New Breed II?

thelimpingtoad

http://www.amazon.com/New-Breed-II-Gary-Chester/dp/0793500044
I never realized there was a sequel to the New Breed. Has anyone used it? Is it any good?
Also... i saw that they now sell the New Breed with a cd? What's on the cd? is it something worth having or is it just bs to add $?
I think i might pick up the New Breed II if you guys have used it at all and think its worth my time (i've played through a lot of the first book with almost all the systems and thought it was amazing)... I keep meaning to break out the first book and worth through some more of it again but just never got around to it. I think i have it sitting near my practice kit at home.

i didn't know there was a sequel either. did you read the customer reviews on amazon? those people seem to think it's pretty difficult and not for beginners or even intermediates. i'm tempted to get it myself just to see if i can play anything in it.

I have the first one with the CD.

The CD contains an interview with Gary Chester talking about the concepts of New Breed. I think I've listened to it about once - if I remember rightly, everything he says in the interview is written in the book anyway - almost word for word at times.

No idea what's in the sequel book though, I've never bothered with it as there's more than enough material in the first one to keep you going for eternity!

there's more than enough material in the first one to keep you going for eternity!
Yeah.. no kidding... that's why I was intrigued by a sequel and wanted to see if anyone else could elaborate exactly what might be in it.
When i said i worked through most of it... i mean i've used all the systems at least one or two ways with all the exercises... but obviously you could just keep doing it with all 4 limbs and stuff..
So no point to the CD but anyone know of the second book?

It's very much in the same vein as the first one, but...more difficult? It looks at other styles such as jazz and some odd time stuff too. Looks fantastic.

What kind of stuff is in the first New Breed? I'm looking for a book to increase my left foot independence so I can incorporate more polyrhythms.

For me, the CD is a real gem because of the nostalgia. It contains a previously unreleased audio recording of Danny Gottlieb interviewing Gary, one of the most prolific drummers of all time (check out his discography: http://www.gary-chester.com/discography/extended.html ). Of course, we lost Gary quite a while back, so I think it's kind of cool to "eavesdrop" on a studio legend who's hanging out, talking about drumming.

spleen

New Breed 2 is the most difficult book I've ever encountered. It's flat-out ridiculous in some places. The concept is still the same - systems + melodies - but it gets you reading THREE DIFFERENT MELODIES AT THE SAME TIME. Mindboggling stuff, but if you're a coordination freak, this is definitely the book for you.

What kind of stuff is in the first New Breed? I'm looking for a book to increase my left foot independence so I can incorporate more polyrhythms.

New Breed will do that for you... if practiced properly. The concept is that they give you a set of "systems" that use 3 limbs for the pattern.... then they give you pages of "melodies" which should be played with the 4th limb. So you could play systems with hands and right foot then perform the melodies with the left foot. :)
This book is greate for increasing all around independence.

New Breed 2 is the most difficult book I've ever encountered. It's flat-out ridiculous in some places. The concept is still the same - systems + melodies - but it gets you reading THREE DIFFERENT MELODIES AT THE SAME TIME. Mindboggling stuff, but if you're a coordination freak, this is definitely the book for you.
Awesome... I'm totally going to get it sometime. New Breed was my favorite drum book of all time so I think the sequel would be good to get.

Oooo I'm excited to get New Breed 1! Sounds cool!

dont do it, it will ruin your life as in you if you ever want to finish it you will have to give up all fun stuff like playing computer games, girls, and telivision. hahah

The concept is still the same - systems + melodies - but it gets you reading THREE DIFFERENT MELODIES AT THE SAME TIME.

Where on earth does it have you reading three different melodies at the same time? That doesn't even sound logical. The concept in New Breed 2 is the same, you're supposed to MEMORIZE the Bonuses (Systems) and get that to a point where you can play it comfortably WITHOUT reading the book. Then, and only then, you would turn to the Melody Warm Ups and then finally the Melody. And of course, you're singing everything as you're playing.

To be honest, there is no point in even touching that book until you've mastered New Breed 1. 2 is a FOLLOW ON book... So if you struggle with NB1, NB2 will just be a waste of time and energy.

I bought NB2, but after trying to work with, I gave up and decided to go back to NB1...

Its a lifetimes worth of study, in all honesty, I would high 5 someone who had worked through both books and come out the other side with all their hair...

It's a great book to have.

The systems have a logical progression, but in the end you can do whatever you like.

Pick an ostinato. Do the warm-ups, go through all the stuff in the Chaffee book(which is static), then Syncopation or the Bellson book, then progress to the reading pages in New Breed.

Use the method and reading pages for whatever you like.

When I started drumming a few years ago, I got all the books. They're cheap as chips anyway and though they seemed overwhelming at first it was just the same stuff from different viewpoints.

You work on ostinatos and then you either
1) Work on set patterns one at a time.
2) Read a page of rhythm.
3) Improvise with your new skills.

Then you can either practice:
1) Alone
2) Along with a mtronome or drumm machine
3)With a play-a-long track. I really like using the 30 min long Claus Hessler tracks for that.

Construct your own methos based on your goals, make a plan and stick to it.

These exercises are pretty much the best thing you can do for your drumming. Independence is one thing, but they are great for your time, sense of rhythm and different subdivisions, you conditioning, technique, sound development, dynamic control, everything.

You can even add in and practice fills or anything as part of the method.

Go slow and make everything feel and sound good. The "complicated" stuff will help with everything. It will help your control over the most basic grooves and time feels as well. It's just really good for you to practice this way. You can approximate a band experience quite a lot and that's when you really have something you'll be able to make use of.

Please elaborate? Would like more information please!

With his new book ,"Daily Drumset Workout", comes a CD-rom with a bunch of 30 minute long mp3s in different styles, each one in three different tempos. Perfect accompaniment for independence training. No need to watch the clock and you get to work on making it feel good in different contexts.

For me hours go by very easily.

Pick an ostinato and press play, pick another ostinato, press play again and goes the day.

Works really well for me personally.

The content of the book also ties things together. It's not a complete book by any means, but in combination with Syncpation, New Breed and the Patterns Series and some basic understanding on how to work on drumset and songs in general, you have a pretty complete method.

With his new book ,"Daily Drumset Workout", comes a CD-rom with a bunch of 30 minute long mp3s in different styles, each one in three different tempos. Perfect accompaniment for independence training. No need to watch the clock and you get to work on making it feel good in different contexts.

For me hours go by very easily.

Pick an ostinato and press play, pick another ostinato, press play again and goes the day.

Works really well for me personally.

The content of the book also ties things together. It's not a complete book by any means, but in combination with Syncpation, New Breed and the Patterns Series and some basic understanding on how to work on drumset and songs in general, you have a pretty complete method.

Sounds great, thanks for the explanation. I saw that book in my local book store, might have to pick it up now!

Back