Drum Gloves

I would also be very wary of Mr Torres pushing the products he gets paid to endorse. They may be the best thing since sliced bread,but how would you know?
He is unlikely to say anything bad about a company that gives him money.
On the other hand (no pun intended, oh go on then) gloves might be just the thing for you. Trying is the only way to find out.

I would also be very wary of Mr Torres pushing the products he gets paid to endorse. They may be the best thing since sliced bread,but how would you know?
He is unlikely to say anything bad about a company that gives him money.

Do you actually know that he's being paid? Most endorsement deals don't involve payment, only discounted or (in rare cases) free products in exchange for the artist appearing in ads and promoting the product.

I picked up a pair of the Ahead drum gloves. I find it hard to hold onto the stick with them. I may try to pick up a pair of the Zildjian gloves because they are a bit thinner.

If you want to go really thin, try actual golfing gloves. I picked up a pair and they were great for playing. I don't have a technique issue and I don't normally have to wear gloves, but this time due to the winter weather, the skin on the tips of my fingers started to split and I used the gloves to cover the band-aids on the tips of my fingers while they healed up. They worked out great. I thought they were a bit cheaper than drummer's gloves, but nicer because it was just like a second skin.

I don't wear gloves at work (construction) and I don't wear batting gloves playing my other passion (softball). I really don't see the need for gloves while playing drums.

I did see a drummer on TV last week, wearing what looked like latex gloves, for grip I presume? I'm constantly dropping sticks so I do need to eventually do something. The solution for me is probably something simple like grip tape......or pine tar :)

If you want to go really thin, try actual golfing gloves. I picked up a pair and they were great for playing. I don't have a technique issue and I don't normally have to wear gloves, but this time due to the winter weather, the skin on the tips of my fingers started to split and I used the gloves to cover the band-aids on the tips of my fingers while they healed up. They worked out great. I thought they were a bit cheaper than drummer's gloves, but nicer because it was just like a second skin.
Thanks for the tip Bo! I just picked up a pair of the Zildjian gloves tonight so I'm going to see how they work.

My new band name...Ha!!!!NOT!!!!!!!

I'm a 45yr old newbie on the skins.Been playing guitar for over 30yrs,so I've been around drum kits.

My main question is,what do you wear for shoes and do you wear gloves.
I wear gloves so I dont bang the sh!t out of my hands and wrists.Shoes I like these Nike wrestling ones.

I'm I being anal,or just looking out for my body?

I would say if you are banging your hands up check or correct your technique. How are your drums set up that you are banging you hands?

I'm not banging them up bad.I just like the safety net.I have cracked my knuckle on a rim before and it sucked.

I am trying my best on technique.I let the stick bounce,dont smash the cymbals or drums.Just try to make a good sound.

Totally self taught w/ no inklings of lessons.Did the drumchannel lessons for 6mos,but its all stuff I've learned thru the years playing geetar.Its counting.And you gotta groove w/ it!

Mostly the gloves are my wrists are so screwed up from skating,snowboarding and the such.Shoes just give me a good tight feel on my kick.Would just play barefoot,but I have damaged ankles too,so I get a bit of support from the shoes and theyre thin.

Thanks alot for the reply!!!
BNz'

Bone, If you need I can refer you to a good teacher in our area. He is very affordable and a great guy. Gave me a strong foundation to build upon and taught me to read drum charts.

PM me if you'd like his #.

Personally, I've never worn gloves. As for shoes, well opinions vary due to many different foot techniques. As for me, I can play wearing any pair of shoes in my closet with the exception of work boots.

For your hands, just take it easy while you're starting out. Learn some good technique. Spend lots of time on a practice pad.

I never gave shoes much thought until i got older. I have found they do make a difference when you play, especially if the sole is different. Just experiment with sneakers, hard soles, slippers, etc.; all of different thickness. I know it sounds crazy.

As for gloves, unless you are playing in a sub-freezing environment, I would not think you would want to give up the control of your fingers/hands on the sticks. :)

Personally, I've never worn gloves. As for shoes, well opinions vary due to many different foot techniques. As for me, I can play wearing any pair of shoes in my closet with the exception of work boots.

For your hands, just take it easy while you're starting out. Learn some good technique. Spend lots of time on a practice pad.

Thanks!
I have an electronic kit(SP5K) for practice.I use Ahead a/b hybrid sticks.They feel alot better to me than wood.

