hihat patterns

Joker88

I'm looking for songs with very challenging hihat patterns (preferably ones that would require both hands) that I can learn and play along to, can anyone recommend some good ones?

I'm looking for songs with very challenging hihat patterns (preferably ones that would require both hands) that I can learn and play along to, can anyone recommend some good ones?

Almost anything Carter Beauford does (Dave Matthews Band) has amazingly complex hihat patterns. One can almost argue that they are "chaotic" but they always seem to fit the music. A few that come to mind are Satellite, Stay, Crush, Where are you going, Ants Marching, Too Much, pretty much anything on the Crash album. If you're really looking to get frustrated/challenged try Dreaming Tree (it's in 7/8 to boot). I don't think he plays the same measure twice in that song.

Favourite Worst Nightmare by Arctic Monkeys.

That's an album i like to warm up my hi-hat chops with.

Gotta echo respect for Lateralus and Satellite Hi Hat Work.

If you go a bit further back, have a listen to Walking On The Moon - Police - Stewart Copeland.

Favourite Worst Nightmare by Arctic Monkeys.

That's an album i like to warm up my hi-hat chops with.

I love the arc monks, but I too have noticed that the drummer really, really likes his quick 2 handed 16ths on the hats. I don't want to say it gets repetitive, but when half the songs on the album are based around the same thing... Anyway, you are still right. Lots of fast hat work on those, but not particularly complex in my opinion.

What is Hip?

Just broke out the old Martha Reeves version of Heat Wave for an upcoming gig and there's a fairly fast shuffle pattern on the hat that I'm having trouble getting the groove right at that tempo.

Slow hands, shoulda stuck with playing Cream songs on guitar...

What is Hip?

Just broke out the old Martha Reeves version of Heat Wave for an upcoming gig and there's a fairly fast shuffle pattern on the hat that I'm having trouble getting the groove right at that tempo.

Slow hands, shoulda stuck with playing Cream songs on guitar...

Another slowhand here. I just tried playing along and copped out, playing quarters with a few skip beats, which I think would be considered "square" at a jam :) It's a deceptively hard song.

Another slowhand here. I just tried playing along and copped out, playing quarters with a few skip beats, which I think would be considered "square" at a jam :) It's a deceptively hard song.

Wilson Picket's Don't Let the Green Grass Fool Ya is similar but slightly slower. Those old soul session cats were really be-bopers with killer chops making a living doing what sold. Like you said, it's deceptive until you try to play it and make it swing and push like they did.

Back