Mackie SRM150

i use its step-sister, the little behringer hot spot. it is great. i play bar/party gigs where we usually just mic bass drum and then have vox and acoustic guitars through the p.a. With the hot spot, i have individual volume controls at the ready, and i can fine tune my monitor mix on each song if necessary. very convenient.

Anyone use the Mackie SRM150 instead of a wedge? Thoughts?

Decent speaker but look elsewhere for the same kind of thing.
The SRM150 unfortunately has a legendary poor reliability reputation. A local dealer told me that every one of their SRM150's sold - failed…within a year. 100% failure rate. From the amp blowing, speaker blowing, inputs not working etc etc. A band mate of mine has one too - and the amp is so distorted, it's unusable.

Do a search online for "Mackie SRM150 review" - and read all the negative reviews - they all relate to early break down.

Neal

Decent speaker but look elsewhere for the same kind of thing.
The SRM150 unfortunately has a legendary poor reliability reputation. A local dealer told me that every one of their SRM150's sold - failed…within a year. 100% failure rate. From the amp blowing, speaker blowing, inputs not working etc etc. A band mate of mine has one too - and the amp is so distorted, it's unusable.

Do a search online for "Mackie SRM150 review" - and read all the negative reviews - they all relate to early break down.

Neal

Any thoughts on comparable monitors?

while i would hesitate to recommend Behringer anything, the Behringer is only $125 or so, and i've dropped mine twice and it still works great. it's worth trying

There were several recent class D amps that had similar 100% failure rates. My brother often called me to complain that distributors were telling him to throw the amps out once the RMA room started to overflow. It was cheaper to ship a new one than 2xship + repair the old.

While the issue is not inherent to Class D amps, there was a race to the bottom involving several overseas shops that lead to bad circuits, bad cooling, shoddy workmanship, etc.

Last edited:
I have the Simmons DA200S. Its okay. Good bottom end, but piercing highs and little to no mids. There is some EQ'ing you can do with the monitor, but I don't find it gives me a nice sound in the end. Its not bad for the price and its reliable, but its heavy (~50 lbs) and its sound is just okay. I have a bit of a love hate relationship with the monitor. Love it because of its reliability and price point, hate it because I threw my back out moving it last summer and my back hasn't been the same since. If you can find it with a 20% off coupon, that's the only time I would buy. I would not pay full price for it.

Any thoughts on comparable monitors?

Yes, believe it or not (their long history of troubles with breaking gear withstanding) - I would recommend the Behringer B205D, as others have pointed out.

The 'new' Behringer (since they bought Midas/Turbosound/Klark) is getting a lot better. In this case their ripoff product is better than the original.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B205D

But if you'e looking for a REAL monitor, I would steer my money elsewhere and start looking at powered speakers from EV, QSC, JBL, Yamaha, etc.

These micro monitors are fine if they are for just you, or an acoustic duo maybe…beyond that, fuggettabouddit. Especially if there is a drummer playing while this thing is being used…it would be acoustically invisible. :)

Neal

The guitar player in one of my bands uses the Behringer b205d and likes it very much. I've played with it a bit and does sound pretty nice with lots of flexibility. I see it selling for $199 at most dealers.

Yes, believe it or not (their long history of troubles with breaking gear withstanding) - I would recommend the Behringer B205D, as others have pointed out.

The 'new' Behringer (since they bought Midas/Turbosound/Klark) is getting a lot better. In this case their ripoff product is better than the original.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B205D

But if you'e looking for a REAL monitor, I would steer my money elsewhere and start looking at powered speakers from EV, QSC, JBL, Yamaha, etc.

These micro monitors are fine if they are for just you, or an acoustic duo maybe…beyond that, fuggettabouddit. Especially if there is a drummer playing while this thing is being used…it would be acoustically invisible. :)

Neal

I am the drummer and I'm thinking of using it instead of a wedge....

I am the drummer and I'm thinking of using it instead of a wedge....

if you put it on a mic stand, or something that gets it up at least waist level while your sitting, it will get plenty loud for you in the drum seat. You'll have total control over volume for each channel, too; i sometimes adjust even during songs. i'm really spoiled by the behringer hot spot. i think it would be perfect for you (and i have no vested interest).

Back