Bass vs. drums challenge video - released here first :)

QUOTE=BacteriumFendYoke;1274000]This is lovely stuff. I remember you being really excited about shooting the video and it's turned out exactly how you described![/QUOTE]Cheers Duncan :) Yes, I was excited, mainly because I had no idea how it would turn out, & it had quite a bit of risk attached to it. Managing audio capture in the room was a big challenge outside of the artistic/production considerations. Without isolation & lots of processing, it was always going to be an uphill challenge to get it to sit well against uber processed stuff. In the end, the big walnut kit suffered as a result, but the vibe was good, & that was always the first priority.

I forgot to mention, once we wrapped up the session, we discovered some distortion on the walnut kit channels. Despite the mic's being dialled right back, once George got thumping his stuff out, it fairly killed the mic's ;) ;) ;) Really, you had to be in that room!

I like this concept the best, because you have 3 distinct players, with 3 different touches and 3 different musical sensibilities, so it makes it even easier to evaluate the drums. All the players are top notch. I really, really got a lot out of this. You guys have created an original concept with these videos, and the lamp motif is just classic.

Of course the drums are gorgeous in both sound and looks. Even though I have a set, these videos make me want to buy another set. Or two. It's like when you get a brand new car and the next model year they improve it and you want that even more.

But I'm completely happy with my first generation Origins. Still, the new generation is hard to resist.

Andy, I remember that walnut kit turning more than a few heads in Manchester. The first time you got it out of the case and thumped it, pretty much everyone looked up to see what had just happened. I'm not surprised you got distortion! Big low frequencies have a lot of energy...

A massive thanks to Yolanda for agreeing to do this

At the risk of going off-topic:

What did Yolanda think of the Rumble-500? I'm looking to pick up something for my basement that's light enough to carry with one-arm, and I dig the classic look of the new Fender V3's. I'm just afraid that it's another piece of Class-D trash all the megastores seem to be pushing these days.

Before all you bass guys comment, note that I do not have the money for Markbass. I would if I could.

Are you looking for just a head? Or do you want a cab as well? I've been seriously tempted by the Ampeg Portaflex series of late (not that I can afford any new bass gear). Class D, light but distinctively Ampeg if you're into that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl4cWfCY12g

Dat P-Bass tone...

Looking for a one-armable-carry combo. Hartke, GK, Ampeg, etc all appear to use the same class D design. If you go into the back of a SamAsh or GC, you'll see a stack of them awaiting the dumpsman, as it's cheaper for the manufacturer to simply ship a new one than repair an old one.

Class D allows you to use smaller lighter components. This allows manufacturers toss proper thermal dissipation and longevity to the wind in favor of "light, cheap, loud", leading to an extraordinarily high rate of failure. It's not that class D sucks, it's that manufacturers leverage its characteristics to produce high powered, nice sounding, trash amps that die in a year and will burn your house down. Properly implemented class D stuff is awesome. I may bring a screwdriver to guitar center this week.

My other concerns about the Fender....

1: Controls are on the top-rear, so you need to place it sideways on an extension cab to reach the controls when playing live, which may be a ventilation no-no.

2: The amp is 350w at 8ohm and 500 at 4ohm. They sell an 8ohm 4x10 extension cab. The combo is a 2x10 at 8ohm. Since power is divisible by impedance, you'll have 250w driving the 2x10 and 250w driving the 4x10 creating a volume/timbre mismatch between the two cabinets. They 'do' offer a 15" extension cab at 8ohm, which makes more sense as the 15" has roughly the same speaker surface area as the 2x10 in the combo.

What about something from Roland? I always had good luck with my Roland Cube guitar combo. Not the most glamorous name but I like their gear.

In terms of issues with modern, cheap class-D amplifiers, they're covered well by warranty. I know there have been issues with some of the Ampeg models (heat dissipation - that seems to have disappeared with a revision a couple of years ago).

I wish we had a couple of decent bass shops closer to me (i.e. not central London)... then I could go and have a proper look too!

Sorry, Andy...

I wish we had a couple of decent bass shops closer to me (i.e. not central London)... then I could go and have a proper look too!

Will ping in a more appropriate thread when I find what I'm looking for. Hopefully keep-it-simple with chime in on the Fender's performance.

You know what would be great to hear in a future video? Let the drummers rotate, so that we hear how the same drumkit sounds when a different drummer plays it :)!

Actually, this is not a bad idea... even if it causes minor problems, ie: bass drum pedals, set up position, throne height, etc.

Dave, George and David have very different style of playing, even if they only demonstrated a glimpse of their own individual style, these guys can really play and it would be interesting to hear the kits responding to the individual player.

You know what would be great to hear in a future video? Let the drummers rotate, so that we hear how the same drumkit sounds when a different drummer plays it :)!

In theory I like this because each player will pull something different from each kit, though in terms of overall effect it might distract from the drums themselves by inviting more focus on the players. I could be wrong, just a thought.

In theory I like this because each player will pull something different from each kit, though in terms of overall effect it might distract from the drums themselves by inviting more focus on the players. I could be wrong, just a thought.

I agree. You should send me all three kits, and I'll rotate among them. Then we can try them without the bottom heads too ;)

I really, really got a lot out of this. You guys have created an original concept with these videos, and the lamp motif is just classic.
Thanks Larry :) If you got something out of it, it was worth doing.

The lamps are such an ingrained part of our videos now, they have to stay :)

Andy, I remember that walnut kit turning more than a few heads in Manchester. The first time you got it out of the case and thumped it, pretty much everyone looked up to see what had just happened. .
Ha, yes. They're too used to their weak bass drums with flappy tuning ;) I just want to shout "crank the redo"!

At the risk of going off-topic:

What did Yolanda think of the Rumble-500?
She's very happy with it, although she wasn't especially pleased with it in that room. Apparently, it's the first time she hasn't been happy with it.

I'm going with Grea's concern here my Alpine friend, although I can see it working in the right context.

I agree. You should send me all three kits, and I'll rotate among them. Then we can try them without the bottom heads too ;)
It would be cheaper to ship you over here - cargo, of course :)

Do you actually own a concert tom kit? Oh, I forgot, there's always tomorrow eh! ;)

Very interesting endeavor. Some serious talent all around. Yolanda? WOW.

hm, couldn't one as well say the three drummers already distract from the drum sound in an equal
manner because the setting is kind of "battle" like, where you're always thinking what the next drummer
is going to be playing?
Agreed, now I think about it. We won't be recording again for a while, but I'll have to dream up something to top this video = not easy ;)

Very interesting endeavor. Some serious talent all around. Yolanda? WOW.
Thank You :)

She's not just a great bass player but a kind, gentle, gracious and generous human being. I met her briefly a while back and she epitomises professionalism and grace.
Duncan, that is such an accurate & eloquently expressed appraisal of Yolanda. Such a lady, & someone who puts everyone at ease. Michele Drees is cast from the same metal. Total professionalism delivered with human sensitivity & sheer class. These girls have travelled every aspect & level of the business, & it shows in their approach. Getting good gigs is so much more than being a good player, but you need to be that too, & more.

She's not just a great bass player but a kind, gentle, gracious and generous human being. I met her briefly a while back and she epitomises professionalism and grace.

Meet her at the London Drum Show that day we all met and briefly chatted in a lift.

I've been a fan ever since I first bought Live Wood by Paul Weller back in '97 I think. Had to contain the excitement and play it cool.

Class lady

Back