Very excited!

Andy

Honorary Member
Off to see Simon Phillips on Tuesday night performing with Hiromi in her Trio project with Anthony Jackson on bass. I've been waiting a long time for the trio project to come to the UK with Simon on drums. Only found out about it last minute, & it makes for a long & expensive night, but it's worth it for this one off.

Special venue too, the Cadogan Hall in London. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxYw7Y45Eo

Attachments

• choirs_lge.jpg
    choirs_lge.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 402
I NEED to see that trio live, both Voice and Move have been playing frequently in the headphones since I came across Hiromis music.

You're gonna have a good time, enjoy. :)

Enjoy! Like you, I so admire Simon's brilliance in whatever setting he finds himself in. Has an uncanny ability to make the right drumming decisions for the music.

Awesome venue for a great show! I got to speak with Anthony Jackson at this year's NAMM and he was surprised when I mentioned some of the projects he's played on (I guess I'm a fan) - a very humble giant. Have a great time!

Enjoy! Like you, I so admire Simon's brilliance in whatever setting he finds himself in. Has an uncanny ability to make the right drumming decisions for the music.

I totally agree, anything that Simon plays just sounds right. I couldn't imagine that any other drummer would fit better in the Hiromi trio. Have you seen the concert with Steve Smith playing with Hiromi? While Steve Smith is a fantastic drummer as well, his playing just doesn't feel quite right with Hiromi, I think her music needs that solid rock sound, and feel, to avoid her free spirited playing from spiraling out of control. :)

If I were to pick another drummer for Hiromi out of curiosity: Dave Weckl.

Last edited:
You have to read the comments under the video link from the original post. I like this one particularly:

"The bass player seems like the weakest link here. He keeps the beat but he doesn't really play out where he should and looks like he's constantly struggling just to play his instrument. Why did she pick that guy?"

Anthony Jackson. Anthony Effing Jackson. "Where did she pick that guy?" Brilliant!!

You have to read the comments under the video link from the original post. I like this one particularly:

"The bass player seems like the weakest link here. He keeps the beat but he doesn't really play out where he should and looks like he's constantly struggling just to play his instrument. Why did she pick that guy?"

Wow. There's a peanut gallery comment!

Holy crap!!! Where have I been? I've never heard her before. Awesome!!!!!! I'd be excited to to see them as well.

I think I'm jealous.I know Simon is one of, if not your all time favorite drummer.The guy is comfortable playing lots of styles,and make it look and sound like he's been doing it forever,with no struggling at all.BTW,I think the bass player was just fine thank you.

Have a great time Andy.Cheers.

Steve B

Last edited:
Thanks for the best wishes guys :)

I'm a bit bummed because I could have had comp tickets for Monday night's performance, but I had prior arrangements that couldn't be changed. I don't mind so much though. happy to drop some coin on a gig that I fully expect to exhilarate me.

Anthony Jackson. Anthony Effing Jackson. "Where did she pick that guy?" Brilliant!!
Erm, beyond belief really. Just because Anthony isn't shredding on that particular track, he's automatically a pedestrian player who's not up to the task. Wow, just wow! I'd like to ask the "author" of that comment just where exactly he thinks there's space to do so? Perhaps he can enlighten us all with further pearls of compositional wisdom from his bedroom cover "studio" ;)

Hiromi is a force of nature. I can't say Simon is my favorite player with her but he does a nice job with the music. Sometimes I wish he would just cut loose with it. He does his thing, as usual, but with her, the sense of urgency and explosive nature of the music just seems lessened with Simon's more broad, laid back approach compared to other players she has used. But there's an obvious chemistry there and it works.

I'd love to see her play with Gergo Borlai or Ronald Bruner.

Hiromi is a force of nature. I can't say Simon is my favorite player with her but he does a nice job with the music. Sometimes I wish he would just cut loose with it. He does his thing, as usual, but with her, the sense of urgency and explosive nature of the music just seems lessened with Simon's more broad, laid back approach compared to other players she has used. But there's an obvious chemistry there and it works.

I'd love to see her play with Gergo Borlai or Ronald Bruner.
Yes, I admit it, I'm a Simon Phillips admirer, but that doesn't mean I like everything he does. For example, I don't rate his solos. Then again, I don't like solos much from anyone. It's his in music ability that I admire, & I view his contribution in Hiromi's trio in the context of a rhythm section with Anthony Jackson. Together, they provide a solid landscape for Hiromi to navigate as she sees fit. For me, that's the right decision. Juxtaposition that with Simon's performances in the latest Protocol II live shows, & cutting loose abounds :)

There's another aspect to Simon's performances that many don't appreciate, & that's the power he delivers live. Somehow that doesn't translate very often through recordings, but hear his performances up close, & it's difficult to ignore his level of authority.

Simon is Simon. By that I mean he has a voice which is recognizable. And I hear it with Hiromi. It's an authoritative voice, for sure. When I watch vids of Hiromi with other drummers she seems to pull things out of them as they weave in and out of her compositions. With Simon, and perhaps this is exactly what she wants, Simon plays Simon. He remains his cool self. That seems to be the case in all the gigs I have heard him in. He always seems ... measured to me, for the fusion gigs. That's his voice and style.

Of course, Steve Smith, great as he is, said playing with Hiromi was intimidating. The complexity of it, and the energy levels she exudes. I suppose drummers just try to keep up and stay with her, and yes, provide the solid base for her. She's an astounding talent.

Simon is Simon. By that I mean he has a voice which is recognizable. And I hear it with Hiromi. It's an authoritative voice, for sure. When I watch vids of Hiromi with other drummers she seems to pull things out of them as they weave in and out of her compositions. With Simon, and perhaps this is exactly what she wants, Simon plays Simon. He remains his cool self. That seems to be the case in all the gigs I have heard him in. He always seems ... measured to me, for the fusion gigs. That's his voice and style.

Of course, Steve Smith, great as he is, said playing with Hiromi was intimidating. The complexity of it, and the energy levels she exudes. I suppose drummers just try to keep up and stay with her, and yes, provide the solid base for her. She's an astounding talent.
Oh, for sure. Intimidated doesn't even get close to how I'd feel playing in her trio, or any other setting for that matter. Suicidal & running for the nearest exit is probably nearer the truth :(

I had a taste of that at the end of our latest Guru session, but in a different way. I'll describe it in full detail when I post about it in a few weeks time, but I was put right on the spot, & in quite the most peer pressure intimidating way. You'll all have ample opportunity to laugh your tits off at the results :(

Back