Ludwig Standard Vs. DW 3000 Hardware

mustang

Hey,

Im looking to purchase a whole new set of hardware for a new kit. I play all Ludwig drums so i was looking at the Ludwig Atlas Standard Line. I like it when everything matches up, but I'm concerned about the quality of the stuff. I also have been looking at the DW 3000 series line and it seems to have many more features and quality for less but its not Ludwig...

I play out 3 times a week and do multi city touring in medium sized venues. I have all hard cases and try to take care of my gear but i need something like those lines thats medium duty and reliable but I'm not sure which to go with. Any experience with either line? Anything would help thanks!

I've heard good things from the folks that use the Atlas equipment. A lot of Atlas Mount users on the forums. That said:

When I had the same interest as you, I was unable to find a shop in a 3h radius of upstate NY that had a single piece of Atlas gear in-stock for a customer like you or I to try out. It was surprising to say the least.

If you happen to find some in your area, please post your opinion for the next guy.

So are you talking about the Atlas Standard line? Not the touring pro Atlas stuff, right? That stuff is pretty expensive and is a lot bigger than the DW3000 stuff, right?

I think the Atlas Standard line is reasonably priced - heck, with bass drum pedals for $70, it looks like slightly heavier Yamaha 7 stuff. I was tempted to try it but already have enough gear to outfit three sets. My heavy stuff is Pearl 900 stuff, and my lighter stuff is Yamaha 7 mixed with Yamaha 6 straight cymbal stands. But I do keep the weight where I need it by utilizing DW5000 and Pearl Demon Drive pedals and DW5000 hi-hat. Everything else can be lighter.

I have lots of experience with DW's 9000, 5000, 3000, and 7000 series hardware. I started switching to the 3000 and 7000 stuff where I could, because the 9000 gear just got too heavy to lug around. (Or I just got older and lazy). I never had any problems with DW's lines of hardware. I have had limited experience with Ludwig's Atlas line, and can say I didn't have any issues, either. From what I see/saw, you can't go wrong either way. Not to go off the path here, but I personally never had problems with Gibraltar's hardware as well.

Thanks for the feedback! Just to be clear Iam talking about the Ludwig Atlas Standard and not the pro stuff. I think I might just go with the DW because I haven't actually sat with the Ludwig stuff. No one actually carries it. I also was able to call DW and talk to someone directly and I liked that. Both hardware lines look similar in price, and effectiveness but DW stuff has better features...

Thanks for the feedback! Just to be clear Iam talking about the Ludwig Atlas Standard and not the pro stuff. I think I might just go with the DW because I haven't actually sat with the Ludwig stuff. No one actually carries it. I also was able to call DW and talk to someone directly and I liked that. Both hardware lines look similar in price, and effectiveness but DW stuff has better features...

I have gone to my nearest Five Star shop and seen the Atlas Standard hardware in person. I also have used DW3000 hardware on a church kit and so can speak to its build.

Both kick pedals are baseplated, fairly solid and have a decent action that doesn't make you work excessively as can some other entry-level pedals. The hi-hat stands and snare stands are fairly similar in terms of features and build.

The major difference I see between the two lines is that the DW 3000 boom stands do not have an intermediate tube and therefore might not have as much height positioning potential as the Standards.

The DW hardware at my church has been pounded on harshly by young kids for several years, and in places where fittings are held together by rivets (like where the boom assembly fits on the down pipe) there is shimmy and looseness. I don't have any similar data on the longevity of the Ludwig gear but I thought it worth mentioning. I myself was sufficiently impressed with the Standard hardware to plan to purchase a set. It's certainly better than the Ludwig hardware of yesteryear.

What do you think about Atlas pro stuff? I am looking for long live hardware and drum throne. I know it is expensive, but have you tried it? Is it worth it, and what else should I look for? Thanks!

What do you think about Atlas pro stuff? I am looking for long live hardware and drum throne. I know it is expensive, but have you tried it? Is it worth it, and what else should I look for? Thanks!

I've not tried the Atlas Pro stuff past what I looked at in the shop. Several folks here have played it and given it great reviews, though.

What I can point you at for other hardware, and a lot of folks will back me on this: Yamaha. Their 600, 700, and 800 series hardware is all top-notch and durable. I've owned the Yamaha 700-series stands in my avatar for going on 20 years, and they are solid, sturdy, and dependable. I've never had them come loose or fail on me. Even though I use single-braced stands, I can pile weight on them with no issues or fears.

Even better is that a pack of 700-series hardware is $25 cheaper right now than the Ludwig Standard pack. The Yamaha pack comes with 2 convertible boom stands, while the Standard pack comes with a convertible boom and a straight stand. The DW3000 hardware pack with only one convertible boom stand is $35 more expensive than the Yamaha and $10 more than the Ludwig.

The tradeoff is that the Yamaha hardware pack comes with a single-chain, no-baseplate pedal. The Ludwig Atlas Standard and DW3000 pedals are both double-chain, baseplated, and are pretty comparable in terms of performance and feel. If this doesn't concern you, or if you already have a really great pedal, I would consider getting the Yamaha hardware pack and either keeping the Yamaha pedal as a spare or selling it back out.

Back