Ideas on tom heads?

Emmaticus00

So right now I'm running a coated Emperor over a clear G1. I've had hydraulics, clear and coated Emperors, and Onyxs. So after this please don't recommend those heads. My Emperors are dying so what head should I get now. I've been looking at coated G1's and clear EC2's. I play rock and pop. So yea, suggestions?

EC2's are some of my favorites if you want to sit blend in with the low end, and want your toms to sit in the background with very few overtones.

I love my single ply Evans. I've used G14s and G12s, clear and coated, on my lower-tuned toms, and G1s and G12s, clear and coated, on my higher-tuned ones, and they always sound very solid but still with tons of head sustain. For reference, a G14 is the same thickness as an Emperor. You might try them on your middle-st two toms (if you have more than two) and see how you like them.

(Remo also has the Ambassador Xs which is their version of a G12, but y'know, that's your preference.)

I love my single ply Evans. I've used G14s and G12s, clear and coated, on my lower-tuned toms, and G1s and G12s, clear and coated, on my higher-tuned ones, and they always sound very solid but still with tons of head sustain. For reference, a G14 is the same thickness as an Emperor. You might try them on your middle-st two toms (if you have more than two) and see how you like them.

(Remo also has the Ambassador Xs which is their version of a G12, but y'know, that's your preference.)

Porter whats your favorite?

So right now I'm running a coated Emperor over a clear G1. I've had hydraulics, clear and coated Emperors, and Onyxs. So after this please don't recommend those heads. My Emperors are dying so what head should I get now. I've been looking at coated G1's and clear EC2's. I play rock and pop. So yea, suggestions?

Well, what is it that you like and don't like about those heads that you want to make a switch to a different head?

It's hard to suggest something without some understanding of why your previous head selections are not worth repeating.

Or else I'm just going to say Aquarian Super 2's.

Super-2s are a great option as well for a two-ply. IIRC they're 12mil.

Porter whats your favorite?

It depends! If I'm playing really aggressive stuff, I'll use a G12 on my 10" and G14s on my 12" and 15". For more usual stuff, I use G1 on the 10" and G12s on the 12" and 15". My kit is kind of different from most in construction but I used clear G14s on the 12" and 14" on my last kit (tama superstar) and those rocked too. Maybe you could try a G12 and a Super-2 and see what you think.

Well, what is it that you like and don't like about those heads that you want to make a switch to a different head?

It's hard to suggest something without some understanding of why your previous head selections are not worth repeating.

Agreed. If you're just going down a list of possible heads you could put on your toms then any of the ones you mentioned should work.

Aquarian, Remo and Evans all have quite a few videos or sound samples on their sites comparing the sound of their different models. It might help dial in how "x" head sounds different from "y" head within their product lines.

I've got Super 2's on my toms with clear G1's or ambassador resos. I play mostly rock, pop, and metal. I like them.

What have the previous heads been lacking that you're looking to achieve with new heads? Drum sound can be incredibly subjective, but if you can provide us with a better understanding of what you liked, didn't like, and are still looking for out of your heads.

Cheers!

I thought that the clear Emperors were too wet and had too much attack. The Onyxs were so warm actually I felt like I was hitting a heater it was so warm. The Coated Emperors were ok but I want something different. I'm not ever going back to hydraulics because they were sooooo dead. But I like a warm resonance like that of a coated G1 but I love the attack and tone of a clear EC2

I thought that the clear Emperors were too wet and had too much attack. The Onyxs were so warm actually I felt like I was hitting a heater it was so warm. The Coated Emperors were ok but I want something different. I'm not ever going back to hydraulics because they were sooooo dead. But I like a warm resonance like that of a coated G1 but I love the attack and tone of a clear EC2

A single ply head has less attack than a 2 ply head. Not sure what is meant by "wet" though.

I've been running Evans G1batters over G1 heads and recently recorded this video. In a week or so I will replace them with Evans G12 over Evans G1 Resonant heads.

I've used G2 and EC2 batters and am now in the single-ply camp. There's a brightness to the attack that I prefer.

Ultimately, you have to buy & decide for yourself.

Back