Living in apartment or flat: solutions for practice?

Pearl Rhythm Traveler which includes additional mesh heads and plastic cymbals for practice.

RT-705HBC-Pra.jpg

I remember the first time I moved after I started playing drums, my parents and I moved into a condo that shared both sides with other units. I don't remember how but I acquired some Pearl Rhythm Traveler heads (I don't remember buying them so they might have been given to me) and putting them on my kit (12-14-20) and it worked for a while... I think I had a foam-rubber pad for my snare. The mesh heads had realistic response and everything. I had something like 'cymbal sleeves' for my hi-hat and ride (they basically encased the cymbals in rubber, deadening them) and I peeled the foam-rubber off the 'practice cymbal' and put it on a 16" B8 crash to deaden it. We lived there for at least a year and half and I don't remember how long I used that stuff, but I was able to keep playing for the most part.

I played mostly during the day, and I would basically not play at night, unless very lightly or only for a few minutes. I only remember one time where the neighbor banged on my wall for me to stop. No one came over to complain, however. I think they were mostly out of the house working during the day so it didn't affect anyone.

Actually, lol, this makes me wonder if I could use this setup where I live now... I haven't played regularly in 5 years, god knows I need it. =)

I went to UHaul and paid $70 a month for a climate controlled, 24 hour access and security, keycard entry storage unit where I would jam as loudly as I wanted, sometimes with a band, from midnight to 3 or 4AM a few nights a week. I am currently in the process of upgrading to a larger unit so that band practice is more comfortable.

One of the best decisions I ever made. No more neighbors/cops banging on the door or suppressed urges to jam at 11PM. If you really love playing, spend the money and allow yourself to play freely.

I went to UHaul and paid $70 a month for a climate controlled, 24 hour access and security, keycard entry storage unit where I would jam as loudly as I wanted, sometimes with a band, from midnight to 3 or 4AM a few nights a week. I am currently in the process of upgrading to a larger unit so that band practice is more comfortable.

One of the best decisions I ever made. No more neighbors/cops banging on the door or suppressed urges to jam at 11PM. If you really love playing, spend the money and allow yourself to play freely.

I also did this recently. I had a slightly larger unit that cost about $110 a month. I let it go because two nights a week I am working with my band at our practice space where we can be as loud as we want. Because my wife is working and I have a daughter I might go back to an E kit. Currently my house kit has mutes which help me get a decent amount of practice. I might throw some mesh heads and triggers on my jazz kit and use that as my "E" kit soon. I miss being able to mix my iPod into the mix.

But if you can I also prefer the actual acoustic kit. I had a great practice space in Germany where I could play at any hour and it was close to my house.

Back