Which ride to rivet?

Ang

I have two cymbals that I am thinking of putting rivets in, just looking for some feedback/thoughts.
First is a K Con. 22" Light ride, lots of wash and a low pitched stick sound.
Second would be a K Custom 20" Dry Light Ride. Super dry, little to now wash.

I am leaning towards putting a three rivet cluster in the Constantinople.

Not sure why you'd want rivets in a cymbal that already has a "lots of wash" but its yours do what you like.

I would put 6 or 8 in the Const.

I think a few (2 or 3) rivets will add a bit of sustain to to the cymbal and a bit of sizzle. More rivets will actually dry out the cymbal and lessen the wash but add a sizzle too.

Depends on the type of rivet (nickle, brass, aluminum etc.) and the weight too. Also how close to the edge - closer= more sizzle.

May want to play with some small ball chains tied to the center cymbal post or a couple of pennies and some loose tape first to get an idea of the sound before drilling. Not the same as rivets but close.

I would be putting nickel or brass, maybe a combo of each. I'm going to try taping two rivets together on the cymbal like I saw here somewhere.

I've been looking for some information about rivets on the Internet, but I haven't found any. Could you please tell me how the material of rivets affect the sizzling?

I would do the K CON too, and yeah, play with chains... wribbbit, wribbbit
The K Dry is what it is, don't take it to the other extreme IMO.

I've frogged a lot of cymbals (Rides and Hats) and my preference is with aluminum wribbits, they're lighter and have a more pleasing sustain IMO, check em out.

I would do the K CON too, and yeah, play with chains... wribbbit, wribbbit
The K Dry is what it is, don't take it to the other IMO.

How many would you put in the Con? I can only find sound clips of a 20" Light Con with 3 rivet cluster on the internet.

I don't think there is a wrong answer to this question but I agree with opentune. Also rivets sound awesome on dry cymbals. I find with cymbals with too much wash there is too much sizzle going on but with a dry cymbal those rivets make a great noise.

I don't think there is a wrong answer to this question but I agree with opentune. Also rivets sound awesome on dry cymbals. I find with cymbals with too much wash there is too much sizzle going on but with a dry cymbal those rivets make a great noise.

I think that they sound nice in dry cymbals too, I have a A Custom 20" Flat that has two rivets, sounds great.

I think that they sound nice in dry cymbals too, I have a A Custom 20" Flat that has two rivets, sounds great.

Same here.

I have a 20" K Light Flat Ride in which I installed my own 3 rivet cluster. Sounds great. It can also be used for a muted china sort of sound in a pinch.

Two rivets taped onto the Constantinople sounded great, much better than on the Custom Dry ride. That pie is so dry it hardly vibrated the taped on rivets, I'm sure that if they were drilled in it would keep them moving more though.

That tape method seems to work pretty well as an indicator. I taped a few to my K Con. Bounce ride also, that would be a no go, at least for mine.

Same here.

I have a 20" K Light Flat Ride in which I installed my own 3 rivet cluster. Sounds great. It can also be used for a muted china sort of sound in a pinch.

I love the 3 rivet clusters. That is what my beautiful baby ride has and I find that it seems to be the best way to rivet a cymbal.

I love the 3 rivet clusters. That is what my beautiful baby ride has and I find that it seems to be the best way to rivet a cymbal.

That's where I got the idea from. I have the Beautiful Baby Ride too. It sits on my left. My main ride is a K Con Medium with 1 rivet, then the flat ride to the far right.

I love the sound of rivets. All my rides have them, the ones I use for jazz anyway.

My K Con 22" low ride is factory-drilled for 8 rivets and sounds great. And IMHO "wash" and "sizzle" are two very different sounds...

Dutch

Back