I thank ya'll for the advice and tips!
BNZ

NCC,Vans or any skate shoe works too!!!!

I went all cosmic about "what shoes to wear" sometimes back in my early thirties and tried everything that was out there Those Danskin leather dance shoes, Converse All-Stars (Chucks), barefoot, sandals, sock feet, etc.

The conclusion at which I arrived: play in what shoes you're comfortable in. You should be able to sit at the kit and play in any setting wearing any footwear. It's not the shoe, it's your technique.

I would advise against anything extreme like steel toed boots or high heels. Heels will not allow you the necessary leverage and control.

I went all cosmic about "what shoes to wear" sometimes back in my early thirties and tried everything that was out there Those Danskin leather dance shoes, Converse All-Stars (Chucks), barefoot, sandals, sock feet, etc.

The conclusion at which I arrived: play in what shoes you're comfortable in. You should be able to sit at the kit and play in any setting wearing any footwear. It's not the shoe, it's your technique.

I would advise against anything extreme like steel toed boots or high heels. Heels will not allow you the necessary leverage and control.

yep. what shoes you wear I do not think matters. my suggestion is simply to decide on one type/style/weight and stick with that so your foot is used to it when you play. :)

Gloves aren't for protecting your hands from drumming.
They are for people who experience sweaty hands when playing.

Shoes are a personal choice, as Billy said, play in what shoes you're comfortable in.

Gloves aren't for protecting your hands from drumming.
They are for people who experience sweaty hands when playing.

Shoes are a personal choice, as Billy said, play in what shoes you're comfortable in.

Ha! Finally an endorsement for gloves! My hands sweat a lot, even when I'm not drumming.

Forgive the long response OP, but you asked for it! :p

Regarding gloves. I only used gloves when I played out a lot. It was when I played with the highest frequency of my life. I was in three or four bands (a lot of cross over in members), one of which gigged very regularly. I used gloves on the gigs and at some of the rehearsals. They get nasty quick, and I found they would get stiff, so I'd have to wet them slightly with water at the beginning of every gig. Hand sweat is one component. I've also learned the hard way to stay away from Oak sticks. I don't know what it is, but when my hands start to sweat with an Oak stick in them, my skin and the stick get really tacky, and I'd get massive calluses and blisters. The comments pertaining to technique are true to a large extent. I've since reworked my hand technique, switched to Hickory, and have had no problems with calluses nor blisters in the past five years. However, I'm not playing at the crazy frequency I did back then. If I was a touring drummer, I could see me using gloves again. I never liked the separation, but when you're playing to make your money, you have to make sure you can play the next gig!

So, wood type and technique are two things to experiment with to reduce hand pain. Smashing a knuckle on a drum rim or catching the edge of a cymbal during a cymbal choke will happen, and I suppose gloves will help, but if I can play without gloves I would prefer that.

On to shoes. I've mainly played in whatever I was walking around in (sneakers from Airwalks to Nike running shoes). In the winter when I wore boots, I'd bring some sneakers to rehearsal or the show to switch into as I found if the sole was too stiff I didn't feel like I was getting the tactile feedback from the pedal I wanted. However, I never played barefoot as I felt I didn't generate enough power, and when those metal backed, balanced beaters on my Iron Cobras came back and smacked the top of my foot, it hurt! However, now that I'm a bit older and don't use those metal backed mallets, I don't mind playing barefoot. If I'm playing metal or more aggressive music though, I do prefer having a shoe on.

One last thing regarding shoes. When I first started I remember playing in a pair of split-soled wrestling shoes. If I was to ever get a pair of dedicated drumming shoes, those would probably be them. They were light and flexible enough to feel freeing on the feet, but had enough support to give me the feeling of developing a little more power with the pedals when needed.

I'd experiment more, and definitely look into your hand mechanics, as I think that is 95% of blister prevention. However, if you're playing A LOT and your hands sweat as much as mine do, (and if you can become a gorilla behind the kit from time to time) then gloves are an alternative I suppose.

Is there any other big name drummer out there besides Carter Beauford that regularly wears gloves?

Heels will not allow you the necessary leverage and control.

Love ya, dude, but you're totally wrong on this one. The attached screenshot is from this video: http://youtu.be/LweJGrdyAhI

What's on your feet is immaterial. It's technique and talent that count. As they say, Ginger did everything Fred did, except she did it backwards and in heels.

Attachments

• shiela e foot.jpg
    shiela e foot.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 372
Back