Beyond - dynamics - spaces

And suddenly, all's right with the world. Perfect.

Musicianship at the highest level. What a great way to start the weekend. Thanks for posting Andy. How does Simon get his toms to sound so consistent through the years regardless of what kit he's playing? Blindfolded, I can identify Simon's drums just by their tone. Been enamored with his playing since I saw him with the Who in 1989. When those toms came in on Amazing Journey, I swear Giants Stadium shook down to its foundation.

And suddenly, all's right with the world. Perfect.
It would be if I could play like that :(

Musicianship at the highest level. What a great way to start the weekend. Thanks for posting Andy. How does Simon get his toms to sound so consistent through the years regardless of what kit he's playing? Blindfolded, I can identify Simon's drums just by their tone.
Simon's always used toms wide open. He embraces overtones, & always has, mostly against the fashionable tide. He's also been using essentially the same toms for 35 years, & playing them in a similar way. Add to that his total control over his own sound, both live & recorded, then you have the consistency we all recognise as Simon's "signature" sound.

Absolutely great. Love the expressiveness.
Unobtainium indeed :) and that's OK. I would not enjoy it as much if I could reproduce any of it.
There's another track in the Drummers section. Love it.

Last edited:
and that's OK. I would not enjoy it as much if I could reproduce any of it.
You have a point :)

BTW, if you can make it to Paris on the 28th, the fabulous Nicolas Viccaro will be performing at the Zildjian day with Gavin Harrison & Thomas Pridgen. He's absolutely a name to watch. I played at the same LDS jam night with Nicolas last weekend. He blew my mind!

Yeah! This is my favorite thing I've heard from Hiromi. Simon just operates on the highest musical plane. This whole band is just crazy-ridiculous-virtuoso-amazing.

You have a point :)

BTW, if you can make it to Paris on the 28th, the fabulous Nicolas Viccaro will be performing at the Zildjian day with Gavin Harrison & Thomas Pridgen. He's absolutely a name to watch. I played at the same LDS jam night with Nicolas last weekend. He blew my mind!

It's a way to stay sane :)

Thanks for the tip! Paris is 600 km from here, not sure if I can justify that with the minister of finance after buying a cymbal the other day :) but will keep an eye out for Viccaro.

I'll be the first to admit I don't "get" jazz such as this, but I'd be a fool not to recognize the stellar musicianship presented here. Phillips killed it.

Great audio, listen to the whole clip if you can. Inspiringly "unobtanium"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-SV0xzKUYg

Absolutely wonderful, this Trio will never cease to amaze me... I'm still utterly gutted I missed the chance to see them last year :(

I'll hijack the thread with another clip from the same gig, the Trio perform an older song called "Move" but with different solos... and that look from Hiromi at 09:30 is especially for Andy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d88GGBH_aNc

Yeah! This is my favorite thing I've heard from Hiromi. Simon just operates on the highest musical plane. This whole band is just crazy-ridiculous-virtuoso-amazing.
They just keep on growing Larry. Simon especially is settling into the solo vibe of the gig. I'd be lost - utterly lost :(

but will keep an eye out for Viccaro.
yes, please do. IMHO, he's one of France's hottest prospects, & such a great guy to hang with too. A humble & fun gentleman of the highest order :)

I'll be the first to admit I don't "get" jazz such as this, but I'd be a fool not to recognize the stellar musicianship presented here. Phillips killed it.
I don't get a lot of jazz stuff, but somehow, I get this. It's probably Simon's rock sensibility easing my access. Live, they're just mindblowingly good!

and that look from Hiromi at 09:30 is especially for Andy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d88GGBH_aNc
Awe man, if that gig isn't already difficult enough, playing after 09:30 is a complete impossibility. If I was Simon, I'd go as far as to call foul on that Move. :) Totally non sporting act on Hiromi's behalf IMO (retires for a lie down).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Keepitsimple, you don't know how much you hit the bull's eye with that Hiromi link! I just bought the Move album and it's insanely good. I'm sitting here with headphones on and tears in my eyes -- headphones because my wife said after 30 sec she can't stand that crap! (I guess that's one of those miracles of life).
If you see a guy on the plane this week playing air piano with one hand while the other hand is hitting an imaginary bell, that might very well be me...

One thing I can't help wondering is if she gets more credit on pianistworld.com than Hannah Ford :p
(Before hell breaks loose, I'm not saying Hannah is even very remotely as brilliant as she is)

I have never seen Simon Phillips play better than here - and I've seen / listened to a hell of a lot over the years. Everything is just immaculate. I can't even begin to heap enough praise on his playing, but also (and this is far more of an achievement) on the music itself.

It's interesting that SP's dep for this band seems to be Steve Smith, which tells its own story about the level of musicianship. a little off-topic, but I wish Steve Smith would switch away from the black-dot heads - I thought he had a far better drum sound in the past, and that's something you notice right away when comparing the two in this situation.

I must go buy the album.

Hey Keepitsimple, you don't know how much you hit the bull's eye with that Hiromi link! I just bought the Move album and it's insanely good. I'm sitting here with headphones on and tears in my eyes -- headphones
I'm pleased to hear this. I like all the albums to date. All different, all with something new to offer.

a little off-topic, but I wish Steve Smith would switch away from the black-dot heads - I thought he had a far better drum sound in the past, and that's something you notice right away when comparing the two in this situation.
Quite on topic :) I think the black dots are too "bangy" in this context, & IMHO, generally better suited to concert toms (I know many all disagree with that ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg6g0X39CWA

That's Steve Smith playing with the Hiromi Trio btw. Worth a listen, but not as hi-fi as the original material on here.
Simon's & Steve's playing is an interesting compare in this gig. There's no way I'm getting into a Simon vs. Steve thing here, but the music seems so much more dynamic with Simon in the driver's seat. It's a tough one for Steve, he's required to play Simon's parts rather than his own interpretation, although he does get to add his own flavours in the clip you posted.

Back