Getting madder by the day

To be honest you should be a bit upset. I normally get a shipment notice within 1 business day on a stock item. If it is delayed I get a notice of why it is delayed and when it will ship.
Im talking stores like Musicians Friend, Sam Ash, Music 123, Casico, Drums On Sale. Greenbriar, etc. Almost every store ships within 2 days of sale.

No, not yanking your chain at all. An older dictionary will be closer to a word's creation and actual or original meaning. In English almost every word has been adopted at one point or another to have a slang meaning different from it's actual meaning. Mad is a very good example. Gay a very good current one that has been adopted for a slang usage that is very different from it's actual meaning. I believe that the first time in literature that it was used in such a way was a Noel Coward play in the 20's so that meaning hasnt been in use all that long (in comparison with how long the word has been around, over 400 years.) So for a good 3 centuries it meant one thing and that usage continued/continues(sing the Flintstones theme from the 1960's for an example of it being used correctly) but now it has a slang meaning that is very different and they are vying for prominence. Broadcast is another good example. It is a farming term meaning casting seed in a very wide pattern while standing in a single point. Literally flinging seed out from a single point to a wider area The radio industry adopted it because it was and is a good analogy for how a radio transmission works. It is sent out from a single point and is flung out over a wide space.
It was a term that was known and used by a very large portion of the population as we were still a largely agricultural country when radio started regular commercial transmissions. Now when we say broadcast we dont tend to even think of it's actual meaning but use it to mean a radio,television and even internet transmission. (I worked at a "radio" station where, even though it was internet only, they still referred to each transmission as a broadcast.) Now as to maps. A very different type of publication that serves a very different purpose.A map's purpose is to aid navigation. For a map to be effective it must be updated regularly to take into account changes to the area you would wish to navigate.

Yes, it originally meant insane. But it's other meaning related to anger has been around a hell of a long time too. Early 14th century according to this: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=mad Which would make it's evolution to encompass anger, less than 100 years. I call hair splitting.

Last edited:
No, not yanking your chain at all. An older dictionary will be closer to a word's creation and actual or original meaning. In English almost every word has been adopted at one point or another to have a slang meaning different from it's actual meaning. Mad is a very good example. Gay a very good current one that has been adopted for a slang usage that is very different from it's actual meaning. I believe that the first time in literature that it was used in such a way was a Noel Coward play in the 20's so that meaning hasnt been in use all that long (in comparison with how long the word has been around, over 400 years.) So for a bit more than 3 centuries it meant one thing and that usage continued/continues(sing the Flintstones theme from the 1960's for an example of it being used correctly) but now it has a slang meaning that is very different and they are vying for prominence. Broadcast is another good example. It is a farming term meaning casting seed in a very wide pattern while standing in a single point. Literally flinging seed out from a single point to a wider area The radio industry adopted it because it was and is a good analogy for how a radio transmission works. It is sent out from a single point and is flung out over a wide space.
It was a term that was known and used by a very large portion of the population as we were still a largely agricultural country when radio started regular commercial transmissions. Now when we say broadcast we dont tend to even think of it's actual meaning but use it to mean a radio,television and even internet transmission. (I worked at a "radio" station where, even though it was internet only, they still referred to each transmission as a broadcast.) Now as to maps. A very different type of publication that serves a very different purpose.A map's purpose is to aid navigation. For a map to be effective it must be updated regularly to take into account changes to the area you would wish to navigate.

So, you know the phrase "yanking my chain," and can pontificate about the evolution of the meaning of the words "gay" and "broadcast," and yet you were stunned enough that "mad" was used to mean "angry" that you felt compelled to post a totally off-topic comment on the thread? Puhleeeze.

A-customs, very sorry to be participating in the derail!

To the topic, I think the company has shown fairly poor retail skills, but I wouldn't really freak out or cancel the order. In retail, I find it's better to under-promise and over-deliver, but many don't seem to get the concept. It's dangerous to make promises about a process over which you don't have direct control, but retailers do it all the time.

