After 6 months of lessons...

WaitForItDrummer

OK, so first ever post of my playing - It's a drums only funk rock piece from my course.

I know it's not brilliant but considering I only started taking lessons six months ago, and 8 months ago i did not know what a rudiment was, I feel like it's reasonable 'work in progress'.

http://youtu.be/-lQmC8tjrJc

Hi Waitforit, how have you been?
Good job, definitely not easy to keep time and not rush here & there.
Did you learn it by heart or are you reading a partition in the distance?

Nice job!

I am new to the journey also and I know how much guts it takes to post videos of us playing when we are surrounded by such talented drummers around here. Bravo!

MM

Congratulations! That was very well-done. You have nice touch and time and you understand musical phrasing. You are learning very quickly. That's a lot of skill to acquire in just a few months. I would say you are well on your way.

Completely agree with everything that has been said. Very good phrasing and feel. You could have rushed an awful lot of that, but you didn't, and your sticks look lovely and relaxed. Congratulations!

And you have a beautiful smile!

I think that was wonderful

nicely executed and your time is solid

you are well on your way

Thanks, Who Is Tony, that's a real compliment coming from you.

Wow, that's after six months of practice? Not too shabby at all. Well done.

Thanks! I was quite nervous about posting it but you guys are so supportive.

Hi Waitforit, how have you been?
Good job, definitely not easy to keep time and not rush here & there.
Did you learn it by heart or are you reading a partition in the distance?

Thanks, yes, I had the music up in the distance, but more of a 'safetynet' than for reading.

Nice job!

I am new to the journey also and I know how much guts it takes to post videos of us playing when we are surrounded by such talented drummers around here. Bravo!

Thanks! Yes, I do always feel a bit intimidated by all the pros here, but I figure, we all have to start somewhere, and it's good to share the journey.

MM

Congratulations! That was very well-done. You have nice touch and time and you understand musical phrasing. You are learning very quickly. That's a lot of skill to acquire in just a few months. I would say you are well on your way.

Thanks 8Mile. Thats a real compliment. I don't know what to say. I'd hoped one day I'd learned these things...

Just 6 months and already getting good independence of limbs, a nice touch with the sticks=nice loose grip with great stick rebound, good pace/good time-you're on your way. And you looked like you were having fun-which is the best part-it is. Job well done-you should be pleased with your progress. Keep posting your progress.

For six months, that's impressive. What I especially like is, you're playing the spaces as much as playing the notes. You do realise there's players out there who never get that? If you keep progressing at this rate, you will have a fun journey. Well done too for having the balls (yeah, I know;) to post your playing. You should be very proud of yourself :)

Kate, I like your musical ideas and feel. If you stick at it - you have enough natural talent and taste to have a great time playing with others when you feel ready.

Completely agree with everything that has been said. Very good phrasing and feel. You could have rushed an awful lot of that, but you didn't, and your sticks look lovely and relaxed. Congratulations!

And you have a beautiful smile!

Thanks, Madge! :) not sure about the smile, though. Playing still takes a lot of concentration...

Well done. Good stuff. Peace and love.

Thanks, man!

Just 6 months and already getting good independence of limbs, a nice touch with the sticks=nice loose grip with great stick rebound, good pace/good time-you're on your way. And you looked like you were having fun-which is the best part-it is. Job well done-you should be pleased with your progress. Keep posting your progress.

Thanks, GA! About the independence, my instructor has me do these ostinatos, where RF and LH cycle through 4 bars each of 12 different rudiments & inversions, while the RH and LF play a different pattern. Ridiculously hard at the begining but your body gets used to it eventually...

He says my current thing to work on is 'my sound'... Which is hard to work on when have to spend so much time playing with muting pads...

Thanks will do. Maybe post something else in 3 months.

For six months, that's impressive. What I especially like is, you're playing the spaces as much as playing the notes. You do realise there's players out there who never get that? If you keep progressing at this rate, you will have a fun journey. Well done too for having the balls (yeah, I know;) to post your playing. You should be very proud of yourself :)

Thanks, Andy! Had real trouble with playing the pauses, still do on other pieces, esp. when the measure starts with a pause, but spending hours with the metronome helps a great deal.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement :) I honestly did not excepect such a positive reaction, especially knowing DW has so many pros, semi-pros and talented drummers.
You guys are awesome :)

Oh I meant to say, it can be very difficult to make grade pieces sound like proper music, but you managed it. I particularly liked the bit at 0:58 - just had a real nice feel to it.

Kate, I like your musical ideas and feel. If you stick at it - you have enough natural talent and taste to have a great time playing with others when you feel ready.

Thanks Anon :)
I didn't actually compose this. It's a piece from a drum course book for the Trinity College, London.

Looks good! Your hands look relaxed too.
Are they all your guitars?

Back