New - official Guru In-Tense video starring David Floegel!

Very nice representation of a fabulous sounding drum set Andy. My only question is how can one get a Guru shirt? LOL

Just for future reference, Im not THAT Florian....but I do play Sonor and I do have mad Ninja skills on the drums.

F

Andy, great to see the Guru story continue onwards and upwards. These drums sound amazing!

Last edited:
Swoon!

(I was tempted to say "What drums?")

I like the middle tom best, too, but I also enjoyed the cheeky "piping" sound from the little one. And I love that pale, palomino colour.

Looking forward to the article! I do hope there are lots of photos.

You *&$%(#*!

It's ok, I'll get my vengeance. I'll be seeing you fairly soon...
Great! I look forward to your dry wit onslaught ;)

Wow, even with a related discount?

How unaffordable are these GURU drum$ anyway?
In-Tense 3 piece shell set costs £3,800 (about $6,300USD).

PLUS my sq2 sounds fantastic and I spent almost 8 years saving up money! I'm not gonna sell it for anything
Completely understood, accepted, & welcome.

Guys, I'm keen not to derail this thread with examination of the agreement between Guru drums & David. We like David's playing, & believe in him as a player in the long term. We also like him very much as a person. He's exactly the kind of artist we like to work with. David will take a Guru snare drum in the next month or two. I know his opinion of our drums, & I'll let him explain that if he so wishes. Really, it's very simple. We've made a friendly arrangement to support each other's endeavours. I see no conflict of interest whatsoever. Can we leave it at that please.

I have yet to see an SQ2 lose to pretty much anything. A total exception with regard to ply construction.

A Craviotto addict on another board just happened upon an SQ2.. Now is in the process of selling his Craviottos.
In-Tense is fundamentally different to the Craviotto construction in many ways. Just because they're both steam bent shells, does not make them comparable. The shell construction method is very different indeed. I wouldn't normally raise this, but as you have, we're supplying two customers with In-Tense kits in the coming weeks. Both of them have sold their Craviotto kits to get an In-Tense kit. That's not a negative reflection on Craviotto (who, IMHO make great drums), it's a reflection of the customer's personal preferences.

Yeah... I've hinted at it b/f, SQ2 in the room as a control during the next GURU sound test.

"LETS GET READY TO RUUUUUMMMMBLE"!!! kind of action. Andy said he don't play dat tho.
Not going to happen. I'm most against any form of negative marketing by those who have a vested interest in the outcome. If someone independent wants to do that, it's fine. if someone wants to make that comparison for themselves, they're welcome to bring whatever drums they wish to our demo room, & A-B them all day long.

Actually, to some extent, David is able to make that comparison, although he's never played a Guru kit in the sizes he prefers, so it's more of an overall impression really. However, he is able to directly compare snare drums, & I think his decision is self evident there.

Excellent video!

Really nice drums!
Thanks Ian :)

Yes, sir. They are the most incredible drums I've ever heard.

(and I ain't just whistling Dixie)
Wow, high praise indeed :)

Very nice! Great playing and a great representation of what the kit sounds like! Nice job with those drums Guru-folks!
Thanks Bo, I'm glad you like the way we present the drums. It's as honest as we can manage, & done very quickly too. I'm pleased with the results :)

Very nice representation of a fabulous sounding drum set Andy. My only question is how can one get a Guru shirt? LOL
We have the artist shirts that David is wearing in the video. Not cheap though. We're planning on some screen printed Tshirts that will be more affordable.

Just for future reference, Im not THAT Florian....but I do play Sonor and I do have mad Ninja skills on the drums.

F
Ah, sorry, my bad. I jumped to conclusions. Glad to hear of the mad Ninja skills. Perhaps you can guest on the next Beatloaf series of videos? I had to, & compared to the other guys, I can't play for s86%t!

Andy, great to see the Guru story continue onwards and upwards. These drums sound amazing!

Thank you so much Abe. It means a lot to me that you chimed in here :)

Swoon!

(I was tempted to say "What drums?")

I like the middle tom best, too, but I also enjoyed the cheeky "piping" sound from the little one. And I love that pale, palomino colour.

Looking forward to the article! I do hope there are lots of photos.
Lots of photo's in David's interview/article coming up in Drummer magazine. Do you want me to order 100 copies for you ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
6300.00 for a 3 piece? that has to be a typo.

It's not a typo. It's a reflection of the holistic process that Guru goes through to create these instruments that are, in my opinion, some of the finest drums that exist.

Indeed, and if you ask Andy about what it costs them to make these drums... The price is really fair!
I won't bore everyone by listing all the exceptional costs that go into these instruments, but I will pull out a few examples. We're a zero compromise creator of drums. In basic terms, that means if it makes a difference to the sound, we do it. Not completely irrespective of cost, but cost is lower down the list compared to other considerations.

Every part of these drums (with the exception of branded choices such as S hoops & strainers, plus heads & snare wires) is made in the UK. That's not a patriotic choice, it's based on doing things in a location that can meet our demanding specifications. The ultra low mass hardware for the 3 drums (lugs, spurs, legs, brackets, etc) is all made from T6 grade aluminium, & machined from solid. The hardware set costs us $1,780. A typical construction hardware set made in Asia would cost about 90% less. Difficult to put a figure on it, but at a guess, I'd say the hardware releases an additional 10% - 15% resonance from the shell. Worth it? Well, to us - yes.

Our fixed costs (excluding marketing activities & personal remuneration (currently zero) average 80% of the sales price of the instrument. That compares to way less than half that for other high end drums. It takes an average of 120 man hours of skilled crafting over a 4 month period to make a 3 piece shell set.

Our drums are comparatively priced against upper range well known makes of solid shell drums of much lower production cost.

We're always honest with our clients, & say you can get 90% of the Guru sound for half the price. Wether that extra 10% is worth it or not, well, that's a personal preference & context thing.

BTW, the price example includes a full set of Protection Racket AAA cases, & you won't have to replace the stock heads because your high end drum was delivered with own brand cheap offshore imitations of Remo & Evans heads.

The cost from a practical standpoint could be viewed as an investment. Like any investment, there's a risk. Should GURU 'make it' so to speak as a drum co, the investment may hold over time.

The price discussion does amuse me a little. I've played Guru drums a few times and they are nothing but the best.

Compare the cost of a set of these drums against high-end Classical instruments and it puts it into perspective, for me. A half-decent Grand Piano will set you back over £15,000. A high-end double bass starts at about £4,000 and can go as high as you like. Good French Horns start at about £3,000. Boutique electric basses start at £2,000 and can go up to £30,000 (if you want an Alembic).

Drums are obscenely cheap instruments. As instruments go, most drums and guitars benefit from mass-production - which gives us a false perspective on how much instruments cost in other segments of the market.

I'd actually go as far to say as I think the Guru kits are a bargain.

Back