Why am I the only one with this kit?.. Yamaha Stage Custom

Joez4000

White 3-piece Yamaha stage custom... LOVE THIS KIT, but don't know much about it.. just that it's not common. It originally had a Steel snare with it but I was just sold the white bass and tom shells. Virgin bass drum, 10" and 14" mounted toms. Obviously the older lug design. Never seen a white stage custom, never seen a virgin stage custom.. Anybody know anything about it? I'm scared to sell it (I buy and sell locally) cause I'm afraid I'll never see one again and kick myself later... lol

Attachments

• IMG_6429.JPG
    IMG_6429.JPG
    812.7 KB · Views: 911
  • IMG_6430.JPG
    IMG_6430.JPG
    879.4 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_6431.JPG
    IMG_6431.JPG
    743.2 KB · Views: 913
  • IMG_6432.JPG
    IMG_6432.JPG
    802.2 KB · Views: 907
  • IMG_6433.JPG
    IMG_6433.JPG
    756.2 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG_6428.JPG
    IMG_6428.JPG
    909.5 KB · Views: 1,222
Last edited:
If you really like them, then keep them! It is rare to see a virgin bass drum in that line. And you're right, I'm sure Yamaha technically offered the color white, but you never saw them. I always saw them as some kind of wood stain color.

Yep - the grommet on the bass in that last pic looks non-Yamaha. Probably someone wrapped it.

Joez4000 - maybe sometime you should take off the bass drum resonant head and take a look inside, up towards the top where the tom mount usually is. It would be interesting if you could post back and tell us if there are open holes, plugged holes, or what looks to be no holes (uninterrupted plies).

Hmmm, I shall look again more closely next time I am at my church, probably Tuesday, and check it out. I thought once before I had looked thinking the same thing, maybe it was just a custom job someone did but I thought I remembered seeing undrilled plies there at the top.. Also, I was told by the guy I got it from it was a limited edition kit that was manufactured in the Recording Custom's "stage white". Which I've seen recording customs that look JUST LIKE this one, but still the one I'm referring too wasn't a virgin lol lol. But I shall look again! This kit has just intrigued me for sometime and I haven't had a chance to get feedback from seasoned drummers on it. thanks everyone so far for your feedback :)

It's got the RC lugs too. I think they are RC's anyway, not a Yamaha expert. My stage custom didn't have connected lugs. Interesting. So you just recently acquired this kit?

It's got the RC lugs too. I think they are RC's anyway, not a Yamaha expert. My stage custom didn't have connected lugs. Interesting. So you just recently acquired this kit?

No those are stage custom full length lugs...SC's use to have full length lugs back in the 90's...they're not the same as RC's...:)

Here's a couple SC's with those lugs:

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/111574/used-yamaha-stage-custom-3-pc

0113730_0.jpeg

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/105647/used-yamaha-stage-custom-adv

0090910_0.jpeg

Never was a production color, SCs were never wrapped, nonstandard grommets = postmarket wrap.

I bet when you look inside it was wrapped over the tom mount holes.

Still great drums. I gigged mine for over fifteen years!

I saw other first gen the Stage Customs in White, but the grommet and no mount makes it a modified set indeed.

These are the best SC ever made and resembled a very RC close sound.

Some even like the kick of these more then the RC so they swap kicks (and with almost identical lugs, no problem there too)

Keep them!

Yup, the main thing is not whether they are a one-off. The main thing is, it sounds like you love them. That's really the only important aspect of this.

But, yes, I agree with the others that there are some signs of modification. The only Stages that were offered in a white wrap, were the older Stage Series, before they were called 'Stage Custom.' The term custom was added to Yamaha drums, when the series' were offered in Lacquered finishes. The original Stage series were all wrapped drums, but that was prior to the era of these drums.

So, the first question: is it a wrap or lacquer? If its a wrap, then they have been refinished (unless its a one-off). 2nd, yes the grommet looks like an aftermarket grommet. So, if the finish is lacquer, it may have been repainted (unless its a one-off). 3rd is the missing mount. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the interiors have been painted. So, if the mount was removed and the holes plugged, and considering the nice refinish job, I bet the interiors have been painted - it would be logical for whomever went to this extent.