Well Maybe i should have Stated My Post a little different .Didnt know we would be getting into the old verses new Dictionary..Funny stuff!!!!............ i assume when im buying something from a store and they TELL U something i expect it to happen sorry... Got home from a long day yesterday with still no news,so i called even thou it was 7 pm eastern time,figuring they would be closed and i would get a answering machine..........Low and behold i got the owner of the store. Long story short hes sure that they shipped and the didnt get a tracking # out. Sounds fishy but the owner was very nice,as was i. One thing i forgot to mention is on the order slip i does say 7 day ground with UPS.So as long as its here mid week time its good....But without a # HOW IN THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THEY LEFT???????? He assured me tomorrow, Monday i will have Tracking # and he has my # and will call me........Meaning Ludwig Warehouse didnt send his store a tracking #????...IM VERYCALM....... Stay tuned

To be honest you should be a bit upset. I normally get a shipment notice within 1 business day on a stock item. If it is delayed I get a notice of why it is delayed and when it will ship.
Im talking stores like Musicians Friend, Sam Ash, Music 123, Casico, Drums On Sale. Greenbriar, etc. Almost every store ships within 2 days of sale.

Thanks Bob.......Ive bought stuff on the net and always get a tracking # on everything big or small.

Most stores subscribe to a UPS feature that sends tracking info to the recipient via email as soon as the shipping label is generated in the UPS system.
Everytime the label is scanned the system updates the info.
If Ludwig is drop shipping the kit the issue probably lies with them and not the store.
The store is out of the loop so to speak.

Again Bob Thanks 4 the info,Yes they are coming from Ludwig,and not the store.

People who work in music stores have told me in the past that Ludwig is not the fastest shipper in the bizz. From my personal experience I tend to agree.

I hope you're going to apologize to MJD for tricking him.

Mad, angry, frustrated, upset, anxious, disappointed, concerned, confused, irritated, whatever, the OP has concerns about his drum set and just wanted to express his concern on the drum forum. Come on ladies put the dictionary away and stay on topic.

Well Maybe i should have Stated My Post a little different .Didnt know we would be getting into the old verses new Dictionary..Funny stuff!!!!............ i assume when im buying something from a store and they TELL U something i expect it to happen sorry... Got home from a long day yesterday with still no news,so i called even thou it was 7 pm eastern time,figuring they would be closed and i would get a answering machine..........Low and behold i got the owner of the store. Long story short hes sure that they shipped and the didnt get a tracking # out. Sounds fishy but the owner was very nice,as was i. One thing i forgot to mention is on the order slip i does say 7 day ground with UPS.So as long as its here mid week time its good....But without a # HOW IN THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THEY LEFT???????? He assured me tomorrow, Monday i will have Tracking # and he has my # and will call me........Meaning Ludwig Warehouse didnt send his store a tracking #????...IM VERYCALM....... Stay tuned

It's VERY CALM when you're TYPING IN CAPS FOR EFFECT.

Just saying.

So, you know the phrase "yanking my chain," and can pontificate about the evolution of the meaning of the words "gay" and "broadcast," and yet you were stunned enough that "mad" was used to mean "angry" that you felt compelled to post a totally off-topic comment on the thread? Puhleeeze.

A-customs, very sorry to be participating in the derail!

To the topic, I think the company has shown fairly poor retail skills, but I wouldn't really freak out or cancel the order. In retail, I find it's better to under-promise and over-deliver, but many don't seem to get the concept. It's dangerous to make promises about a process over which you don't have direct control, but retailers do it all the time.

Wow......gotta sober up.....I dont actually remember writing anything last night. Apologies. It's a topic i had to start studying to make sure i was composing art songs well. For English the best lyrical stuff and the easiest to set to music tends to be Elizabethan era. The first one, not our the current one. Gotta know the meanings that the poet was using at the time to properly express the stuff musically. Again, apologies to the OP. I must remember to refrain from posting while highly intoxicated.

Thanks,Hey Its all good Everyone!!!!!.I luv this place,and while i dont comment much,i know that this was something that is happening to me and wanted to get your guys and or gals take on it. Like i said hopefully i have a tracking # tomorrow.....Then again could they be closed for the Holiday???? Good Grief.......

Thanks,Hey Its all good Everyone!!!!!.I luv this place,and while i dont comment much,i know that this was something that is happening to me and wanted to get your guys and or gals take on it. Like i said hopefully i have a tracking # tomorrow.....Then again could they be closed for the Holiday???? Good Grief.......

Keeping you in suspense!! But the new kit will be worth it. You may wait days, weeks, whatever - but if you take care of your drums they'll serve you for a lifetime.

Or, in Bo's case, for a month or two. ;)

Most stores subscribe to a UPS feature that sends tracking info to the recipient via email as soon as the shipping label is generated in the UPS system.
Everytime the label is scanned the system updates the info.
This is not true, the system updates whether the label was scanned or not.

This is not true, the system updates whether the label was scanned or not.

I think maybe you misread Bob's post. The systems sends a tracking # when the label is generated. Then it it sends an update every time the label is scanned as it moves to various facilities along the route.

Back