Snare drum Olympics - help needed - opportunity!

Andy

Honorary Member
I hope Bernhard & the mods won't mind this slight bending of the rules, but it's under unique circumstances, & I need a bit of help. It's also potentially a great opportunity for someone here too.

Here's the issue: I'm looking to enter a snare into the Snare Drum Olympics in Nashville. Not just any snare, a real beauty. I was torn as to wether to enter the snare, because I could really do with displaying it at the London Drum Show in November, but alas, the timing is all wrong.

I'm sending the snare by Fedex direct to Nashville - all duties paid. Once there, it will go on display at the Nashville Drum Show, then go onto blind testing & the video review in October. The cost of returning the snare to the UK is high, & anyhow, I'd rather those fees translated into a saving for someone. So here's what I'm proposing. The snare is offered for sale after the event to a customer resident in the USA. I'm prepared to offer the snare at way less than the cost of crafting it. If someone wants the instrument, it will be shipped to them directly after the judging/video in October. It will have been played by the judging panel & a demonstration artist, so will have some mild marks on the batter hoop. It comes C/W a Protection Racket AAA rigid case too.

The snare (actual drum pictured below) is a 14" x 7" In-Tense series super light thin shell segmented English ash & ovangkol with Guru signature segmented ovangkol hoops. In other words, top of the line Guru. "Street price" of $1,824 plus shipping & duties. Production cost (labour & materials only) of $1,460. Offered this one time only to a USA resident, all duties & transatlantic shipping paid at $950. Effectively, way under half price.

Hope someone can help out here, plus snag this very special instrument.

Cheers, Andy.

Attachments

• 14 x 7 segmented cover shot.jpg
    14 x 7 segmented cover shot.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 370
  • 14 x 7 internal.jpg
    14 x 7 internal.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 330
  • 14 x 7 internal 2.jpg
    14 x 7 internal 2.jpg
    744.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 14 x 7 lugs on shell.jpg
    14 x 7 lugs on shell.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 329
  • 14 x 7 half dressed.jpg
    14 x 7 half dressed.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 327
  • 14 x 7 segmented 1.jpg
    14 x 7 segmented 1.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 328
  • 14 x 7 segmented 2.jpg
    14 x 7 segmented 2.jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 330
That is certainly a beautiful drum. I'm sure someone will take it and I'm also sure no one will offer any negative comment about the posting.

Good luck in the contest!!!

OK I'm definitely gonna see if I can scrounge up that amount! Thats the exact snare I had my eye on in that video you posted! Of course if anyone else has the moola now :( nothing I can do.

That is certainly a beautiful drum. I'm sure someone will take it and I'm also sure no one will offer any negative comment about the posting.

Good luck in the contest!!!
Thank you :) I'm posting this on the forum exclusively (for now). I'd prefer this drum to go to a forum member if possible. If it isn't taken up by someone here, I'll offer it out through the usual channels next week. Once I do that, I know it will go in minutes.

The competition is a leap into the dark for me. I'm usually pretty dubious about "competitions", but this one seems to be wholesome. Subjectivity rules of course, & there's bound to be strong personal preferences involved, but hey, it's worth a go :)

I hope Bernhard & the mods won't mind this slight bending of the rules, but it's under unique circumstances, & I need a bit of help. It's also potentially a great opportunity for someone here too.

Here's the issue: I'm looking to enter a snare into the Snare Drum Olympics in Nashville. Not just any snare, a real beauty. I was torn as to wether to enter the snare, because I could really do with displaying it at the London Drum Show in November, but alas, the timing is all wrong.

I'm sending the snare by Fedex direct to Nashville - all duties paid. Once there, it will go on display at the Nashville Drum Show, then go onto blind testing & the video review in October. The cost of returning the snare to the UK is high, & anyhow, I'd rather those fees translated into a saving for someone. So here's what I'm proposing. The snare is offered for sale after the event to a customer resident in the USA. I'm prepared to offer the snare at way less than the cost of crafting it. If someone wants the instrument, it will be shipped to them directly after the judging/video in October. It will have been played by the judging panel & a demonstration artist, so will have some mild marks on the batter hoop. It comes C/W a Protection Racket AAA rigid case too.

The snare (actual drum pictured below) is a 14" x 7" In-Tense series super light thin shell segmented English ash & ovangkol with Guru signature segmented ovangkol hoops. In other words, top of the line Guru. "Street price" of $1,824 plus shipping & duties. Production cost (labour & materials only) of $1,460. Offered this one time only to a USA resident, all duties & transatlantic shipping paid at $950. Effectively, way under half price.

Hope someone can help out here, plus snag this very special instrument.

Cheers, Andy.

seems a pity to send something so beautiful to America :)

Pipe down and eat your boiled sausages.

Andy, I'm going to see if I can unload some gear. Something about this beaut' just calls to me. I'd love to add it to my collection.

Red:

Yes ! please bring this drum to Phoenix, Arizona. Then I can touch it for a second and feel the mojo of this drum go into my body.

