Meytal Cohen? She plays, right?

Ehh... I don't really like watching her play. Something just doesn't seem right when I watch her videos. She is playing the parts, but the sound doesn't seem to be lining up for how she is playing. Her playing looks very sloppy, but the sound is perfectly clean. There are accents and full crash hits in the track, but in the video she is just tapping away on the kit, smiling and showing off her cleavage. The sound and the video just don't link up and it racks my brain when I watch it. There is probably a lot of mixing and editing for her drum tracks in her videos, and perhaps even some overdubs that get put in there on some of the fills. I never notice this phenomenon with anyone else's playing. Only her's. And it's on every single video. Its like lip syncing, but on the drums. Something feels off.

If I want to watch a pretty girl play the drums, and I mean REALLY play the drums, I prefer to watch Anika Niles. Everything she plays syncs up exactly as it should: playing dynamics, clean and intentional articulation on every stick hit, etc. Anika is a phenominal drummer. And, she doesn't pander to the audience by wearing low cut shirts, short skirts, go barefoot, or have a fan blowing her hair around as she plays. That irks me about Meytal. Her drumming feels questionable, but her pandering is clear and intentional.

Meytal is 100% a studio product and Annika can really play. So can Emanuelle Caplette. I think the male/female drummer distinction is dumb. You can either play or you can't. I'm not going to spend time watching an average drummer just because they have lady bits.

I'm not going to spend time watching an average drummer just because they have lady bits.

While I agree with all your other points, I understand how women can like average musicians who are attractive. I see nothing wrong with sex appeal when it comes to musicians, and it will make me pay attention to them, even if their skills are okay. If they're at least competent, why not?

While I agree with all your other points, I understand how women can like average musicians who are attractive. I see nothing wrong with sex appeal when it comes to musicians, and it will make me pay attention to them, even if their skills are okay. If they're at least competent, why not?

I mean specifically in the context of watching videos for inspiration. I look for people that can play better than me. Annika and Emanuelle are on regular rotation.

For me, I see sex appeal as being part of the performance, and differentiate it from the musicianship aspect. It's no different than MManson looking all gross, or Prince looking like a cross between a 70's blacksploitation pimp and the Scarlett Pimpernel, or Jack White's forced austerity. It's all part of the show.

How attractive is Meytal really? Maybe it's because I'm from California but I'd probably walk right by her without a second glance.

How attractive is Meytal really? Maybe it's because I'm from California but I'd probably walk right by her without a second glance.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, playing drums and/or robot dancing are the hottest things a woman can possibly do.

At my age I'd feel guilty looking at a girl her age. And since I don't want to see Maude playing the drums, I guess I'll settle on watching a nice middle-aged well dressed Gal who can really play.
Are you talking about Sheila E or our Madge?

I think he means Bea Arthur, or so Im guessing.

She's a fake, in so much as, all of her parts are produced and edited and never played in one take or live on camera. She's not just micing up and playing along like Cobus. Watch the two side by side and tell me which one is real. She's recording her parts with multiple takes and editing software then playing along ala "air band" while filming with multiple camera angles. I have found only one video of her actually playing on a snare during an interview. She gives advice on a pattern to practice then messes up while demonstrating it. She eventually gives up, and says "trust me, it's a good pattern to practice". I get that she's kinda cute, but we're drummers here right? I can tell by how she swings that it doesn't sound like that standing in front of her. Watching her is like watching an actor portraying a drummer.

Last edited:
She's a fake, in so much as, all of her parts are produced. She's not just micing up and playing along like Cobus. Watch the two side by side and tell me which one is real. She's recording her parts with multiple takes and editing software then playing along ala "air band" with it while filming with multiple camera angles. I have found only one video of her actually playing on a snare during an interview. She gives advice on a pattern to practice then messes up while demonstrating it. She eventually gives up, and says "well it's still a good pattern to practice". I get that she's kinda cute, but we're drummers here right?

Come on now. I understand she went to the world famous Musicians Institute. Great players have always emerged from that environment, right?

😉

Come on now. I understand she went to the world famous Musicians Institute. Great players have always emerged from that environment, right?

��

Ha! Mattycakes you kill me. Honestly, look close, search Google and YouTube, you will not find a video of her just playing. Not one cell phone video of her at NAMM? No online classes? Not one gig or clinic? Everything is edited and my question is why. Actually I'm a skeptic. I'm pretty sure I know. The only thing I question is whether or not you really think she's hot?

