Important question from the new guy.

Hi, I'm 45 and new to drumming. In other words, I know zilch about the craft.

So, my first question is :-

Which drummer / band was the FIRST to raise the drummer and kit during a show ?
And, who was the first to be flipped upside down ( intentional or otherwise) ?

Thanks in advance. I'm guessing some GLAM band.

Wayne

The first I remember using a riser was the Beatles. I may be wrong but that little riser on Ed Sullivans show is my first memory.

WOW Monkey, you were born to play the drums !

Right off the bat you discovered the two most important things to learn about playing the drums.

The first I remember using a riser was the Beatles. I may be wrong but that little riser on Ed Sullivans show is my first memory.

There are many pictures and videos on the interwebs of Gene Krupa's set up on an riser. I'm sure he wasn't the first to do so.

What's interesting is that the OP used the word "craft" rather than "art"

Back on topic...

I really don't like risers... but they serve a purpose.

Flipping upside down... ELP used to rotate Emerson playing the grand, but I don't recall any drum sets getting flipped around. Unless Van Halen did it on a video...

Last edited:
I'm sure he wasn't the first to do so.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he was, to be honest. He innovated so much of what we take for granted today. As well as being one of the first to bring the drummer to the front. To showcase his talent and turn the performance into a spectacle in its own right. If someone told me Gene was the first drummer to put himself up high in order to be seen, I'd call it entirely within character and could easily believe it was true.

Thanks fellas, that's probably all I need to know about drumming.

Wayne

Wow,have you got that wrong.That is and important question?Are you one of those people that thinks drumming is as simple as just bashing some drums and cymbals?Then take up guitar,and leave the real work/playing, to the rest of us,who are still learning after almost 50 years of playing experience.

The first group to consistantly use a riser,was probably the Beatles,and Buddy was the first to do the the spinning/levitating drum set,followed by Tommy Lee.Now you know two things about drumming that you didn't know before,and you must feel ,brimming with information.Have fun bashing away,guitar player.:)

Steve B

I don't know who used the first riser, but there are photos from the 1930's of Ellington's band
with a drum riser. I think I saw a photo from the 30's of Big Sid Catlett on one. As an aside,
in the early 70's in Europe I saw a drummer (double bass kit) from the UK that had a 7 piece
horn band playing things like "Slaughter From 10th Avenue" that had his kit in front of the
band on a large scissors jack that was operated from the drum kit by a remote. The drummer could raise the platform he was on to about 4 or 6 feet (don't really remember exactly..maybe
it was higher). During an extended solo he raised his kit and wowed the audience. Midway through his solo he rotated the platform 180 degrees so the audience could watch his foot work. He was a tremendous drummer and older at the time (remember this was about 1970 or 71) and from the the UK....maybe someone here knows who he was? I've never been able to recall his name but I remember the performance well.

Could you give an example of a less-important question?

Wow,have you got that wrong.That is and important question?Are you one of those people that thinks drumming is as simple as just bashing some drums and cymbals?Then take up guitar,and leave the real work/playing, to the rest of us,who are still learning after almost 50 years of playing experience.

The first group to consistantly use a riser,was probably the Beatles,and Buddy was the first to do the the spinning/levitating drum set,followed by Tommy Lee.Now you know two things about drumming that you didn't know before,and you must feel ,brimming with information.Have fun bashing away,guitar player.:)

Steve B

Hey, I'm from Australia, we don't take anything seriously. Except beer.
But seriously, I fully understand the dedication required to become good, let alone great, at playing ANY instrument. Let alone drums. He'll, I've just started, and already realize that it will take YEARS just to get my left hand to where my right hand is at now. I'm just lucky that I'm reasonably co-ordinated. I just wish that I had the chance/ inclination when I was younger.

But whatever, it's FUN, no matter where the journey takes me.

Wayne

Could you give an example of a less-important question?

Okay Doc... this could be a thread unto itself.

How about:

I'm thinking of getting a new set of birch... my (insert top of the line drum company) are birch too but they are just now getting on my nerves and I need to upgrade....

Where can I go to get my jeans embroidered?

Where can I go to get my poodle clipped?

Where can I go to get organic Vaseline?

Where can I go to get my zipper fixed in Hollywood?

Questions questions questions, flooding in the mind of concerned young people today ...

Where can I go to get my jeans embroidered?

Where can I go to get my poodle clipped?

Where can I go to get organic Vaseline?

Where can I go to get my zipper fixed in Hollywood?

Questions questions questions, flooding in the mind of concerned young people today ...

With the exception of the organic vaseline, all those questions are actually more important. Trust me, you do not want to wander around Hollywood with a broken zipper. That kind of thing might fly in Melbourne, but not LA.

Back