Pipe down and eat your boiled sausages.

Andy, I'm going to see if I can unload some gear. Something about this beaut' just calls to me. I'd love to add it to my collection.

Hey Red you have a private message ! From me.

I helped organize and deploy the 2012 Nashville Drum Show & Snare Drum Olympics. Didn't do any of the judging but man it was fun to tune up the 40 snares we had and play them individually!

This drum looks amazing.

I would buy this, Andy. I've been waiting to pull the trigger and I think this is the perfect excuse to do so. Just let me know what's needed.

Guys, I'll respond individually later when I catch my breath! I had no idea how much interest this would generate. I've had numerous offers to buy the drum. To be fair to everyone, I have to go with the first respondent who confirmed they wanted to take the drum. Of course, this means the drum is finding a home with a forum member, & that pleases me greatly. The member who bought this drum replied via email within minutes of posting the thread.

Again, to all who have responded, thank you. I wish I could sell these drums at this price as a matter of course, but I can't.

I'm humbled by the response.

My most grateful thanks to all, & replies later (I'm getting "the look" from she who shall be obeyed)

Andy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, just wow.

Andy you continue to top yourself in the generosity department.

You continue to be my hero.

seems a pity to send something so beautiful to America :)
Funny ;) & I know this is a "tongue in cheek" remark, but USA customers are amongst our most enthusiastic patrons. They deserve the best we can offer :)

So sorry Red :(

Red:

Yes ! please bring this drum to Phoenix, Arizona. Then I can touch it for a second and feel the mojo of this drum go into my body.

Sorry Jim, PM reply :(

gorgeous... absolutely a stunning beauty. I only wish I could swing it... sigh!
Thank You :)

I helped organize and deploy the 2012 Nashville Drum Show & Snare Drum Olympics. Didn't do any of the judging but man it was fun to tune up the 40 snares we had and play them individually!

This drum looks amazing.
Thanks Bill. Tuning up 40 drums is quite some work, but a journey worth taking :)

I would buy this, Andy. I've been waiting to pull the trigger and I think this is the perfect excuse to do so. Just let me know what's needed.
Larry, so sorry :( Replied via PM.

Beautiful drum, Andy, and I'm sure it will do well at the Snare Drum Olympics. My booth will be right across the aisle from it -- although I'm not entering anything in the Olympics per my feelings about the competitive judging of musical instruments (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1191777&postcount=24) -- and I'm looking forward to seeing and playing it in person.
I both understand & embrace your concerns re: competitions. I'm potentially throwing myself to the wolves, but no more that I do in a magazine review. I'm not someone who would usually entertain the idea of a competition.

I really do value your opinion, so very much look forward to your thoughts on the drum. I just hope their tuning is up to my standards ;) ;);)

Wow, just wow.

Andy you continue to top yourself in the generosity department.

You continue to be my hero.
There are much more appropriate & deserving heroes out there Larry, but you have no idea just how much I value your support.

Andy.

And, with Andy's kind words to everyone, I hereby fess up: I am getting the drum!

I did struggle with the decision... for about 30 seconds! The craftsmanship is meticulous and unique, the price is right, and Joe Morris loves his, so I know I'll be pleased.

Thanks again Andy, October's not too far off, I'll try to be patient!

Bermuda

Aaaargh!!! Trumped again by that sneaky Bermuda.

Edit: Andy, while we're talking about Guru drums, have you release any information on your "Budget" line yet? Am I thinking of something else?

Where am I...

And, with Andy's kind words to everyone, I hereby fess up: I am getting the drum!

I did struggle with the decision... for about 30 seconds! The craftsmanship is meticulous and unique, the price is right, and Joe Morris loves his, so I know I'll be pleased.

Thanks again Andy, October's not too far off, I'll try to be patient!

Bermuda
It was my only way of dodging the ban hammer ;0;0 ;)

Jon, this drum is about as far removed from Joe's as you can get. Joe's previous series piccolo is very focussed, yet "guttural". It was specifically designed with Joe's requirements in mind (love Joe -superb artist - great guy), Your snare is very open & expressive, & I suspect somewhat different from a lot of snares you have. I hope you enjoy the vibe :)

Andy.

Aaaargh!!! Trumped again by that sneaky Bermuda.

Edit: Andy, while we're talking about Guru drums, have you release any information on your "Budget" line yet? Am I thinking of something else?

Where am I...
No budget line - never a budget line from us, it just happens to be much cheaper by default ;) Info on the new "Tour series" will be announced just prior to the London Drum Show in November. Of course, it will be released here first :)

No budget line - never a budget line from us, it just happens to be much cheaper by default ;) Info on the new "Tour series" will be announced just prior to the London Drum Show in November. Of course, it will be released here first :)

Aaargh! Patience is not one of stronger qualities. However if I must then I will wait with begrudging patience for more information.

I'm wondering how you'll cut costs. Import hardware? Ugly pieces of wood with fancy paint on the inside?

Back