First photos - In-Tense series black walnut stave

Just looks at drums and whimpers . . . :eek:)
My dogs whimper too, but that's more because of the bowel moving lows it delivers :)

without reading all the posts why don't the toms have wood hoops as well? What is with you and those cheapo cymbals too, get some damn Paistes already!!!! Nice finish on the wood, do you ever do a high gloss finish or mostly the natural satin style like this kit?
It's available with our segmented hoops on the toms, but I decided to show this kit in "less than subtle" mode.

Our finish is always the same - no options there I'm afraid. Two coats of shellac followed by several coats of hard wax, buffed in between each coat. Makes for a superb durable finish that's a breeze to repair if it gets bashed. Adds the absolute minimum to the shell to, & that's optimum for sound in these designs in our opinion.

Wow, just wow, that finish, those are a work of art, fantastic, great work Gentlemen.
Thank you :)

Oh god those are gorgeous. Walnut . Walnut. Walnut.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Yes, walnut is indeed a very satisfying wood species, but in this design, we had to take care not to make it too mellow. Walnut is reasonably soft, & delivers a fairly dry & short note. Coupled to stave's inherently focussed nature, that can make for a thumpy drum if you're not careful. These shells are very thin for stave, & that takes a lot of the focus out of the design, lengthens the note, & lowers the fundamental. Add some very generously fat edges into the mix, & you have the perfect blend of cut & thunder :)

This is the 'Espresso' kit as opposed to the lighter 'Cappuccino' model, I feel.
Great analogy Duncan! Minimum of double expresso though. You'll have the opportunity to find out in a couple of weeks time ;)

I have a complaint...I am not happy at all...

Putting these pictures up, is like sitting me with my wife and then putting Kaley Cuoco and Melissa Rauch in front of me stark naked ready to pounce! Its the biggest tease going...I am disgusted!

:)
My sincere apologies. Please find a more acceptable & tasteful image below ;) ;) ;)

Attachments

• ugly.jpg
    ugly.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 242
Hi Andy,

Another great looking kit, I bet it sounds great as well!

I was wondering, as I know you do a lot of research and testing before building, why are you using one long lug, connecting both the batter and bottom hoop, instead of 2 shorter versions (1 for for each hoop)? Is it just cosmetic or is there another reason?

I was wondering, as I know you do a lot of research and testing before building, why are you using one long lug, connecting both the batter and bottom hoop, instead of 2 shorter versions (1 for for each hoop)? Is it just cosmetic or is there another reason?
Good question, & yes, there's a very good reason for the design. As you can imagine, these lugs are neither easy or cheap to make (think Asian sourced lug cost x 8 :( so their design is very purposeful. Our extremely resonant shells rely on exceptionally low mass to deliver to their full potential, hence being crafted from solid T6 aluminium. This also means minimal footprint is important, but minimal footprint single point lugs place considerable localised strains on the shells. If these were thick shells, it wouldn't be an issue. The connecting 4mm aluminium bar takes tangental loads away from the shell footprint, leaving only lesser axial strains derived from head tension differential to be taken up by the shell mounting positions. I can't emphasise enough just how light these lugs are. By way of example, approximately 20 In-Tense lugs weigh the same as 1 Ludwig classic lug.

I'm looking forward to June even more now!
Get your big open rock groove head on Duncan ;)

OK Andy, I see, thanks for the explanation.

Oh, this is the one I saw in a more embryonic state! It looked beautiful then, but now it's breathtaking! I remember you telling me how it was going to sound. Is it June yet, is it, is it?

They look awesome! Not a big fan of the look of the bass drum hoops but they do look beautifully made, just prefer a more traditional look. I admit though, they do make Guru drums stand out from the rest.

Mark

Agree. The bass drum hoop seems out of place and not very consistent IMO. did you guys test this wood with smaller sizes? If so, what is your opinion?

And........THAT,is how it's done folks.I had a walnut steam bent vintage Leedy 6.5x14,that I should never have sold.Walnut does have a sound all it's own.I would love to hear what that kit sounds like.I have the distinct feeling,they will peel the paint off the walls.

Again ,Guru is raising the bar.They are all the Biz Andy.Time to go play Lotto,now.:)

Steve B

And........THAT,is how it's done folks.I had a walnut steam bent vintage Leedy 6.5x14,that I should never have sold.Walnut does have a sound all it's own.I would love to hear what that kit sounds like.I have the distinct feeling,they will peel the paint off the walls.

Again ,Guru is raising the bar.They are all the Biz Andy.Time to go play Lotto,now.:)

Steve B
Thanks for your kind words Steve. Care is needed, as I've only just decorated the demo room ;)

Approaching the Platonic form of drum-ness.
Thank you :)

Agree. The bass drum hoop seems out of place and not very consistent IMO. did you guys test this wood with smaller sizes? If so, what is your opinion?
Hoop aesthetic is likely to divide opinion for sure. I think it works in combination with the ash snare, but yes, would look more harmonious if the toms had the same hoops. Of course, that is an option.

Yes, we've experimented with smaller sizes too. They punch well above their weight in typical Guru fashion. Couldn't resist making this big boy though :)

Absolutely gorgeous....................................did you stop using the "S" hoops?
S hoops absolutely available. Wanted this kit to be open as well as bright in it's attack, so 2.3 triple flange fits the bill nicely.

Oh, this is the one I saw in a more embryonic state! It looked beautiful then, but now it's breathtaking! I remember you telling me how it was going to sound. Is it June yet, is it, is it?
Yes Madge, these are the raw shells you saw. I think they spruced up nicely :) Fancy a knock on these next month in Manchester?

OK Andy, I see, thanks for the explanation.
Always a pleasure :)

I might even go and practice now...
Surely. a little excessive ;)

Yes Madge, these are the raw shells you saw. I think they spruced up nicely :) Fancy a knock on these next month in Manchester?

Not in front of other people, no - but I know somebody who wouldn't mind at all ;) I'm perfectly happy to listen.

Back