Bass vs. drums challenge video - released here first :)

Green with envy that David, George and Dave got to participate in this.

Top notch players, all of them. What a treat. You can't get stuff like this anywhere else.

Words fail. This was so enjoyable.

David almost wants to make me switch teams lol.

But not quite lol.

I enjoyed that very much!
It's amazing how good recordings can sound with no EQ and open bass drums.

I honestly don't know if I've heard a phatter kit than the walnut in my life!

She will be mine.....oh yes.......she will be mine.

David's kit was my favorite sounding (and David my favorite looking ;) ) of the bunch, but then, his kit was definitely the 'middle ground' kit. I love it. All very impressive. What were the snares?

Was David the one on the far left? That kit... Wowie. And he's quite the cutie as well...

Awesome Andy! I really liked the groove of the second guy, I did like his sound too. The third kit sounded the most generic. The first player made me nervous ;)

That bass player really lays it down, man.

I enjoyed that very much!
It's amazing how good recordings can sound with no EQ and open bass drums.
Ooooh, I must bury that one straight away. Unlike all our "Honest Capture" videos, this one did require mild EQ & other manipulation, but only enough to give a fair impression of the sound in the room. Recording was old school live, with everything firing into everything else. In particular, we had to dial the big walnut kit back a fair bit & take bottom end out, otherwise it was overwhelming.

that was really cool, I was really digging the drums in the middle, man what a groove!
Yes, George naturally as a big groove aspect to his playing, but all three players were delivering in a defined style for this shoot.

I honestly don't know if I've heard a phatter kit than the walnut in my life!

She will be mine.....oh yes.......she will be mine.
Well, not this one, but maybe another ;) The kit is much much fatter than appears in this video (read previous comment). I'll be putting up the honest capture of this kit in the drums section, hopefully later today :) Check it out.

Yesss! The far left (David?) kit sounded killer! I especially love that snare!!! What is it btw?
That's a 13" x 5.75" In-Tense series segmented English ash & Ovangkol with 'S' hoops.

Awesome Andy! I really liked the groove of the second guy, I did like his sound too. The third kit sounded the most generic. The first player made me nervous ;)

That bass player really lays it down, man.
All exactly as planned Bo. Dave (McKeague) was asked to keep it tense with plenty of displacement as a complete contrast to George (Cook) on the big walnut kit. The players, Tuning, playing interpretation/approach & kits were chosen specifically to show a multi faceted jam. I love the way Dave takes some of his stuff here precariously close to falling off a cliff! That's tension baby :) I'm putting up the Honest Capture video of Dave playing the Origin kit in bop tuning soon. You'll see the fluid yet slightly edgy side of his playing in that video.

Great video !

It is amazing how one company, Guru, can make such different sounding drum sets. I wonder what would happen if some of the big drum manufacturers made a video comparing their different lines of drums. Could sound ugly.

I think I would have to mix and match different types of Guru drums to make my perfect setup. Like an English ash bass drum with beech & ovangkol toms. Is that allowed?

Well, Liam likes the ash best, but of course he lost his heart to it in Manchester. He still talks about it. I shall buy him one when I win the lottery.

I'd pick the beech/ovangkol for myself because it's so beautifully melodic.

The walnut knocked me sideways. I don't understand exactly why. All I know is that when I heard the honest capture video, it made me exclaim out loud with sheer delight.

All exactly as planned Bo. Dave (McKeague) was asked to keep it tense with plenty of displacement as a complete contrast to George (Cook) on the big walnut kit. The players, Tuning, playing interpretation/approach & kits were chosen specifically to show a multi faceted jam. I love the way Dave takes some of his stuff here precariously close to falling off a cliff! That's tension baby :) I'm putting up the Honest Capture video of Dave playing the Origin kit in bop tuning soon. You'll see the fluid yet slightly edgy side of his playing in that video.

Or was he asked to keep it tense because many players play tense, and what better way to show off a great Guru kit than it being played the way it's future owner will be playing it?

Just kidding ;)

Outstanding clips and drum sounds!

Great video !

It is amazing how one company, Guru, can make such different sounding drum sets. I wonder what would happen if some of the big drum manufacturers made a video comparing their different lines of drums. Could sound ugly.

