Phil Rudd

Wow. He's just been charged by NZ police for trying to procure a murder along with assorted drug offenses.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...r-in-new-zealand/story-e6frfmq9-1227114544111

Here's hoping the press are up to their usual tricks and the headline reads far worse than the actual charges.

'Attempting to procure' is the actual charge, so unfortunately it probably is as bad as it looks. Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but it would explain his absence from the recent London album photoshoot.

shocked to hear Ruddy would do something like that....Dirty Deeds done dirt cheap (If its true..alleged at this time)
...Malcom gone, Ruddy in trouble...whats the future of that locked Rhythm section!

From the band this A.M.:

"We've only become aware of Phil's arrest as the news was breaking," the band stated. "We have no further comment. Phil’s absence will not affect the release of our new album 'Rock or Bust' and upcoming tour next year.”
The AP adds that Rudd was released on bail and will make his next court appearance on Nov. 27.
Rudd entered no plea to the charges.
Efforts to reach Rudd's rep and lawyer for comment were not immediately returned to ABC News

Anyone have Chris Slade's number?

+1

In the Donnington Live extras, Malcolm & Angus said Chris was the smartest guy in the band. It wounded him to be let go and replaced by Phil. He thought they'd developed a tight camaraderie.

From the band this A.M.:

"We've only become aware of Phil's arrest as the news was breaking," the band stated. "We have no further comment. Phil’s absence will not affect the release of our new album 'Rock or Bust' and upcoming tour next year.”
The AP adds that Rudd was released on bail and will make his next court appearance on Nov. 27.
Rudd entered no plea to the charges.
Efforts to reach Rudd's rep and lawyer for comment were not immediately returned to ABC News

Apparently some German media has reported that he'd already left the band for health reasons, which would explain why has arrest doesn't alter the tour, if it's true.

+1

In the Donnington Live extras, Malcolm & Angus said Chris was the smartest guy in the band. It wounded him to be let go and replaced by Phil. He thought they'd developed a tight camaraderie.

I read an interview with Slade and he said he quit before they could let him go. He said he received an out of the blue call from one of the guys (angus, I think) and they said they wanted to audition Phil again to see how it worked. Slade was upset and told 'em he quit.

I get it though. Why would he stick around waiting to see if they picked Phil over him? Especially if he felt like he had a tight camaraderie with the guys. I think the Slade years were their best live performances. I always felt like he drove the band whereas I feel like Rudd just played along.

ALL charges have been dropped due to insufficent evidence (or lack thereof) ! anyone know the sizes of his Slingerland drums he used before he went to Sonor?.

ALL charges have been dropped due to insufficent evidence (or lack thereof) ! anyone know the sizes of his Slingerland drums he used before he went to Sonor?.

It's the attempting to procure charge that's been dropped. He's still facing drugs charges and a charge of threatening to kill a police officer.

The internet has already found him guilty. He could be OJ's new cell mate.

Possession of drugs charges normally stick is the evidence is incontravertible. You either have drugs in your clothes, house, car etc or you don't and it's rare to be charged for possession if they haven't been found in your possession, if you see what I mean.

If he is found guilty of that charge then that would mean an end to him touring as you can't enter the US if you are a non-US citizen with a drug conviction on your file. There are a number of musicians from the UK, Europe and wider who have discovered that.

He's already been found guilty of drug possession before (cannabis in 2010) and Phil had to persuade the NZ prime minister to make the conviction 'go away' so he could tour with AC/DC again. That isn't going to happen twice.

The fact that the band statement says that his arrest made no difference to any touring plans strongly suggests that Phil wasn't going to be doing the tour anyway....

I read through this entire thread and I'd like to make a few points. Before I go any further, I'd like to say that I'm a fan of his playing. It may be very simple but that doesn't mean it's always easy. I find "Let There Be Rock" and "Whole Lotta Rosie" to be quite difficult. Very simple beats, but very difficult tempos to keep up that long. At least without resorting to quarter notes on the hats instead of eighth notes, which he doesn't do.

But Phil didn't always play quite that simple in the earlier days. Some have said that it wasn't always Phil on the drums in the early days, but in the video for "Baby Please Don't Go", Phil is on the drums and he's playing a train beat. He plays a shuffle on "Go Down". And the drum parts to "Dirty Deeds" are just a tad tricky. Like others have said, he used a ride cymbal in the early days too.

Why am I bringing all this up? Some have said how his simple parts are about playing for the song. But that may not have been his decision. It might have been the Young brothers that insisted on that. After all, he did get into a physical fight with Malcolm and then left the band. I wonder if it might have had something to do with them insisting on super simple drum parts in more and more songs.

While I haven't heard every ac/dc song, I've heard enough to know that the drum parts got more stripped down in the band's later days. But in all fairness, so did the music. No more shuffles, train beats, or even 6/8 blues beats. Just more and more simple straight 3 chord rock.

All that said, I'm a fan of his playing.

Back