New Score off eBay

PeteN

Silver Member
Hey guys I just scored my dream kit off of eBay for $3200.00 shipping included and was wondering if you think I should have paid less? He wanted $3895.00 but he kindly let me chisel him down.

I figured these kits are hard to come by and i wanted it for a long time so I caved in.

Also, it comes with a matching snare but not sure if that's a recording custom snare, can anyone tell me if it is and if it lives up to the rest of the kit?

I'm also wondering if pinstripes are a good head to start with since they used to come standard with them on?

Thanks in Advance
Pete

Nice looking kit! RC's are great drums. As for price doesn't really matter if anyone thinks you should have gone lower, sale is done.

As far as heads I'd probably go Emperor or G2 for batters, maybe ambassadors if you want to let them sing a little more. Not sure I'd go pinstripes, but that's just me.

That's a sick kit, just be happy and enjoy it. I think the price was good considering it had free shipping.

Nice looking kit! RC's are great drums. As for price doesn't really matter if anyone thinks you should have gone lower, sale is done.

As far as heads I'd probably go Emperor or G2 for batters, maybe ambassadors if you want to let them sing a little more. Not sure I'd go pinstripes, but that's just me.

+1 not a fan of the pinstripes....And i think id swap out the Bass resonant head with a smaller port........Sweet kit......

That is a quality piece you've acquired! Really great sounding kit, looks fantastic also!

+2 on not going for Pinstripes. Personally, I'd go with coated G2 or Emperors (depending on your preference/usage), give the Birch some additional warmth without sacrificing the attack. Smooth White Remo Emperor's would sound really nice also, they sort of blend the qualities of Clear and Coated heads. Using either of these will give you the warmth/control of pinstripes without the 'deadening' quality, as the Birch is already quite focused.

Jon

These kits are awesome. I got to play one in LA, I liked the pinstripes on it, really low and thuddy sounding but in a good way.

Congratulations on the purchase. I can't say I've ever played a set of those or been in a room of them being played. I've probably heard recordings of them and not known it...so I can't speak for the kit. But what's done is done and just enjoy them now! I still cringe at the amount of money I've put into my new kit, but I do my best to get past that ;)

As far as heads go, good luck. I just bought my fifth set of heads to try out!

great score in a classic outfit.

Me personally would say, keep the Pinstripes, they have plenty of tone.

My Oak Custom has a Pinstripe on the 12'' which has a die cast hoop too. It still sings like a bird, nothing dead here. And the same goes for reso head with large hole.

Love them both.

Very nice purchase, if you are comfortable with the price you paid and can afford it, then that is all that matters. They are very nice drums (I have owned 2 RC kits), typical excellent quality Yamaha/Sakae quality. The standard head provided by Yamaha for these is the Remo Pinstripes. The pinstripes made nowadays are much more resonant sounding than when they first came out in the 70's. I swapped out the Pinstripes on my RC kits for Aquarian Response 2 coated batters and an Aquarian Superkick 1 on the bass drum batter. I really like two ply coated batter heads for birch toms and the Superkick 1 sounds great on the RC bass drums.

Thanks guys! I got a nice surprise as the music store i got the kit from added a set of new heads and power sonic for bass drum no extra charge.

Hey guys I just scored my dream kit off of eBay for $3200.00 shipping included and was wondering if you think I should have paid less? He wanted $3895.00 but he kindly let me chisel him down.

I figured these kits are hard to come by and i wanted it for a long time so I caved in.

Also, it comes with a matching snare but not sure if that's a recording custom snare, can anyone tell me if it is and if it lives up to the rest of the kit?

I'm also wondering if pinstripes are a good head to start with since they used to come standard with them on?

Thanks in Advance
Pete

Great kit, you'll love it. The snare is not an RC (Yamaha has long since stopped producing RC snares) but a Yamaha Sensitive Maple, which is a great snare in its own right.

Enjoy,

Dutch

Great looking kit, I saw it out there on ebay. Are you going clear or coated? I like clear Emperor or the Ambassador X, I bet those would sound great in thise drums.

