Extra sharp chisel 1 - finger 0 :(

Andy

Honorary Member
Well, it had to happen. Right to the bone :( That's 4 hours in hospital (getting x-rayd, sutured & super glued) when I should have been finishing a lovely drum kit! Banned from drum building for a week (but knowing me, I'll be back at it in a few days), & banned from playing drums for two weeks. Ah cock! - no playing for me tomorrow when David Floegel & Matt Cowley visit :(

Attachments

• finger.jpg
    finger.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 512
I was looking forward to some mangled flesh and blood!!

Let's hope you have a quick recovery.

Ouch! I think you should take the time off and let that heal right. You know how it is as you get older, it takes longer to heal ;)

But you can still play wind chimes.

I was looking forward to some mangled flesh and blood!!

What? No pre-suture snaps. Damn
I spared you all the upset of seeing that. Strangely, I was somewhat preoccupied with keeping my finger in one piece & applying a lot of pressure rather than fumbling for my camera!

Ouch! I think you should take the time off and let that heal right. You know how it is as you get older, it takes longer to heal ;)

But you can still play wind chimes.
Thank you for the infirmity reminder Bo. As for wind chimes, my left hand chime "technique" was never that strong anyhow ;) ;) ;)

Oh gosh ! Sad news.
I hate when that happens.

That is one big drawback from having to do construction, building, craft type work when you are a drummer.

One evening we were setting up on stage and someone had left a big roll of sheet metal on the stage. I needed some help getting it off the stage. I asked my guitar player to help me. He said no I can't help you because I can't take the chance of hurting my fingers. Smart man, he was correct !
It really made me think about not taking chances when you can get someone else to help you. Since then I always think about that.

Oh by the way Andy, it looks like you hurt your index finger on your left hand.
If you played traditional grip you could still play the drums while you are healing..........

Thanks guys. No playing for at least two weeks, & the injury is right where the stick rests. Right now, I can't even touch it, let alone put a stick across it :( I've damaged my left knee too. It's 3 times normal size, but that's a different story.

Chicken!

Don't you dare pull a stunt like this before LDS, Andy!
Cluck bloody cluck -----------

If you played traditional grip you could still play the drums while you are healing..........

No chance of that Jim. Can't have me looking like a real drummer, can we!

the title of this thread seems like trolling.... hmmmm
Trolling, moi ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Super glue?

You wont even be able to take manly pride in removing your own stitches!!!!

I can relate to this chisel thing....... I am a carpenter and have had stitches a few times, and duct tape a few more.

Several years back while doing some work on the house interior I managed to put the chisel to my left index finger. Didn't go to the bone but I still have the scar and thickened skin at the site.

Truly a pain in the arse, er, finger.

Just be glad that you didn't get a splinter to the eye, or worse, the chisel.

In the cold light of day, I'm fairly concerned about my ability to play med-long term. Although I'm mostly jovial about it, it's a fairly nasty injury. The damage couldn't be in a worse place from a drumming pov, & I've been told I may lose feeling & some function to the upper half of my index finger.

On a personal note, I'm picking up David floegel from the local train station this afternoon, & Matt Cowley's coming here for the hang tomorrow. I was really looking forward to some drumming shenanigans - bummer. That said, no doubt jamming will ensue. Madge is coming too, so I may get the Zoom out & post some footage :)

Back