Best Advice You've Been Given

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Just curious what's the best advice you've been given. It can be drum related, life related, whatever.

Best advice for me came from a close friend and fellow drummer who taught me "don't buy it until you know you absolutely need it."

"Dont be in a hurry to get in trouble." Sage words from my father.

F

"It is easier to carry two half-trugs of water than to carry one full trug." Not absolutely sure how this translates to drumming or to Life, but it's a godsend when it comes to carrying water.

First day of work as a 17 year old, and old guy said to me, Son, 'Never stop a volunteer"

I want that on my gravestone. I've used that all of my 25 plus years of working life

"If you want to play something fast, first learn to play it slow." Don't remember who told me that. Maybe it was me.

from my mom, she said drums can just be hobbies, i should have a proper job to make a living. although i half agree with this, because i want to be professional drummer, but the risk of failing is extremely high.

When I was a kid, working on dirt bikes with my dad, whatever sh!tty task I'd been given (cleaning old gasket material off surfaces was regular) I'd ask "Is this good enough?"

And the answer would always be "There's no such thing as good enough. Either it's good or it's not good. If you have to ask, it's not good."

Turns out, that advice works for other things besides old gasket crud.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

From my father, when working on something (cars mainly) and can't figure out how to remove a part: "Remember, it wasn't born on there".

I know it sounds like a snide remark, but his message was more to stop and think about it rather than get mad at it.

Don't set that on fire, Duncan. No, not the petrol.

That was the best advice.

lol, lost my s#!t at this one.

Actually got this from the Simpsons - Easy come, easy go. Seems to be true in my life.

Back