Ha! Mattycakes you kill me. Honestly, look close, search Google and YouTube, you will not find a video of her just playing. Not one cell phone video of her at NAMM? No online classes? Not one gig or clinic? Everything is edited and my question is why. Actually I'm a skeptic. I'm pretty sure I know. The only thing I question is whether or not you really think she's hot?

I was being facetious.

But I will reiterate, that Ms. Cohen herself said she will be playing at the Behringer booth at NAMM on Saturday with both Victor Wooten and Doug Wimbish. It sounds unreal, but I will be there with Zoom camera in hand to catch the event if it happens.

I was being facetious.

But I will reiterate, that Ms. Cohen herself said she will be playing at the Behringer booth at NAMM on Saturday with both Victor Wooten and Doug Wimbish. It sounds unreal, but I will be there with Zoom camera in hand to catch the event if it happens.

I'm definitely interested in seeing what you capture. Wondering what she'll do with Victor Wooten...his chops are awesome and his style is very far removed from Incubus covers.

There's one YT female drummer I'm keen to follow tough, Anika Nilles, this relatively newcomer is really good and she write her own stuff too, she just put a vid announcing her forthcoming vid this month, I can't wait to see it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEaDBHmuPDY

For those who haven't seen her in action, here's a link to all her official vids :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1AK3pClMialeTVYKBDs5MKZkw_VThRTA

Holy Cow! This girl is one of the most talented newcomers of any gender.

I've discovered Meytal a few years ago... and yes Mo, the way she dressed herself on those vids with the fan blowing in her hair and those look at the camera is certainly targeted at a male audience and it work to a point, yes she can play, no doubt about it, but the recipe's always the same and most of the vids are in the same format, which after a while is kinda boring... so I moved on.

There's one YT female drummer I'm keen to follow tough, Anika Nilles, this relatively newcomer is really good and she write her own stuff too, she just put a vid announcing her forthcoming vid this month, I can't wait to see it :)

Wait wait wait....

I just watched all of the official videos and they were no more real than any of the other multi-camera multi-take faux youtube videos out there. While I have no doubt both of these drummers are far more experienced than I and performed the recorded parts, and I aspire to some day play at their level, I can still tell a fugazi/fantasy promo video from the real deal. There aren't even any mics in one of those videos. It's like watching an episode of "The Monkeys" in HD where the guitarist isn't plugged into anything and the vocalist sings into mid air and prances about, as if anyone would be able to hear him.

Sheesh. Now here's what a REAL drummer looks like when he's playing.

i-feel-fine.jpg

I remember being at a Namm show a long while back and Ddrums had a glass booth set up with a girl drummer inside it playing. I was like aww another girl drummer, but then I started listening. Long story short it was Terry Lynne Carrington and she was amazing and I wanted to go home and practice.

You get that same sort of feeling when you watch Shelia E play. I like watching drummers play girl or guy that make every note count. Every hit means something. It has "HEART" and I don't see that here at all. Just my opinion.

I think she's great at Marketing and she must be doing something because were talking about her, so kudos to her for sure. I always hope that people do well, I don't wish bad things on any drummer, but me personally I'm not feeling it.

And Bo this was a good post. thanks

There aren't even any mics in one of those videos...

Wait wait wait...

I think you own to have a second look at all those AnyK vids... the mics are all there... granted, the sound is over processed for my taste, but she's the real deal.

Here's some links from her appearance at a drum festival, sound's not quite good, the second link is even plain bad sounding, but the playing's there... as are the mics :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AefM3oPhDJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf3hrC8hQFs

Sheesh. Now here's what a REAL drummer looks like when he's playing.

i-feel-fine.jpg

LOL...

Paul, George and John have their guitars plugged in too... :):):)

Last edited:
I remember being at a Namm show a long while back and Ddrums had a glass booth set up with a girl drummer inside it playing. I was like aww another girl drummer, but then I started listening. Long story short it was Terry Lynne Carrington and she was amazing and I wanted to go home and practice.

You get that same sort of feeling when you watch Shelia E play. I like watching drummers play girl or guy that make every note count. Every hit means something. It has "HEART" and I don't see that here at all. Just my opinion.

I think she's great at Marketing and she must be doing something because were talking about her, so kudos to her for sure. I always hope that people do well, I don't wish bad things on any drummer, but me personally I'm not feeling it.

And Bo this was a good post. thanks

Exactly what I was thinking. She looks as if she has never broken a sweat behind the kit in her life.

About as much passion as dry white bread. All fluff.

Exactly the opposite of Evelyn Glennie, Terri Lynne or Sheila E.

Back