Prototype tom depths

Guru Drums

As it's a lovely day, & I'm building in the shop, I thought I'd just take a couple of photo's of the pre production prototype toms we'll be videoing on the 9th. All 10" diameter, but 6", 8.5", & 11.5" deep respectively. All steam bent English ash In-Tense series shells, same edges, heads, hoops, etc.

Haven't worked out the video plan yet. Don't even know if we'll use all three, but if we do, I'll see if we have time to do a same tuning / different depth comparison. These toms are part of a batch used to establish ideal depth/thickness/edges for the production In-Tense series to be released at the Manchester Drum Show June 8th. I was hoping to have the production pieces available for the video, but as they're not completely ready, we'll use the prototype ones instead. They're identical to the production pieces, just not finished quite as nicely, & without a few production features such as memory locks on spurs & floor tom legs.

Anyhow, something different to look at on a Sunday :)

Attachments

• 3 toms table.jpg
    3 toms table.jpg
    871.8 KB · Views: 667
  • 3 toms bench.jpg
    3 toms bench.jpg
    901.3 KB · Views: 661
Tom, Dick and Harry Flintstone.

I want to set them up as a kit and test my multi 10" tom idea.

Super cool !

If I ever find a enough money I want to order a complete set of Guru drums with a finish that matches the old wood siding on your building.

...very nice...i am assuming that the use of a thin (solid steel as opposed to "pot metal"?) connecting rod between the (single hole?) lugs promotes the sonic characteristics of the drum?...

...very nice...i am assuming that the use of a thin (solid steel as opposed to "pot metal"?) connecting rod between the (single hole?) lugs promotes the sonic characteristics of the drum?...
Yes, single hole, but not steel, T6 aluminium, 4mm diameter. Same as all our lugs, brackets, legs, & spurs. The idea of In-Tense shell hardware is that it interferes as little as possible with the shell. Isolation of shell hardware, other than by free floating design, is a myth. Even with free floating designs, the total mass of the drum & it's hardware, no matter how disconnected it may be, has an affect. By keeping mass & contact to an absolute minimum, we allow these special shells to open up at very low dynamic, & also deliver huge tone into the fundamental.

Sorry, got a bit detailed :(

Actually it's really good that you can experiment with this. Would be really cool to evaluate the results and to understand what is the best depth of a 10" tom. I still dream on having a kit with even depth all across toms. That would probably be 7", so:

8x7
10x7
14x7

Actually the best 10" tom I've ever heard in my life was a Canopus 10x6.5"

It's very deceiving, those pictures. They all look like different diameter drums. I am so curious to hear the In-Tense toms. Looking forward to the video.

No noticeable lug splay, bravo mate!

Is there some type of drum building sorcery involved to make this come about?

Actually it's really good that you can experiment with this. Would be really cool to evaluate the results and to understand what is the best depth of a 10" tom. I still dream on having a kit with even depth all across toms. That would probably be 7", so:

8x7
10x7
14x7

Actually the best 10" tom I've ever heard in my life was a Canopus 10x6.5"

My favorite is my 10x7.5" stave purpleheart. I think right around that 7" range is my sweet spot for 10" toms, though the way I use 12"s, my 8" deep one is a little too shallow for me. (Also, I found out with my 15x14" floor tom that there's a reason most drum companies are moving to 2" shallower than square floor toms.)

On topic, though... I am very excited for April 10th and all of its numerological coincidences ;)

Actually it's really good that you can experiment with this. Would be really cool to evaluate the results and to understand what is the best depth of a 10" tom.
I'm not sure how this video will work out. As we never cheat, it will be what it will be, but there is one thing I'm sure of - no depth will be the "best".

We're doing this, frankly, because we can. The tuning range we can achieve with one diameter of tom is unusually wide. Especially a 10" tom, as, by virtue of it's size, has less range than larger diameters.

It's very deceiving, those pictures. They all look like different diameter drums. I am so curious to hear the In-Tense toms. Looking forward to the video.
Agreed Larry. Left to right, looks like 10 - 11" - 12" or something similar.

No noticeable lug splay, bravo mate!

Is there some type of drum building sorcery involved to make this come about?
Les, you're a very naughty man!

On topic, though... I am very excited for April 10th and all of its numerological coincidences ;)
What are these "numerological coincidences of which you speak?

I've never seen a 10" tom that deep. I am curious about how it will ultimately be used. I can see it maybe hanging off a tom stand over the hi-hats, paired with an 8"x9-1/2" Guru tom.

I've never seen a 10" tom that deep. I am curious about how it will ultimately be used. I can see it maybe hanging off a tom stand over the hi-hats, paired with an 8"x9-1/2" Guru tom.
It's part of our prototype program. In any normal shell, even some of the solid forms (such as stave) that control overtones/have a more prominent fundamental, we wouldn't suggest such a deep shell in relation to it's diameter. Normally, you're asking for a really diminished fundamental by going so deep.

These three 10" toms will form part of a 6 piece kit. Partially because the setup produces melodic results that are unique, & partially to demonstrate just how the special shell construction can deliver distinctive voices on the periphery of accepted norms.

I'm cautious though. Testing has gone well, but I don't truly know how this will work out in the very examining environment of our honest capture sessions. I'll know by the end of next week, & so will you :)

Back