series.

I'm pretty sure these Dark Energy cymbals are made from their "Signature Alloy" (B12?), but the way they are made makes them sound darker. The top of the ride is brilliant, but the whole underside looks like the Mark 1 version - sandblasted or something and really cool looking. I think that is the main contributor to the darker tone?

The hats are like that two - sandblasted or something on the insides, but the outsides have some wider lathing and unbuffed parts.

The crash doesn't have those same build characteristics. I guess it's the hammering or something that makes it fit into this series.

Also, I was able to compare my ride to this Mark 1 (this exact one - ha ha - seriously) > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNRPUmJwQxI

I love the looks of the Mark 1 version, but I quickly went back to the Mark 2 version that I bought.

Man, I keep watching your video. The more I watch the more I want to try out the Dark Energy line. I love my 2002s but damn!

Back