Hit like a girl

the absolute ignorance in this thread is blinding

Well then enlighten us oh wise one. What are we ignorant to? Are we missing the bevy of female drummers out there that are performing within the highest levels of the music industry? Are we wrong to question the reasons why there are far less female drummers when the rest of the music world is nearing male to female equality. Since you obviously have all of the answers, please tell us so we can come out of the darkness.

Well then enlighten us oh wise one. What are we ignorant to? Are we missing the bevy of female drummers out there that are performing within the highest levels of the music industry? Are we wrong to question the reasons why there are far less female drummers when the rest of the music world is nearing male to female equality. Since you obviously have all of the answers, please tell us so we can come out of the darkness.
I had hoped Tony would elaborate a bit on this, too. Please enlighten us ;-)

I keep my eyes open...I have yet to be truly blown away on par with Rich, Colaiuta, Bozzio...etc.

Even timing-wise...I hear more 5ms and below timing coming from the elite male drummers than I do female drummers(though hard to truly assess in the present day 'quantization' glut - gotta see people live to tell)...and I believe females can perceive time differentials at a finer gradient on average than males, if I remember correctly.

Otto, as I saw the start of your post I thought you'd taken leave of your senses until I read ...

I hypothesize the main impediment for females is social...its not 'lady-like'...or 'feminine'...to hit things....and is not enouraged or even passivly tolerated like it is with young males.

Yes, it's a numbers game and, embarrassingly, I think your hypothesis is correct. IMO the entire notion of being "lady like" or "macho" is primitive and mindless but women avoid it with almost as much desperation as men try to avoid being seen as feminine. I imagine that if knitting was a competitive sport like drumming [sic] then you'd find the men unable to keep up with alpha females like Bessie Rich, Violet Coliauta and Terese Bozzio ...

Hit like a girl implies that a girl can not hit very hard. I have to agree with the person that said girls are taught not to hit, punch or fight. Parents generally do not find pride in a girl that fights. As far as the contest, some girls or women may find it intimidating to compete in a co-ed style of contest. There male drummers outnumber female drummers(not sure of the ratio). It could be based on the same reason Curves gym is doing so well(although the hours of operation leave a lot to be desired. When I went each week to watch the Guitar Center's drum off, there was not one female drummer who competed. I am not sure if Spokane just does not have any female drummers or they pre-qualified drummers to compete.

it's a male dominated industry ... always has been

aside from vocalists you would be hard pressed to find any instrument with the amount of visible players equal male to female

but they are out there .... and guess what they are working and most likely way more than you are

but I guess because some members of the almighty DrummerWorld internet message board never heard of them.... they must not exist .... yeah that must be it

you know how many drummers are out there.... working.... making a great living that you have never heard of ?

yeah.... some never heard of DrummerWorld either because they are too busy working

but wait Tony.... they are not on the cover of MD magazine and not shoved down our throats in 50 pgs of ads in that fine magazine.....

here is the truth folks.... there are girls like this who will play cirlces around 95% of the players here and they are working nonstop while you guys sit here and talk about it

Terri is a small sample of the females coming out of Berklee, North Texas U, etc. that are basically doing what you wish you were doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdD3Bqr8e78

consider yourself enlightened

it's time I take a nice long break from this place

Last edited:
it's a male dominated industry ... always has been

aside from vocalists you would be hard pressed to find any instrument with the amount of visible players equal male to female

but they are out there .... and guess what they are working and most likely way more than you are

but I guess because some members of the almighty DrummerWorld internet message board never heard of them.... they must not exist .... yeah that must be it

you know how many drummers are out there.... working.... making a great living that you have never heard of ?

yeah.... some never heard of DrummerWorld either because they are too busy working

but wait Tony.... they are not on the cover of MD magazine and not shoved down our throats in 50 pgs of ads in that fine magazine.....

here is the truth folks.... there are girls like this who will play cirlces around 95% of the players here and they are working nonstop while you guys sit here and talk about it

Terri is a small sample of the females coming out of Berklee, North Texas U, etc. that are basically doing what you wish you were doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdD3Bqr8e78

consider yourself enlightened

it's time I take a nice long break from this place

No reason to get upset, this is reasonable discussion.

What does the above have to do with having a separate contest for female drummers, giving the impression that they need such a thing?

Did Berklee have a different curriculum for women? Of course not.

I think it's kind of sad this day in age that women are sometimes not given the same respect nor held to the same standards as men are when it comes to drumming. I think contests like this only reinforces bad habits.

No reason to get upset, this is reasonable discussion.

What does the above have to do with having a separate contest for female drummers, giving the impression that they need such a thing?