All in all, they look great. So if they are refinished, someone did a very nice job. The problem with the idea that these could be a one-off is - most custom Yamaha jobs didn't involved the Stage series drums. I'm not bashing in any way, its just the truth. Custom Yamaha products involved the RC's back then. That was the top of the line. Guys that were getting custom Yamaha drums made would have gone with RC's, unless there was someone out there who just really loved this line of drums. Its possible I suppose.

What is a "one-off"? I'm not familiar with that term? I'm assuming like a custom ordered one of a kind? If so it makes sense that that wouldn't be likely due to it not being a RC.

Ok.. So how do I tell if it's a wrap or lacquer? (my amateur showing I know.. lol). Is it just by that crease mark? I'll have to look tomorrow. I love the sound regardless, but am very business minded and buy and sell a lot so rather I ever do decide to sell or in the probability of it remaining mine, I just want to know how rare/valuable/original it is, you know? Just to know :)

By the way, I acquired this kit about a year ago. Although, I have only sense then, in that years time, learned almost all I do about different types of drums and cymbals. I've played for 9 years but about 7 of those were spent not being able to tell that there were better sounding cymbals out there than sx20's, if youn know what I mean... It was just all noise and the same to my young ears, lol... Now I'm way more immersed in the different potential types sounds and setups and am eager to learn, especially about what I currently own if I have anything special I wanna know!..

Also, I am not surprised to hear that these older ones were comparable to the RC's because I've played on many kits in this range but these ones to me sound AWESOME. I love them :)

What is a "one-off"? I'm not familiar with that term? I'm assuming like a custom ordered one of a kind? If so it makes sense that that wouldn't be likely due to it not being a RC.

Ok.. So how do I tell if it's a wrap or lacquer? (my amateur showing I know.. lol). Is it just by that crease mark? I'll have to look tomorrow. I love the sound regardless, but am very business minded and buy and sell a lot so rather I ever do decide to sell or in the probability of it remaining mine, I just want to know how rare/valuable/original it is, you know? Just to know :)

By the way, I acquired this kit about a year ago. Although, I have only sense then, in that years time, learned almost all I do about different types of drums and cymbals. I've played for 9 years but about 7 of those were spent not being able to tell that there were better sounding cymbals out there than sx20's, if youn know what I mean... It was just all noise and the same to my young ears, lol... Now I'm way more immersed in the different potential types sounds and setups and am eager to learn, especially about what I currently own if I have anything special I wanna know!..

Also, I am not surprised to hear that these older ones were comparable to the RC's because I've played on many kits in this range but these ones to me sound AWESOME. I love them :)

A one-off means Yamaha made only one. It would be totally unique. To see if it's a wrap or lacquer, take off a head and see if there's a wrap around the shell, or if it's painted.

I would certainly say you have a kit which is special. It is a beautiful kit and I am sure sounds the same. I would not even consider letting loose of this one. If you still have XS20's on there, might be time to upgrade.

Oh no!!!! Definitely an after market job... The white,s a wrap and there is wood filler where holes use to be inside the bass drum for the old tom mounts.. :/ well, it did inspire me to maybe do some custom work myself though, because I LOVE house this SC looks! But regardless, thanks guys!

By the way, I upgraded to A Customs 2 years ago, sold those last year and now play on whatever cymbals I have on hand from trades. Paiste Signatures are absolutely my favorite so far!

Oh no!!!! Definitely an after market job... The white,s a wrap and there is wood filler where holes use to be inside the bass drum for the old tom mounts.. :/ ....

I wouldn't worry about it. They look good and sound good, and that's what counts, right?
And like you say, maybe it'll inspire you to try modifying something like it.

Well, that validates everyone's Yamaha knowledge! Yes, all signs pointed to it being modified.
But, that only means that it doesn't have any special monetary value. As I stated previously, whoever did this, did a very nice job. I mean the badges even look to be precisely placed on the shells. So, if you love them, just go with it. That's the most important thing...

Back