If you were sitting behind my kit.

Salty Dog

So here's my thing. I just turned 40 and wanted to treat myself to something nice with a budget of 500$ CDN (that's basically 5$ US). I realistically always wanted a 14X8 Ludwig Keystone snare to match my Salmon Oyster Keystone kit. Since I already own a 14X5.5 Supralite snare I can also use the Keystone snare as a 14in tom and I like the versatility that will add to the kit.

However my current cymbal set-up is 14in Zildjian New Beats Hi-Hats, 16 Zildjian A Custom crash and a ridiculously heavy 22 in 1960's Zildjian Avedis ride that belonged to my uncle. My head tells me that I should invest in a second A-Custom crash a 18 or 20in maybe for an extra voice.

The type of music I play is Rock and Jazz.

So drummers if you were sitting behind my kit what would your choice be: Snare or cymbal?

Thanks

So here's my thing. I just turned 40 and wanted to treat myself to something nice with a budget of 500$ CDN (that's basically 5$ US). I realistically always wanted a 14X8 Ludwig Keystone snare to match my Salmon Oyster Keystone kit. Since I already own a 14X5.5 Supralite snare I can also use the Keystone snare as a 14in tom and I like the versatility that will add to the kit.

However my current cymbal set-up is 14in Zildjian New Beats Hi-Hats, 16 Zildjian A Custom crash and a ridiculously heavy 22 in 1960's Zildjian Avedis ride that belonged to my uncle. My head tells me that I should invest in a second A-Custom crash a 18 or 20in maybe for an extra voice.

So drummers if you were sitting behind my kit what would your choice be: Snare or cymbal?

Thanks

22" or 24" ride Cymbal. Have you heard the cymbals Matt Bettis is creating? Check out his stuff on eBay. His 24" ride replaced a Spizzichino in my set up.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brand-New-22-Bettis-Thin-Ride-Cymbal-Dark-Istanbul-Old-K-Vintage-Craftsmanship-/281623324256?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41920ee660

Cheers and happy birthday

GJS

Cymbals rule and drums drool. No contest.

22" or 24" ride Cymbal. Have you heard the cymbals Matt Bettis is creating? Check out his stuff on eBay. His 24" ride replaced a Spizzichino in my set up.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brand-New-22-Bettis-Thin-Ride-Cymbal-Dark-Istanbul-Old-K-Vintage-Craftsmanship-/281623324256?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41920ee660

Cheers and happy birthday

GJS
Thanks for the BDay wishes. I already have a 22in ride cymbal. So at least I know I won't be getting that for sure, yes even if it looks nice : ). Now If only the other decision would be this easy.

I'd go used and get both. I spend less that $500 (USD) on a set of 3 very nice, jazzy rides. Go used and you up you buying power.
That would most definitely work for the cymbals but I tried searching ebay for a used Keystone snare nothing much there even less in the Salmon Oyster wrap. Thanks for the tip.

I would probably go with a K or K Custom Dark crash since you already have a bright crash in the A Custom. To me, the contrast from the A custom to a Dark K crash would give you more voices than having a second A custom. You can find them used for more than half off on ebay and hopefully have some spending money left over to find that used snare too!

I would probably go with a K or K Custom Dark crash since you already have a bright crash in the A Custom. To me, the contrast from the A custom to a Dark K crash would give you more voices than having a second A custom. You can find them used for more than half off on ebay and hopefully have some spending money left over to find that used snare too!

Fritz, never thought of that option. I will look into it. Thanks

Get the snare.

Another cymbal can come later.
Happy Birthday.

Thanks for the BDay wishes. That's part of why I would want the snare, I can get it now but not sure the opp will present itself again. Cymbals are easier to find used and at a good price too.

If the snare is readily available for purchase, you may want to jump on it, as those aren't found as easily as good used cymbals.

