The Ludwig Acrolite

Yeah, I too am lurking CL, e-bay etc. for an Acrolite. There was a guy who played for the Animals back in the late 60s named Barry Jenkins. He had such a great style and his Acro had that very distinctive crack to it. I've been envious ever since. Trying to get back after many years of laying off.

I just bought a new Acrolite for $125. It's actually a "Black-rolite." Al Jackson played an Acrolite, which is good enough for me, but I've never really thought about buying one until the other day when I happened upon this one.

It was very well tuned when I bought it, so for now I'm leaving the stock heads on and I only cranked the batter head a little for rebound. The sound of this snare drum is really interesting. It's a "backbeat" sounding drum, very pronounced in a generic kind of way, a punchy basic R&B/blues snare drum sound that I'm really enjoying.

My new favorite snare drum, the Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite.

I never owned an Acrolite; I went from a 70's COB Gretsch 10 lugger to a modern Black Beauty with Imperial lugs. I still own both snares and I am a happy man for it.
I guess that I started at the top and I stayed there when it comes to snare drums.
I also own several wooden snare drums from Gretsch, Ludwig, and Slingerland
I have a full spectrum of great snare sounds to choose from.

I never owned an Acrolite; I went from a 70's COB Gretsch 10 lugger to a modern Black Beauty with Imperial lugs. I still own both snares and I am a happy man for it.
I guess that I started at the top and I stayed there when it comes to snare drums.
I also own several wooden snare drums from Gretsch, Ludwig, and Slingerland
I have a full spectrum of great snare sounds to choose from.

But Bob, this is the Acrolite thread, not the Never-Owned-An-Acrolyte thread, which, in my opinion, is a great idea for a thread for you to start.

Sorry Jay but I guess that I just never felt the love for the Acro. I tried several of them over the years but they had a weird sound to me. They lacked full body.
I would sit there over an Acro and get a 60's transistor radio sound.

Sorry Jay but I guess that I just never felt the love for the Acro. I tried several of them over the years but they had a weird sound to me. They lacked full body.
I would sit there over an Acro and get a 60's transistor radio sound.

Yes, Bob, it does lack body, I agree, but it doesn't seem to need body. It's instant classic snare drum sound, I think, a real whack of a sound that's fun as hell to play. It may be somewhat retrograde, but it's a good retrograde; it's retro.

I wouldn't trade my hand-made Craviatto steam-bent-shell snare drum for it, no, but it has something special that no other snare I've ever played has.

Yes, Bob, it does lack body, I agree, but it doesn't seem to need body. It's instant classic snare drum sound, I think, a real whack of a sound that's fun as hell to play. It may be somewhat retrograde, but it's a good retrograde; it's retro.

Hahaha... I have a 5" 8 lug Acro from '67 and a new 6.5" 10 lug limited edition Acro. Neither of them lack body. Kind of like a Supra with a throatier tone, IMO.

I inherited my daughter's Black Galaxy Acrolite when she stopped playing drums to pursue theater. I had some free time and a few spare parts laying around. Had some tube lugs machined with chromed posts and black nickel lug tubes Here's the the end result:

Attachments

• Ludwig1.jpg
    Ludwig1.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 1,853
  • Ludwig2.jpg
    Ludwig2.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 1,842
  • Ludwig3.jpg
    Ludwig3.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 1,839
  • Ludwig4.jpg
    Ludwig4.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 1,855
  • Ludwig7.jpg
    Ludwig7.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 1,838
I inherited my daughter's Black Galaxy Acrolite when she stopped playing drums to pursue theater. I had some free time and a few spare parts laying around. Had some tube lugs machined with chromed posts and black nickel lug tubes Here's the the end result:

That is the best looking acro I've seen

Classy. And are those die cast hoops?

Classy. And are those die cast hoops?

Thanks. They are actually S-Hoops. Structurally, much stronger than than die cast hoops. Sonically, they are in-between a triple flanged hoop and a die cast. The tube lugs open up the sound of the shell slightly over the stock bow tie lugs and the S-Hoops dial back in some of the focus.

And to all the diehard Ludwig purists rolling over in your graves, my profound apologies.

Last edited:
Just finished my own customized Acro. RCK throw off, S-hoops, Skyntone batter, diplomat hazy snare side, Puresound concert 12 wire snares. Sensitive as the dickens!

Attachments

• IMGP1822.JPG
    IMGP1822.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 1,763
  • IMGP1823.JPG
    IMGP1823.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 1,775
  • IMGP1825.JPG
    IMGP1825.JPG
    412.1 KB · Views: 1,742
  • IMGP1826.JPG
    IMGP1826.JPG
    413.2 KB · Views: 1,734
Heres my recent restoration.

Stripped it down and had it copper plated. I'm pleased with the results. Debating on putting the tube lugs on it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great looking copper! at some point, I am going to put tube lugs on my refurbished
acro too.

Thanks. I like the bow ties but I really am interested in seeing what it would look like with tubes.

That looks great................just curious, but how much did that set you back?

Thanks. A LOT of hard work doing all of the prep and a guy who owed me a favor who dipped it. Then a LOT of polishing and prep for a clear coat that I applied myself with the guidance of an automotive body guy who led me by the hand through that.

So it cost me two favors and a lot of hours, but the drum has a lot of sentimental value because my father bought it for me many years ago.

And now you gave this drum new life,a new look ,all of which makes you want to show it off(rightfully so) and play it till your hands bleed.I've seen acros,mico polished to where the aluminum shined like chrome,and clearcoated,This guy then added tube lugs and single flange COB rims with rim clips,with an original P-83 strainer.The drum looked stunning,and the owner says it sounded great also.

I've also seen then anodized black with imperial lugs.Definate eye candy.They look like a BB.Some day.I'd like to black anodize one,add chrome single flange rims,clips,and chrome P-86,and have it engraved by John Aldridge.

The versatality of the acro, has seemingly no bounds,and serves as a great sounding platform for customization.Very cool.

Steve B

Last edited:
I have to agree. Considering that they are world class drums in my estimation, this is a great time to buy them up before they get to ridiculous in price. Customized Acrolites could be a whole new boutique item! I am kind of surprised that Ludwig hasn't made more varieties of them like they did Supras. Bronze or brass 8 lugs would be awesome!

My Black Galaxy Acro is the "biggest" sounding snare I own, and it also happens to be the shortest in depth... Weird!

It also happens to be for sale, as I'm trying to fund a move into a new home! :p

Back