Cymbal Breaking paranoia :(

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
So as some of you may know, I have just recently gotten a new 16" Armand thin crash. I use it for everything. Rock, funk, jazz, blues, etc. And since I only earn like $50 a month (seriously) I can't afford to break cymbals. I'm just paranoid that I'm going to break it when doing rock. I don't really know how hard of a hit would break it and I don't know how hard of a hit it could handle. I think that I have good technique (or good enough), it's just that I don't know how hard I can hit it. Does anyone have any experience with these cymbals or ones like them? How hard can you hit these cymbals without thinking that their going to break?
Thanks

Don't worry about it just play. You'll never be able to play comfortably if you think you're going to break them. Cymbals are amazingly flexible. Just don't abuse them and you'll be fine. Don't tighten down on the wingnut, let that cymbal sway. Don't hit on a 90 degree angle. Just common sense.

If you really have to smash them, they are too small. Common sense.

I abuse my 10" splash. That thing is amazingly pliable. Good technique is key.

Thinner cymbals flex, so they can take a little more punishment than you'd think (but that doesn't mean you can bash the heck out of it with 2B oak sticks!) Agreed that technique helps to add life.

Bermuda

I have A Zildjian 17 and 18 thin crashes and have been using them for the last 25 years with no problems. I think you'll be fine. But it always helps to know if you're using the right tool for the job.

We'll, you guys are making me feel better. Maybe I should just stop worrying and just play.

Yep. Just play. And if it breaks, you'll just replace it. That's just the unfortunate nature of the game. When things break, you either learn to live without, or replace. We all wish we could be like Bermuda and have some 500+ cymbals in a storage locker waiting to be used ;)

I use Istanbul Agop thins, which tend to be even thinner than Zildjian thins, and I have had no problems. The nice thing about a thin cymbal is they open up so easily you don't have to beat the crap out of them to get plenty of volume. Trust me, I don't baby them, though. I swat 'em when they need it, lol, and they have held up fine..

Don't be afraid, just play.

I went through a phase after breaking two A Customs where I refused to practice on any "good" cymbals and went out and bought a bunch of B8's and such. After a while I realized how dumb I was being. I hated the sound and response of the cheap cymbals. I ran into a guy who is a professional drummer and this was brought up and he said to practice on the same cymbals I'd play out with. So I sold off the cheap ones and am back on better ones. So you aren't alone in being paranoid but like others have said, you need to just relax and play. Most everything is replaceable and cymbals are made to be hit, not sit in a bag.

Back