Don't believe everything you see/hear ;)

Andy

Honorary Member
We do more of this than you'll ever know. I usually can't talk about it due to contractual obligations, but on this occasion, I can. I'm talking about "ghost supply".

The hookup here is Middle Farm Studios who carry a Guru padauk Origin kit (amongst many other studio kits). This video is by the utterly superb "Dry The River", & forms part of their new album to be released soon. What you're seeing is a Gretsch kit, what you're listening to is a Guru :)

Throw on some cans & relish this superb piece of songwriting! Love the end power chord accent timing :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdyudQwQEKE

I promise not to tell anyone if you ghost supply me a kit....

I promise not to tell anyone if you ghost supply me a kit....
Not going to happen ;)

In all seriousness, when we supply drums for use on recordings, wether to a studio or to an artist, it's not for free. They pay for the drums/use of the drums. This practice is way more common than you'd believe, especially concerning the use of snare drums. Nothing wrong with it, as there's no counter claims being made, but a significant minority of recordings you hear or videos you view use drums other than the ones credited, either directly or by association.

Bottom line is, the artist and/or producer will take a decision on using the most appropriate instrument for the song. That choice trumps everything, including endorsement arrangements, so long as the optics are maintained.

Not going to happen ;)

In all seriousness, when we supply drums for use on recordings, wether to a studio or to an artist, it's not for free. They pay for the drums/use of the drums. This practice is way more common than you'd believe, especially concerning the use of snare drums. Nothing wrong with it, as there's no counter claims being made, but a significant minority of recordings you hear or videos you view use drums other than the ones credited, either directly or by association.

Bottom line is, the artist and/or producer will take a decision on using the most appropriate instrument for the song. That choice trumps everything, including endorsement arrangements, so long as the optics are maintained.

it must make you feel very proud to be used in that way. No one is going to know per se, but the recording engineers etc. want YOUR sound. that's really cool. just nails it home further that your doing it the right way.

really great. i especially love how they de-tuned & muffled the snare. fits the track nice.

I wish someone had "ghost supplied" my first marriage...

Your drums sound fantastic as always Andy!.

Hey, why not use the best sounding drums for a recording !

A couple of questions.
Are you implying that the drummer/band has an endorsement from Gretsch. And that is why they used Gretsch for the video?
Or is it that the drummer simply owns a Gretsch kit.
If they wanted to use the Guru kit for the video would it have cost them some extra money?

A couple of questions.
Are you implying that the drummer/band has an endorsement from Gretsch. And that is why they used Gretsch for the video?
If they wanted to use the Guru kit for the video would it have cost them some extra money?

Or,the band could have rented a Gretsch kit for the video..:)

In any case,the right tool for the right job.Why use anything else,when you can use the best.?The "Drum Doctors" in LA have made a living doing just what Andy talked about ...for years in the US.Just another part of the biz,you don't hear much about.

Steve B

it must make you feel very proud to be used in that way. No one is going to know per se, but the recording engineers etc. want YOUR sound. that's really cool. just nails it home further that your doing it the right way.
Thanks Hyde (notes rare compliment ;). Yes, there is an inner pride in knowing our gear has been chosen based on how it sounds. That doesn't necessarily mean it's better than other stuff, just appropriate for the song at hand.

really great. i especially love how they de-tuned & muffled the snare. fits the track nice.
The drums sit beautifully in the track. Very understated, no big dynamic capture, & that's absolutely right for the song. Pete Miles is a quite superb producer. I'm a friend, & a fan :)

I wish someone had "ghost supplied" my first marriage...
Your drums sound fantastic as always Andy!.
Thanks Jeremy, but sorry, our range of ghost wives for rent is somewhat limited ;)

Not only do I get to hear the Gurus performing beautifully yet again, I also get to listen to a great band that I've never heard before, double win!
Pleased you like both :) Dry The River are both gifted musicians & great songsmiths. Not a genre I'm usually drawn to, but I know a well crafted song when I hear it. The build of this track is superb, & Jon Warren's playing suits perfectly (drums).

A couple of questions.

Simply a timing thing. I only met Jon Warren (drummer for Dry The River) a few months ago, & this was after the album had been recorded & the video filmed. Jon owns a Gretsch kit but chose to record with a Guru. There is no endorsement arrangement with Gretsch hence me being free to talk about it.

I think our drums featured on at least 7 albums of note last year. Regrettably, non I can talk about :(

Video does not play in Germany.
That's a shame. I have no idea why. Wonderful song!

In any case,the right tool for the right job.Why use anything else,when you can use the best.?The "Drum Doctors" in LA have made a living doing just what Andy talked about ...for years in the US.Just another part of the biz,you don't hear much about.

Steve B
True Steve, I know of a few "companies" who target that exact requirement, & I'm not talking standard back line companies or manufacturers.

Back