Rogers dynasonic snare drum

geek_boy_in

Hello - Will you provide some pointers if there is a difference in sound or construction quality between a Big R badge dynasonic versus an oval (script) badge dynasonic. I am thinking of buying one but on ebay there is a material price difference between a Cleveland era dyna versus a late 70s dyna. But is it only because of collection value or there are tangible sound differences.

Also what about a 70s script (oval) badge dynasonic versus a mid 70s Big R. Did the sound of dyna evolve over 60s and 70s ?

The answer to your primary question must be no. One is not necessarily better than the other.
I currently own 15 Rogers Dyna-Sonic snare drums. The earliest is unplayable. The lugs are cracked. That drum is a 1961 first generation Dyna. The 170th drum to wear the badge. Hard to argue that drum being a Covington built drum is better than a Big R period drum that has never failed.

So my drums span 1961 to 1984 when Rogers shut down. There are numerous variations in lug weight, build changes, throw off design, hoop variations, hoop design changes, but over all....... it is one and the same drum. However, a 1964 drum is not going to sound exactly like a 1984 drum. They will be similar. This would be true of any snare drum built over a couple of decades. The same would be true comparing an early Ludalloy Supraphonic through the years with drums from different time periods. Even though they are essentially the same drum.

If you decide to go with an oval badge drum, you might pay a little more ... or not. In August I purchased an excellent condition 1964 Seven Line Dyna-Sonic for 300.00. A week ago, I purchased an excellent condition 1975 first issue Big R for 200,00. Both of those were excellent prices on drums that should have sold right around 500 and 375 respectively.

Sound quality from any year is going to be stellar. There are no dogs to bark. Quality of build is not a problem on this drum, over the entirety of its 23 year life span. I could be perfectly happy sitting down to any of the drums I own without reservation for how it will perform, or sound, or function.

geek_boy_in, thanks for posting the question, and

thank you JohnPloughman for answering and showing your collection and knowledge of Rogers.

I just own two oval dynasonics both from the 60's, one is a 5" and the other is a 6 1/2. I really like these snare drums. I would want to pick up set of Rogers from the 60's one day.

Thanks John P for your response. It seems I won't be loosing anything in terms of sound quality if I buy a Big R dynasonic. Can you also tell me if all Big R badge dynasonics are produced in USA ? How do I differentiate ? is there a serial number range or just "USA" signia is enough ?

1964 Seven Line 5x14. Serial 3689. Seven Line, Beavertail Lug drums will be found between Serial numbers 2800-11000 .. give or take a few numbers. High quality .... this is the golden age. These drums represent the years 1963-to 1967. This is the Cleveland Paper Tag period. 1966 is when Rogers was purchased by CBS Musical Instruments. 1967 begins the Dayton Ohio paper tag era.

1a9e06e0cfd4f8420e97deaf3b1e4440_zps0a819d2f.jpg

1968-1972, Drums from approx. 11000- upper 30000 range. Five line COB shells, Dayton, early Fullerton era. Changes to lugs, (lighter casting) There are differences you can see, and some you have to disassemble to see, but overall, the same high quality drums.
This drum, 1968 Badge number 13723

3-23-10%201075%202_zpsa3lmcn3e.jpg

1972-1975 Fullerton Ca. Drums from upper 30000 to approx. 56000+. Lug changes, Bottom hoop changes, frame change.
This drum, 1975. Badge Number 53004.

3-23-10%201074_zpsjrfavxqd.jpg

1975 seen the introduction of the Big R badge. Initial drums were built on Oval badge shells remaining in stock prior to delivery of new shells with the design modifications for the new Badge. This drum is one of those first issued Big R drums.

Drums continued to be built to the end in 1984. There is a brief period where the Rogers Drums USA badge does not have a serial number. 1979-81, perhaps a year and a half.

IMG_2675_zpsguxavxi7.jpg

3-23-101071.jpg

For the Big R USA period of Rogers drums, 1975-84, ALL Big R badges will look like this........... even those without serial numbers... will always have USA on the Badge. If USA is not on the badge, then it is not USA Big R Rogers.

3-23-101072.jpg

This is very good info in a nutshell John. This will help everyone in future as well. Much appreciate your effort to post the pictures with crisp descriptions.

Thanks.

NB: I have sent you a PM with a question. Please check.

PM answered. Funny thing, I own and posted two drums within the same time frame and serial number ranges. They are identical. Except the Badge.

PM answered. Funny thing, I own and posted two drums within the same time frame and serial number ranges. They are identical. Except the Badge.

Thanks John. Also to confirm Roger Big R badge dynasonics do not have dynasonic written on their badge. Is that correct ? Will SuperTen snares which came in the same era will ever have a cross sectional snare bed/bar as dynasonics ? Reason I ask is that both are chrome over metal so hard to say from photos if they are brass or steel.

Thanks John. Also to confirm Roger Big R badge dynasonics do not have dynasonic written on their badge. Is that correct ? Will SuperTen snares which came in the same era will ever have a cross sectional snare bed/bar as dynasonics ? Reason I ask is that both are chrome over metal so hard to say from photos if they are brass or steel.

Everything posted above are Dyna-Sonic.......... This is a SuperTen from the Big R era. SuperTen from the oval badge era will have an Oval Badge stating SuperTen. The difference in the shell is obvious. No lines on the steel shell SuperTen.

Superten32130-002_zpsttd3je1r.jpg

Superten32130-001_zpsrp5db8v3.jpg

I have a dynasonic from, by this thread, is from '68-'72 serial #22697
and I would like to find new snare wires for this drum. Who has them?

Hello - Will you provide some pointers if there is a difference in sound or construction quality between a Big R badge dynasonic versus an oval (script) badge dynasonic. I am thinking of buying one but on ebay there is a material price difference between a Cleveland era dyna versus a late 70s dyna. But is it only because of collection value or there are tangible sound differences.

Also what about a 70s script (oval) badge dynasonic versus a mid 70s Big R. Did the sound of dyna evolve over 60s and 70s ?

Attachments

• 17071720723651561941294916609466.jpg
    17071720723651561941294916609466.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 3
I don't know.

But I've got a Fullerton Dyna-sonic. Very happy about that too. I jam with some players who want more volume that commented on this snare. I haven't laid into it with them, but I really like it myself. Sound/tone is very appealing.

Back