Did Berklee have a different curriculum for women? Of course not.

I think it's kind of sad this day in age that women are sometimes not given the same respect nor held to the same standards as men are when it comes to drumming. I think contests like this only reinforces bad habits.

wasn't speaking on the separation discussion but more on the ridiculous statements made about women drummers

sorry AZ didn't mean this to be aimed at you brother and felt the need to come back to make that clear

you all be well

I'm gone

I hope not for too long. Can't let this silly s### get to you. I know you enjoy some of the discussions, and talkin bout' that evil jazz music that's destroying our youth.

FWIW on the thread topic. I've had two drum teachers. Both female. Both were, I felt, the best options as teachers and players in my area.

you all be well

I'm gone
Be well too Tony, but no need to go, that's just daft :(

I both work with & have as friends, some superb female drummers. Hell, our first Guru session videos featured Michele Drees, & also Yolanda Charles on bass. Think we're pretty much on our own, or at least, massively in the minority of drum companies giving both male & female players roughly equal exposure in our marketing/info videos. What's more, that trend will continue, as I believe imbalance is best addressed by general inclusion, not with special highlighting waving the "novelty" ticket.

Completely agree. I'll sight our artist (& my friend) again. Michele & I have discussed pretty much this very subject on a few occasions, & indeed, she eluded to such bias difficulty in her latest magazine interview. She refers to the "before look", & the "after look". The before look is one of disquiet & even distain / low expectation when some musicians (certainly not all) realise the drummer who's been booked for the session is female. The after look is one of surprise at the unexpected standard of playing. Michele has a bio most would be pretty envious of. Same with Yolanda in the bass world (another closely related world exhibiting pretty similar gender bias). Both of these artists are capable of playing almost anyone under the table, yet they still get this crappy attitude, & not just from the peanut stalls. This bias exists up to the very highest levels of pro musician too. It's a disgrace.

wasn't speaking on the separation discussion but more on the ridiculous statements made about women drummers

sorry AZ didn't mean this to be aimed at you brother and felt the need to come back to make that clear

you all be well

I'm gone

Sorry to hear that. I love jazz and jazz drumming and enjoy your posts.

Perhaps because there is stereotyping and this is a way to get the lassies a platform to get noticed so that eventually there will be no need for it anymore; it is unfortunately an imperfect world and change has to start somewhere.

I guess I'll say what nobody else here wants to. Girls do not hit like guys! I'm not saying better or worse, but I am saying different. Hannah Ford is awesome. Speed like few on the planet. Never seen her play the kit with as much authority as John Bonham. Never saw Tommy Lee play a roll as fast as her. Never saw her smash the sh** out of a kit with the kind of controled mayhem that Lee plays with. You are all guilty of thinking exactly what I'm saying. No one ever mentions an awesome girl drummer without making a special emphasis on the fact that IT'S A GIRL drummer. Any swinging d**k playing the same thing doesn't get the same praise. Girls at Westpoint don't have to meet the same physical requirements (or get the same hair cut!) in order to be accepted. They can test as high or higher, play as good or better, but power will always be a separate category.

I guess I'll say what nobody else here wants to. Girls do not hit like guys! I'm not saying better or worse, but I am saying different. Hannah Ford is awesome. Speed like few on the planet. Never seen her play the kit with as much authority as John Bonham. Never saw Tommy Lee play a roll as fast as her. Never saw her smash the sh** out of a kit with the kind of controled mayhem that Lee plays with. You are all guilty of thinking exactly what I'm saying. No one ever mentions an awesome girl drummer without making a special emphasis on the fact that IT'S A GIRL drummer. Any swinging d**k playing the same thing doesn't get the same praise. Girls at Westpoint don't have to meet the same physical requirements (or get the same hair cut!) in order to be accepted. They can test as high or higher, play as good or better, but power will always be a separate category.

I keep typing and deleting, for fear of spontaneous combustion.

Honestly, I don't know whether to laff or cry. Lovely, where HAVE you been in the last 50-odd years?

Mods, is there any way we can tax the word "girl" and send the proceeds to UNICEF?

why do we let these women folk vote and wear bathing suits above the knee ??

barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen is where they belong I tell ya !!

in my opinion we need to keep these pathetic inferior beings away from any sort of authoritative business position and out of the mans music industry

you know you cannot hit a drum as hard or as well as a big strong man with an inferiority complex !!!!

silly woman

now go raise some kids !!!!!

Why did the woman cross the road?

That's not the point. What's she doing out of the kitchen?

She's going to kneecap the person who described her as a "girl", obviously.

And equally obviously, for anybody who doesn't know, that isn't BFY or the vast majority of drummers on here.

Back