NAMM 2015: Premier 'The Beast' Snare

I did post pictures & official Premier blurb in another thread a few days ago, simply because I thought it to be sufficiently different to warrant the attention it was obviously designed to attract. In my position as a builder, I try to avoid direct critique on drums made by others unless there's obvious fault or deception. Additionally, I know some of the people involved in producing this drum & it's components.

For those wanting a well made high volume, cutting, & articulate drum, it's got to be a contender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw that at their (main) booth... kind of 'corporate steampunk' IYKWIM. I gave it a light tap, and it sounds like a good, albeit very ordinary snare.

Bermuda

I walked by it at NAMM, looked at it and thought to myself "what the *bleep* were they thinking?" and then kept walking.

It looked more like a science fiction TV show prop then a snare drum.

I did post pictures & official Premier blurb in another thread a few days ago, simply because I thought it to be sufficiently different to warrant the attention it was obviously designed to attract. In my position as a builder, I try to avoid direct critique on drums made by others unless there's obvious fault or deception. Additionally, I know some of the people involved in producing this drum & it's components.

For those wanting a well made high volume, cutting, & articulate drum, it's got to be a contender.

Whoops my apologies, I'll keep that discussion over there then :)

Whoa - no apology necessary :) I was just pointing out that my ability to comment is somewhat curtailed.

I don't know why but these concepts that involve hollow elements of the shell really intrigue me. I guess I'm convinced that there is a natural reverb effect that could be created, but I'm always dissapointed when it doesn't work haha.

What about 3 plies, re-ring (say 1" thick) top and bottom of about 3 plies and then another 3 plies, giving a kind of hollow internal space a bit like a speaker cabinet. Put some vents on the internal shell only and a vent on the outer shell not aligned with the internal ones. Would it sound good/different or rubbish?

granted fitting hardwar would be something of a nightmare!

I don't know why but these concepts that involve hollow elements of the shell really intrigue me. I guess I'm convinced that there is a natural reverb effect that could be created, but I'm always dissapointed when it doesn't work haha.

What about 3 plies, re-ring (say 1" thick) top and bottom of about 3 plies and then another 3 plies, giving a kind of hollow internal space a bit like a speaker cabinet. Put some vents on the internal shell only and a vent on the outer shell not aligned with the internal ones. Would it sound good/different or rubbish?

granted fitting hardwar would be something of a nightmare!
It's already been done, & in just about every combination you can think of. I could go into ridiculous detail about this, but the bottom line is - drums resonate as a whole instrument, not as component parts. There's already enough "tools" available to the drum designer to deliver just about any performance characteristic you can think of. The skill is aligning those elements.

I've looked all over and can't find any audio or video of The Beast being played. I'd really like to hear it.

Premier Resonator would be the most prolific example of that, but most users report that they sound better once the inner liner is removed (as would be necessary to get at any of the hardware fasteners). At that point they become Premier Projectors, which are great sounding drums anyway!

See also the Wang Percussion / DJ Drums "Duplex" kit, featuring one of the best bass drums I've ever, ever heard.

Back