I think I would have to mix and match different types of Guru drums to make my perfect setup. Like an English ash bass drum with beech & ovangkol toms. Is that allowed?

Such a mix is possible Jim, but there's different ways of achieving the near identical results by augmentation of the same wood species.

Thank you for noticing the significant differences between the drums. Because of the construction, differences in wood species & other elements are far more profound than is usually the case. For example, the 10" Origin tom in the second half of the dedicated video has the same heads & exactly the same tuning, shell thickness, hoops as the 10" In-Tense tom (refer to links in the other thread - drums section of the forum).

Well, Liam likes the ash best, but of course he lost his heart to it in Manchester. He still talks about it. I shall buy him one when I win the lottery.

I'd pick the beech/ovangkol for myself because it's so beautifully melodic.

The walnut knocked me sideways. I don't understand exactly why. All I know is that when I heard the honest capture video, it made me exclaim out loud with sheer delight.
What doesn't come across in the video, is the huge presence of the walnut kit. You get a better idea of it in the individual video (separate thread). We "hear" with our bodies just as we hear with our ears, especially low frequencies (anyone who uses tactile monitoring will testify to that). When you're in the presence of that kit, the sheer power of it is close to overwhelming. There's a 26" DW collectors bass drum in the same studio, & the 24" walnut eats it for breakfast. In fact, even the 20" ash bass drum kicks it into the long grass in terms of tone & delivery.

Or was he asked to keep it tense because many players play tense, and what better way to show off a great Guru kit than it being played the way it's future owner will be playing it?

Just kidding ;)
Dave already owns an Origin series ash kit, so he won't have eyes on the latest beech version for some time (although he does love it).

Outstanding clips and drum sounds!
Thanks Larry. From someone with your ears, that's praise indeed :) Check out the Origin video in the drums section of the forum. We've tuned it two ways, & in a way I think you'll like :)

Each player was asked to take a specific approach to the grooves. Dave McKeague was asked to take a fairly displaced semi jazz vibe, George big ass grooves, & David a fusion approach.

Ah, that makes sense in context. Not normally a big drum n bass fan but I've come back to this a couple of times. A bit suckered in by the contrast of styles at that standard and when Yolanda's hits those big deep notes.

Ha, no it wasn't, but I just noticed I used the Ride quite a lot.... :)

Hehe, just wondered. Maybe you felt compelled to lift the intensity because you played last? Gotta have a big finale :)

Great video

Well done to all involved. Absolutely fascinating to watch throughout.

A real treat. Some great playing on show.

First heard this though the little desktop speakers in my office. Just got to hear it though the monitors in my project room. OMG, that walnut kit has a kick drum that sounds like what an 808 wants to when it grows up. As a smaller kit fusion oriented guy, I liked the ash kit and David's playing the best. But I wonder what it would have sounded like with coated heads and tuned down just a little. I also really liked the groove on the few linear fills George did.

Ah, that makes sense in context. Not normally a big drum n bass fan but I've come back to this a couple of times. A bit suckered in by the contrast of styles at that standard and when Yolanda's hits those big deep notes.
I find George's grooves infectious. I love his big linear style, & the ultra low tuning suits him perfectly. Dial in Yolanda walking those low notes, & I'm in "growl" heaven :)

Great video

Well done to all involved. Absolutely fascinating to watch throughout.

A real treat. Some great playing on show.
Thanks my friend :) We produced this as an entertainment video as a contrast to our usual fairly "studious" honest capture videos.

I was hoping a lot of people would latch onto this as something different & fun. Guess I learn more by noticing who doesn't chime in rather than who does :(

First heard this though the little desktop speakers in my office. Just got to hear it though the monitors in my project room. OMG, that walnut kit has a kick drum that sounds like what an 808 wants to when it grows up. As a smaller kit fusion oriented guy, I liked the ash kit and David's playing the best. But I wonder what it would have sounded like with coated heads and tuned down just a little. I also really liked the groove on the few linear fills George did.
Thank you :) In hindsight, the walnut kit is a touch low, simply because it doesn't translate on "lesser" playback gear. It's talents are more apparent in this recording though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQQwo_bv_N4

Back