Thinly veiled teaser thread

Andy

Honorary Member
Q = "Ok, wasting our time again Andy"? A = No, this is good stuff :)

Last month, we were asked to get involved with a project called "Beatloaf". It's run by two pro London based session players (Aaron Graham & Jon Warren) who have been putting out low budget drum groove/fills/licks "show & tell" videos just for fun. The style is very informal, & without realising it, the two guys are very funny together.

Anyhow, Pete Miles, who runs Middle Farm Studios (where we record our Guru Session videos), decided to take Beatloaf on board, place it in an informal but professionally recorded environment, & put out a weekly video series that players can subscribe to - for free. It's not only informative stuff, delivered in a real world way by two great players, it's a ton of fun too!

Here's the best bit, episode 9 features our very own David Floegel as a guest artist, & episode 10 features me as a highly reluctant guest player (more about that peer bullying experience later).

Just for now, here's a few video screen shots to give you a flavour of the setting. Episode 1 & 2 will be released this coming Monday (12th), & I'll put up a link then. Also the subject of a full feature in Drummer Magazine. I really hope you can all get on board with this - it's fun!

This is not a Guru Drums thing, we merely provide the drums, & for convenience, the sessions are bolted onto ours, & run into the night. One take - mistakes "n" all!!!

Attachments

• beatloaf B&W 900.jpg
    beatloaf B&W 900.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 375
  • Beatloaf screenshot1.jpg
    Beatloaf screenshot1.jpg
    797.4 KB · Views: 315
  • Beatloaf screenshot2.jpg
    Beatloaf screenshot2.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 316
  • Beatloaf screenshot 3.jpg
    Beatloaf screenshot 3.jpg
    600.3 KB · Views: 312
  • beatloaf screenshot4.jpg
    beatloaf screenshot4.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 311
  • Beatloaf logo.jpg
    Beatloaf logo.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 307
Last edited by a moderator:
Cool idea !!
I'll check it out.

Cool idea !!
I'll check it out.

Count me in. I'll be looking forward to your links!
Thanks guys, you won't regret it. The series just gets more funny as the episodes progress. The guys having fun pronouncing David's family name was a highlight for me, the call - "Andy, come & have a go" was a momentary lowlight, but the result is a great opportunity for you all to have a good laugh at my expense ;) I just wish the finished videos would have a shot of everyone in the control room. I was in tears half the time :)

There's a serious side too though. The stuff these guys demonstrate is both varied & well played, but always delivered in a down to earth way. I'm convinced this will run, it certainly deserves to.

Here's a little Q3 clip I captured just before filming started. Gives you a taste of the humour (you'll need to turn up the volume though). Of course, the real thing is much better, but I'm sworn not to release links earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTiVfWCGM-g& hd=1

Thanks guys, you won't regret it. The series just gets more funny as the episodes progress. The guys having fun pronouncing David's family name was a highlight for me, the call - "Andy, come & have a go" was a momentary lowlight, but the result is a great opportunity for you all to have a good laugh at my expense ;) I just wish the finished videos would have a shot of everyone in the control room. I was in tears half the time :)

There's a serious side too though. The stuff these guys demonstrate is both varied & well played, but always delivered in a down to earth way. I'm convinced this will run, it certainly deserves to.

Here's a little Q3 clip I captured just before filming started. Gives you a taste of the humour (you'll need to turn up the volume though). Of course, the real thing is much better, but I'm sworn not to release links earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTiVfWCGM-g& hd=1

Genuinely looking forward to this.
About how long are the episodes, on average?

This sounds like a LOT of fun! Really looking forward to it.

Genuinely looking forward to this.
About how long are the episodes, on average?
Each episode is around 4 minutes long, so nothing too arduous. Of course, if you want to play it back & learn the groove/lick, then it becomes a handy quick reference clip :)

Guru and Meinl in the same room? I feel so spoiled ;)
A variety of cymbals are used, including a pair of 16" hats (Bo!).

This sounds like a LOT of fun! Really looking forward to it.
It is a ton of fun. The first two episodes are a little played down in terms of giggles, but as the series progresses, there's a few pieces of comedy gold in there. They were recorded in the sequence they're released. The great thing is, there's no attempt at being funny. The sessions are so relaxed, & the chemistry between Jon & Aaron so good, it just flows out. I know David had a great time with this :)

so, they do this for free?
ALSO....who is the thug in the biker jacket?

You can't fool me, I can see right through your thinly veiled promoting of Middle Farm.......

so, they do this for free?
Yes. Both Jon & Aaron were doing this anyhow as a bit of fun. They both do sessions in Middle farm studios so Pete Miles (owner/producer) decided to help them out. Dan Broadly films came on board to offer services too, & so did we. Because the setup is already pretty much in place for the Guru sessions, it makes sense to bolt Beatloaf recordings onto the back of those sessions. Everyone's doing it for free. There's very much a culture of creating where everyone gets something out of it, & that negates the need for charges. It's a win win really, & also a lot of fun :)

You can't fool me, I can see right through your thinly veiled promoting of Middle Farm.......
Ah, you noticed the high quality designer logo sign in there :) Always happy to Promote Middle Farm Studios. If you're recording in the UK, you'll really struggle to find better. It's a place where music is made, that just happens to be a studio. Exactly what a studio should be IMHO.

ALSO....who is the thug in the biker jacket?
:)

Attachments

• me b&w x 1000.jpg
    me b&w x 1000.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 528
Yes. Both Jon & Aaron were doing this anyhow as a bit of fun. They both do sessions in Middle farm studios so Pete Miles (owner/producer) decided to help them out. Dan Broadly films came on board to offer services too, & so did we. Because the setup is already pretty much in place for the Guru sessions, it makes sense to bolt Beatloaf recordings onto the back of those sessions. Everyone's doing it for free. There's very much a culture of creating where everyone gets something out of it, & that negates the need for charges. It's a win win really, & also a lot of fun :)

Ah, you noticed the high quality designer logo sign in there :) Always happy to Promote Middle Farm Studios. If you're recording in the UK, you'll really struggle to find better. It's a place where music is made, that just happens to be a studio. Exactly what a studio should be IMHO.

:)

awesome pic Andy, also, everyone donating their time to this for free is just an amazing gift. almost unheard of really.

awesome pic Andy, also, everyone donating their time to this for free is just an amazing gift. almost unheard of really.
I agree, it is most unusual. We're not effectively the beneficiary in this, we're one of the "donatees", but of course, any additional exposure is a good thing. People coming together with different skills/facilities is a really good thing IMO. The only one who looses as such, is the tax man, because there's no invoicing. More than that though, it's just a great way of doing things, & breeds an atmosphere all of it's own. I love cooperative ventures :)

Back