My old uncle's Zildjian ride cymbal

Salty Dog

Hi Everyone,
some 20 years ago my uncle gave me a Zildjian 22'' ride cymbal. He's 72 now and bought it new in his twenties. So by my calculations it's a 60's era cymbal.
The cymbal today is in excellent condition, no keyhole, no dents, no warp but some patina appears on the edge of the cymbal.

Believe it or not, not until recently did I notice the engraved stamp on it and when I did I was surprised to see it didn't say where it was made. Can anyone
tell me a bit more about this cymbal based on the information stated above and the attached photo of the stamp. Is this thing really worth hanging onto other for sentimental reasons. I must say it sounds amazing.
Thanks
CATbl2MVEAAhOnr.jpg

Last edited:
The great thing about older cymbals is... the majority of them sound great, even when they were new. There were fewer 'duds' for whatever reason, compared to the last 25 years or so where you often have to sort through several cymbals to find the right one.

It's also the reason I'll take a chance on an older cymbal on ebay, because 9 times out if 10, it'll sound great.

So yeah, keep the cymbal!

Bermuda

Looks like a 70s thin stamp, sometimes they didnt put made in usa on them. most of the 60s stuff had the 3 dots in zildjian logo but could be late 60s

The great thing about older cymbals is... the majority of them sound great, even when they were new. There were fewer 'duds' for whatever reason, compared to the last 25 years or so where you often have to sort through several cymbals to find the right one.

It's also the reason I'll take a chance on an older cymbal on ebay, because 9 times out if 10, it'll sound great.

So yeah, keep the cymbal!

Bermuda

Thanks Bermuda. Like I said the sound is fantastic but still I'm intrigued by the fact that there's no indication of where it's made.

Back