Thanks guys! I got a nice surprise as the music store i got the kit from added a set of new heads and power sonic for bass drum no extra charge.

That's pretty cool, that's a shop you'll want to deal with again! What heads did they give you?

Great kit, you'll love it. The snare is not an RC (Yamaha has long since stopped producing RC snares) but a Yamaha Sensitive Maple, which is a great snare in its own right.

Enjoy,

Dutch

Thank You for clearing that up for me.

Great looking kit, I saw it out there on ebay. Are you going clear or coated? I like clear Emperor or the Ambassador X, I bet those would sound great in thise drums.

I decided on pinstripes for now because i will be playing them in my man cave and dont necessarily need full throttle resonance. If I find myself wanting more I usually use double ply clears so emperor or G2 would be my choice.

That's pretty cool, that's a shop you'll want to deal with again! What heads did they give you?
Very cool shop! Pinstripes

Now you're up my alley! I bought a new set of Recording Customs in Tobacco Sunburst back in the 90s. You will love that kit, especially the toms. At the time I bought the kit, I worked in a music store and had the opportunity to try many different models of drumheads on them. And I tried most everything Remo offered (clear and coated Ambassadors, Emperors, CS) and a number of single and double ply heads from Evans, and Aquarian in clear and coated.

The ultimate winner: clear Pinstripes, the heads that came on them. You can spend some coin on trying different models yourself, but most RC players will confirm that clear PS makes these drums sing.

The bass drum was another story. The BD was the only drum in the kit that I never managed to make sound the way I wanted it to. Again, I went thru a parade of different drumhead brands and lines, along with various muffling options. I eventually went back to a clear PS on the BD batter, too, with no muffling.

Odd thing about the bass drum, though - I was the only person in the band that was dissatisfied with its sound. I know it will sound wierd, but the BD was a monster everywhere except behind the kit. Audience members praised the kick sound repeatedly. I've never been able to explain that, but that's the way it was. Just for your info. You may have zero problems attaining the sound you want.

Enjoy one of the greatest kits ever made.

GeeDeeEmm

Thank You for clearing that up for me.

I decided on pinstripes for now because i will be playing them in my man cave and dont necessarily need full throttle resonance. If I find myself wanting more I usually use double ply clears so emperor or G2 would be my choice.

Very cool shop! Pinstripes

You're welcome. Forgot to mention I have Aquarian single-ply texture coated heads on the toms, and an Aquarian SKII on the kick. Toms really sing and kick has a nice thud (no other muffling).

Dutch

Great looking drums.

Price is only one thing to consider:
you don't see many that are in that good of shape,
they aren't being made any more,
you're pretty well set for sizes,
the floor toms have legs (yeah),
and most important - it's your dream kit.

I had a 22, 13, 16 RC in that finish. Great drums. Congrats on some new tubs.​
As far as heads, put whatever you like on 'em. Yamaha ships 'em with pins ..... very old school studio vibe. I've had 3 RC kits, over the years. Last RC kit I had, I outfitted with coated Powerstroke3's batter, clear Ambassador's reso. Also, I've run coated Emperor's, batter.​

Last edited:
Nice one Pete. Classic drums whose sound will never go out of style.

Let me know when you are gigging them so I can perhaps get out and hear them in-person.

Nice score Pete. I got that exact finish also a month before Yamaha discontinued the Recording Custom series. My vendor told me I rescued quite a few of the last remaining single drums from the Japanese factory: 12/13/14 & 16 floor toms/20/22/24 kick drums. The only drum I couldn't get in that transaction was a 26" kick.

For heads I ended up using Aquarian Super 2 Clears on all the toms. 20" kick has an Aquarian Super Kick Texture Coated for batter and a Modern Vintage with felt strip for the reso head. 22" kick has an Aquarian SuperKick I on the batter with an Evans reso with the Studio Grill. 24" kick has an Aquarian Force I clear batter with an Evans reso with the Studio Grill. I have four reso heads (two ported, two unported) for each size bass drum, but this is where I landed at the current time on head combinations. Still experimenting and tweaking head combinations.

Hope you enjoy your new kit as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Back