Finally-1966 Ludwigs Up and Running

BGH

Gold Member
Well, after working on this kit on and off for 9 months, its finally in playing shape. If you want to read about what I did to this kit, you can take a look at my prior threads (I'll spare you the repeat).

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108462&highlight=ludwig+bass+drum+restoration

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109482&highlight=ludwig+reproduction

In addition to the work mentioned, I also replaced the tom hoops with hoops 20 years younger and added a Ludwig bass drum anchor. The anchor really helps stabilize the kick. These drums sound sweet. The toms sing-they are very musical. I'm very glad I had the 10" made. It sounds superb with the other toms. This kit sounds like nothing else that I have, which is what I was shooting for. The vintage vibe is amazing. Toms have coated single plys and clear resos. Kick has PS3's for both. Snare is a 1980's Supra or 1966 Slingerland Artist in WMP. I removed the internal mufflers - no additional muffling, except for a half piece of Moongel on the floor tom.

7x10 Made by Precision Drum to match-mahogany/poplar/mahogany 3 ply w/ rings Keller shell.
8x12
9x13 not shown
16x16
14x22
5x14 Supra or Slingerland Artist

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 403
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 311
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 308
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 310
WOW !! Beautiful work !!
Beautiful Set. I love that color !!

Your hard work really paid off..The 10" looks cool beside the 12".I wonder why ludwig didn't use that set up on the holywoods? I bet they sound amazing with ambassadors.Congrats on a real unique kit.

If I had that setup I would put the 12" & 13" toms on the bass drum stand and mount the 10" on a cymbal stand to the left. I would then add a 14" floor tom to the mix and have a really cool big kit.

I secretly covet your set Mr. BGH. My first set was gold sparkle. And I always wanted a Ludwig 10" 2 headed tom. Nicely done.

I have a set of DW's and a set of 76 Ludwigs currently set up in my studio. The Ludwigs just plain sound better.

I secretly covet your set Mr. BGH. My first set was gold sparkle. And I always wanted a Ludwig 10" 2 headed tom. Nicely done.

I have a set of DW's and a set of 76 Ludwigs currently set up in my studio. The Ludwigs just plain sound better.

Those are some beautiful Ludwigs! My very first kit was a dilapidated set of Slingerlands in gold sparkle - I wish I kept them - or at least had a picture of them! Beautiful work!

So Larry, what is it about these old drums eh? I've felt the same way for some time - and it culminated in my getting out of DW altogether - they were beautiful, but they lacked something. I get these old Ludwigs, Slingerlands (and now Rogers), and there's this imperfect resonance that just strikes a chord with me. I'm telling ya' - we hear this one sound first and all sounds get judged by it from then on out. There are countless folks out there who will also compare their pro-level drums in later years to the Pearl Exports they had when they were kids in 1988 ;)

First impressions are the ones that stay with us Bo. My first kit was a 60's Slingy. Now I am in love with my 60's Luds.
Yes, it is all about being, "not perfect". That is what makes these drums, "perfect".

Those are some beautiful Ludwigs! My very first kit was a dilapidated set of Slingerlands in gold sparkle - I wish I kept them - or at least had a picture of them! Beautiful work!

So Larry, what is it about these old drums eh? I've felt the same way for some time - and it culminated in my getting out of DW altogether - they were beautiful, but they lacked something. I get these old Ludwigs, Slingerlands (and now Rogers), and there's this imperfect resonance that just strikes a chord with me. I'm telling ya' - we hear this one sound first and all sounds get judged by it from then on out. There are countless folks out there who will also compare their pro-level drums in later years to the Pearl Exports they had when they were kids in 1988 ;)

Re: what is it about these old drums...A persons initial imprint is huge. Jules is a good example of that. He always says how the first snare he heard was his Dad's Supra. And that how not much else measured up. Also, to get a bit geeky, I think part of the secret is in the 3 thicker plies instead of the modern way of using 6 thinner plies with more glue. Plus the middle ply of different wood alters things. You get more real wood with the Ludwigs. Just about everyone uses thinner plies these days. My Ludwigs...the way I tune them...they sound happier. My DW's with the same tuning sound very boring by comparison. My 24 x 14 Lud kicks my DW's 22 x 20 ass.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

Your hard work really paid off..The 10" looks cool beside the 12".I wonder why ludwig didn't use that set up on the holywoods? I bet they sound amazing with ambassadors.Congrats on a real unique kit.

10" toms really weren't common back then. Not 'til Steve Gadd and Yamaha popularized them in the early 80's. Now, they are everywhere.

If I had that setup I would put the 12" & 13" toms on the bass drum stand and mount the 10" on a cymbal stand to the left. I would then add a 14" floor tom to the mix and have a really cool big kit.

I hear ya. I've thought about that, but I'm trying to keep this one a bit simpler. Since I have the 13", I will work it in somewhere on the kit. I have a few more things to do to that tom before its ready.

Thanks, Precision did a great job on the 10". The Keller m/p/m shells are a great substitute for the real thing. I highly recommend.

Thanks, wouldn't it be great if we all were able to keep all the gear we ever had? Man, what fun that would be....

Re: what is it about these old drums...A persons initial imprint is huge. Jules is a good example of that. He always says how the first snare he heard was his Dad's Supra. And that how not much else measured up. Also, to get a bit geeky, I think part of the secret is in the 3 thicker plies instead of the modern way of using 6 thinner plies with more glue. Plus the middle ply of different wood alters things. You get more real wood with the Ludwigs. Just about everyone uses thinner plies these days. My Ludwigs...the way I tune them...they sound happier. My DW's with the same tuning sound very boring by comparison. My 24 x 14 Lud kicks my DW's 22 x 20 ass.

No doubt the 3 ply with the thick poplar middle ply, maple re-rings and rounded edges are dictating the vintage sound. And, they are so easy to tune; you can't make them sound bad. I bet I spend at least twice as much time tuning my other kits, when I'm doing an initial set-up of new heads.

Sweet job! I'm working on a set of '71 shells myself. Beautiful, beautiful drums, enjoy!

I'm very glad I had the 10" made.

How did you go about that? I want a 10" tom to go with my Ludwig kit. Was it a custom job? Was it difficult to have it wrapped to match the rest of the kit? Did it cost a lot?

When I was a kid I had that same kit in silver sparkle, with the exact same tom mount and original stands, of course. Can't remember what kind of snare it came with. Wish I still had it.

After the initial impression of 'those look great', the first thing that caught my eye for some reason is that 'Ludwig' logo'ed tom holder.
Don't know why, but it seems pretty cool in an old skool kinda' way.

Guys -

I have a set of DW's that I purchased about 2 1/2 years ago. I love the drums, the Blue Glass is beautiful, the sound is... NOT OLD LUDWIGS !!

I own one Ludwig kit from the 60's (my original), and one kit from the early 70's. Every time I start loving the sound of the DW kit, I'll sit down at one of the Ludwigs and have an abrupt change of mind. The older Ludwig drums have a quality that I have not found matched in any current drum. My DW snare drums are no exception. They sound great, but both of my Supras and my Super Sensitive snare drums just simply sound better to my ears.

My 14" X 22" Ludwig bass drum from the 60's has a "boom" that nothing else I own has. It produces a thunderous, low sound that is unequaled by one of today's 18" X 22" or even larger.

Last edited:
BGH -

I love the gold sparkle. OOPS, or "Sparkling Gold Pearl", as they were known in the 60's. The color is always an eye catcher.

Back