Otherwise, I would go with cymbals. Since you said your ride is super heavy, I would try to find a lighter ride that is also suitable as a crash. If you want the bright sound (judging by the cymbals you already have) a Zildjian Sweet ride would pair awesome with your hats and crash. And then I do agree a nice dark crash would be cool as well.

Normally I would say cymbals hands down, but I would lean towards getting the snare given its rarity. You already know you want that particular snare. If you don't know what cymbals/sizes you're after right now, it makes sense to put that decision off until you know exactly what you want. Purchase the cymbals you want at a later date and sell off your current cymbals to help finance the new ones.

Cymbals if it were me. Most snares can be dialed in nice, and with your Supralite, I have to assume it's holding up its end. I could play on one exclusively and be happy.

But cymbals are such an important voice and you don't have a mid-size (18-20") medium-thin weight general-purpose cymbal, which is most of what I use. Again, this is just answering the original question of what I would do.

For me, putting together a fully functioning kit with all the right voices trumps collecting a rare item every time.

I don't even own anything collectable, now that I think about it :)

shoot, for $500 you could get yourself a used Ludwig kit in some fun, new sizes. Then frequent the shadiest, creepiest Canadian pawnshops you can find till you find a nice jazzy ride. Some place where they'll cut a deal, I can't stand those damn shops that won't barter.

Other idea is to score the ride used and get yourself a 14x8 snare then wrap it to match. Al had a wrap for his Ludwig standard FT made by Drumbum.

If the snare is readily available for purchase, you may want to jump on it, as those aren't found as easily as good used cymbals.

Otherwise, I would go with cymbals. Since you said your ride is super heavy, I would try to find a lighter ride that is also suitable as a crash. If you want the bright sound (judging by the cymbals you already have) a Zildjian Sweet ride would pair awesome with your hats and crash. And then I do agree a nice dark crash would be cool as well.

Thanks for the input T. I really like the idea of a dark crash in 18.
The snare itself is not rare to find just need to order it and wait 8 weeks. It's the 2013 Keystone so scoring one used is almost impossible.

Thanks

If it were me, I'd say get that 20 inch crash, and make it medium thin. So, maybe a K or K Custom.

Happy 40th.
Matching snares are not my thing, so personally I'd go for cymbals, and nice used ones. Your setup sounds like it could use a big crash or crashable ride.

You could get a nice cymbal, write '40' on the bottom bell and always remember it as a present to yourself.

shoot, for $500 you could get yourself a used Ludwig kit in some fun, new sizes. Then frequent the shadiest, creepiest Canadian pawnshops you can find till you find a nice jazzy ride. Some place where they'll cut a deal, I can't stand those damn shops that won't barter.

Other idea is to score the ride used and get yourself a 14x8 snare then wrap it to match. Al had a wrap for his Ludwig standard FT made by Drumbum.

I should report you to the moderator for suggesting another drum set that is insane that's why it crossed my mind a few times. Lol.
The snare drum I won't budge I know what I want and where to get it. Now if the Copper Phonic was 500$ case would have been close. Lol

Cymbals if it were me. Most snares can be dialed in nice, and with your Supralite, I have to assume it's holding up its end. I could play on one exclusively and be happy.

But cymbals are such an important voice and you don't have a mid-size (18-20") medium-thin weight general-purpose cymbal, which is most of what I use. Again, this is just answering the original question of what I would do.

For me, putting together a fully functioning kit with all the right voices trumps collecting a rare item every time.

I don't even own anything collectable, now that I think about it :)

Yes the Supralite is very impressive and I can see myself using that alone.
I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that the Keystone is a rare drum to find. It's actually a new Keystone that I can easily order new. I was saying it's hard to find used in the finish I want it since it's only a few years that they are making it.

Happy 40th.
Matching snares are not my thing, so personally I'd go for cymbals, and nice used ones. Your setup sounds like it could use a big crash or crashable ride.

You could get a nice cymbal, write '40' on the bottom bell and always remember it as a present to yourself.

Thanks Opentune, tagging my cymbal with a "40" would be a nice touch.

Back