Meytal Cohen? She plays, right?

M

Matt Bo Eder

So I liked her FB page some time ago and really like how she plays - it's here:

https://www.facebook.com/meyta1cohen?fref=nf

Every now and then she posts stuff and I see it whenever I'm on FB.

Anyway, so now, with those natural guy instincts, I don't even care if she plays drums anymore. I just want to look at her. She should just go into modeling. I appreciate that she's a musician and working hard like the rest of us in spreading drumming joy around the world, but I think for the girls, nobody really cares. We're more interested in the clothes they're wearing and what they look like.

It must be frustrating to be a woman. Am I pointing out the obvious again?

If Meytal was a guy with equivalent talent would he be as popular as she is?

I honestly don't know anything about how well she plays but see her name a lot on message boards, youtube, etc.

A model? That's a stretch.

F

Regardless of her gender and the apparent attractiveness of her body (quick aside, she is good looking), what really sells her is the smile. This is a universal thing. I always ALWAYS get comments on my smile when I play, both live and my youtube vids. People say it looks like I'm having so much fun and I make everything seem so good and easy. Because I smile.

She smiles too. I really think, ultimately, that's her selling point.

99% of youtube drummers barely move and look like death on their faces.

Matt, if it makes you feel any better, I'm only subscribed to your channel for the same reason. I mean, the playing is okay, but the eye candy is what we all stay for.

Somebody had to say it. Thanks for being man enough for the rest of us, Doc.

Last edited:
Just saw this great video of her playing with the Jordan Rudess iPad version of Moves Like Jagger - check it out..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBayKV3_cLs
That's good fun, & well played too.

This is an extension of Eyal Amir's project RNL that came to this forum's attention a few years ago. A very creative bunch based in Israel. I really like Doron Giat's playing on RNL stuff :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fle2Iuc_isI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0bwN-9GM14

Regardless of her gender and the apparent attractiveness of her body (quick aside, she is good looking), what really sells her is the smile. This is a universal thing. I always ALWAYS get comments on my smile when I play, both live and my youtube vids. People say it looks like I'm having so much fun and I make everything seem so good and easy. Because I smile.

She smiles too. I really think, ultimately, that's her selling point.

99% of youtube drummers barely move and look like death on their faces.

I find her smile when playing a little disturbing.

It seems forced...and innapropriate. Hard to explain. It doesn't seem like she's smiling because she's enjoying playing. She sort of looks at the camera and smiles. Which is a bit 'false'.

I'm probably over thinking stuff.

I do think she's really very competent though. But then most people are compared to me :)

I do think she draws a lot of attention for being a very pretty girl drummer, probably more than someone else might who was male, but at least to me, I give her full kudo's for finding a way to make a career in music in an era that is increasingly hard to make any sort of money at all.
Also, I'd like to think that she is a positive role model for other young ladies who would like to play an instrument. The more exposure she and other female drummers get, I'd like to hope that someday being a female drummer doesn't cause anyone to even notice. Really, the list of famous female drummers is very short, much like lead guitarists. And hopefully that gets more young ladies to consider drums as an instrument.

Sadly if you read the comments section on any of her videos, she does attract a lot of attention from a section of male fans which to me is pretty disgusting.

Minefield. This thread is a minefield. Send in the robots lol.

Ehh... I don't really like watching her play. Something just doesn't seem right when I watch her videos. She is playing the parts, but the sound doesn't seem to be lining up for how she is playing. Her playing looks very sloppy, but the sound is perfectly clean. There are accents and full crash hits in the track, but in the video she is just tapping away on the kit, smiling and showing off her cleavage. The sound and the video just don't link up and it racks my brain when I watch it. There is probably a lot of mixing and editing for her drum tracks in her videos, and perhaps even some overdubs that get put in there on some of the fills. I never notice this phenomenon with anyone else's playing. Only her's. And it's on every single video. Its like lip syncing, but on the drums. Something feels off.

If I want to watch a pretty girl play the drums, and I mean REALLY play the drums, I prefer to watch Anika Niles. Everything she plays syncs up exactly as it should: playing dynamics, clean and intentional articulation on every stick hit, etc. Anika is a phenominal drummer. And, she doesn't pander to the audience by wearing low cut shirts, short skirts, go barefoot, or have a fan blowing her hair around as she plays. That irks me about Meytal. Her drumming feels questionable, but her pandering is clear and intentional.

Last edited:
Mine is probably a very unpopular opinion. As a drummer, I find that she lacks any real meaning and doesn't seem to have her own technique. She seems kind of fake, and I just get weird vibes from watching her play. She doesn't seem to REALLY enjoy it.
Something else that bugs me is that her and her videos always seem to be overdone, with too much emphasis on looking good rather than just playing and sounding good. That said, I have only watched, I dunno, 5 or 6 of her covers. I just don't enjoy them. I also think that a big reason that people watch her is because she's a female drummer, which is not a good reason. At all.

Maybe I'm wrong. Probably am

Back