Outstanding opportunity for someone....

I've been in the car business both in sales and in service since Dec. 95. I don't have a degree of any kind....... I love drums and would love being in the business of working with retailers to sell the product, but I have no experience in that realm.

wow...I fit that description and meet the pre-reqs.....

F

It seems to me that for someone to be able to "Drive the next level of sales growth activities" one would almost have to have a sixth sense as to what direction musical trends will take.
I personally don't have that because I can't imagine how many more variations of drum shell design and kit configurations could be made, but there are those out there who have that gift.

From previous experiences, I have found that in a lot of cases tons of experience backed by product knowledge can outweigh a degree. If you fit the criteria (minus the degree) I say go for it, if you really wanna do it. 18 years shows commitment (always a plus), and you are a drummer. That should be a bonus in itself. After all, who would you hire, tons of experience with no degree but knows the product inside and out, or less experience and a degree that knows maybe that drums are made of wood somehow?

It sounds like they want someone with a background in Marching Percussion, with all the contacts and leads that come with it

Being a nobody with only "related" experience might not be too useful, or profitable

Sales is sales. Either you know the product and can relate to the retailers or you can't. MBA? I would have reservations about some of their products, even though I owned some Ludwigs for over 40 years. While their higher end drums are still pretty good, hardware leaves a lot to be desired. The marketplace has changed with too many high quality competitors both foreign and domestic.

I sold cars for the first 2 1/2 years after I got out of the Navy as a communications electrician for 6 years. Then I started as a service advisor and have been doing that for 15 years. I deal with irritated people and "sell" them services and repairs and try to make them somewhat happy. I was passionate about drums during high school and hoped to own my own shop and give lessons after going to college, but that changed quickly. You could say I've put it on "hold". I work extremely well with folks who share the same interests as I, high performance cars, drums, guns, etc. I would love to have a chance at this position, but I also have excellent reading abilities and I don't qualify for hardly any of their requirements.

Lest anyone forget, Ludwig is a business. The person isn't being hired to give lessons, do drum solos, or otherwise demonstrate their drumming skills.

I agree with MrInsanePolack that if someone is experienced enough, in the industry, with a proven successful track record, they should be considered for the position. Any smart company knows there are superstars without degrees. What they don't want is to have to train hopeful newbies how to do the basic job.

Suppose someone wanted to play drums with McCartney. Obvious they'd need to learn the songs, but it's not Paul's job to also teach the person how to play the drums.

Bermuda

An MBA for that position, seems like shooting for the moon. I would think a BS in marketing would be better suited.

An MBA for that position, seems like shooting for the moon. I would think a BS in marketing would be better suited.

Asking for an MBA is a tool to "weed out" applicants without having to waste time.

Asking for an MBA is a tool to "weed out" applicants without having to waste time.

for sure, its just any MBA with 8-12 years experience is being called daily by headhunters, not filling out job applications.

I've been in the car business both in sales and in service since Dec. 95. I don't have a degree of any kind....... I love drums and would love being in the business of working with retailers to sell the product, but I have no experience in that realm.
Mike, car selling is some of the hardest selling anybody can do.
You can absolutely take those skills into this job!

You should give it a go. The MBA isn't set in stone, it clearly states "MBA or College degree in business, sales or marketing and/or equivalent experience." I would say that 18 years in sales definitely qualifies as equivalent experience, especially being with the same company the whole time. The and/or negates the necessity for a degree. They just don't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry who has hit a drum or two and sells weed to their neighbors to be applying for the position.

If at the very least, applying for the position couldn't hurt. The worst they can do is say no.

The link for jobs doesn't work and I didn't see a contact link. I'll have to try calling this week. Thanks for the positive comments. I really posted this for someone who might be able to take advantage of it, guess I'll find out what's up.

The job isn't exactly about selling the product, it's about opening new markets, worldwide. Once that's done, the product channels are open and selling/ordering product is handled at a different level. I don't blame them for wanting someone with the chops to grow the business by expanding the dealer network. It's nice if they know drums, but more important that they know finance, logistics, etc. With the right person, it's a small step teaching them what they need to know about the product. But primarily, it's their job to discuss business, not drums.

Reps discuss drums with distributors, retailers, and occasionally customers as they come across them in stores, and yes, they need an intimate knowledge of the product. Typically, they're also players, which makes those discussions more pleasant and informative. I know several reps for several companies, and I believe all of them play. I subbed in a band with a rep for KMC (was Kaman) and he's a great horn player, and very knowledgeable about the products he reps. I think he knows more about Sabians than I do after 20 years erndorsing them!

Bermuda

Exactly why I didn't even think about applying. They were very specific, as they should be, about what they wanted and their expectations. I'm thinking they filled the position since the job link doesn't show the position.

Agree with what's said here. Tons of experience and passion for drumming can outweigh a degree or MBA anytime. Give it a shot and apply. The absolute worst that can happen is they say "no".

Who knows, you may not get that particular position, but maybe they have another one or others that aren't advertised you would be perfect for?

Back