Reproduction Ludwig Tom

BGH

Gold Member
Some of you may have seen my thread about a 1966 Ludwig kit I've been working on:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108462

I decided I needed a 10" tom for this kit. I prefer 10 and 12 up vs 12 and 13. I looked for a while on eBay, but it seems that most old 10" Ludwig toms are concert toms. I probably could have bought one of those, had it modified for 2 heads and re-wrapped etc. It seems that I could also buy a new one from Ludwig for about $500.

Rather than doing that, I decided to have Precision Drum Build me a reproduction drum to match the kit. I remembered that Keller makes 3-ply mahog/poplar/mahog shells with re-rings, which are similar to vintage Ludwigs. I ended up going with one of those. I bought hardware on eBay; got 12 Ludwig mini lugs, a badge and a mount. I already had an extra set of 10" hoops. Here is the shell:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 329
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 279
I added the lugs and drilled for the mount. Drilling for the mount is the only part of this I did myself, besides the assembly.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 240
Installed the mount and added the heads and hoops. Now I have a 10" tom for this kit. Precision did a wonderful job on this. The edges are very very close to the real McCoy-rounded edge with a 45 degree relief. I tuned it up and it sounds just like it should. Haven't had a chance to set it up with the kit yet, but I'll be on that soon!

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 234
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 232
Here's a pic with the 12" tom and a pic of the interior.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 236
that looks identical

good job on the repro.!

what was the final cost?

Thanks! Everything Precision did was $250: the shell, bearing edges, drilling for lugs, wrapping, mounting the badge and a bag of tension rods. The lugs, badge and mount cost me about $100. So, $350. I already had the hoops and heads laying around.

Thanks! Everything Precision did was $250: the shell, bearing edges, drilling for lugs, wrapping, mounting the badge and a bag of tension rods. The lugs, badge and mount cost me about $100. So, $350. I already had the hoops and heads laying around.

that way better than ordering for ludwig

Luv it!

------------------------------------------------------------

Looks great BGH..............looked like a fun project..........I'm assuming it would have cost almost double if you ordered it from the factory?

Looks great, and I'm sure know one I'll ever know that ain't a Luddie .... unless you tell 'em.​

Looks great, and I'm sure know one I'll ever know that ain't a Luddie .... unless you tell 'em.​

Thanks, I won't tell if you won't tell !!

Looks great BGH..............looked like a fun project..........I'm assuming it would have cost almost double if you ordered it from the factory?

Thanks, yeah its cool when things work out. That's one great thing about working with Precision Drum. They evaluate your ideas and plans, give you feedback/advice and are easy to work with. If there are any issues as they begin the work, they call you to straighten it out.

cant wait to hear your opinion/review on it

As far as build quality: excellent. The Keller 3ply Mahogany/Poplar/Mahog shell is primo. If I wanted the vintage Ludwig sound in a new custom build, I wouldn't hesitate to have an entire kit built with these. The work that Precision did is first class. The lug holes were drilled clean and in correct position. The bearing edges were cut with great care. They are very close to the original Ludwig edges. Very smooth. The wrap was applied perfectly; no issues.

As far as sound, its got that vintage Ludwig sound. I have coated Ambassador over clear Ambassador. Its a dry tone with quick decay. Think Ginger Baker's sound back in the day with Cream. That's what it sounds like, which matches the rest of the kit. I'm happy.

Last edited:
As far as build quality: excellent. The Keller 3ply Mahogany/Poplar/Mahog shell is primo. If I wanted the vintage Ludwig sound in a new custom build, I wouldn't hesitate to have an entire kit built with these. The work that Precision did is first class. The lug holes were drilled clean and in correct position. The bearing edges were cut with great care. They are very close to the original Ludwig edges. Very smooth. The wrap was applied perfectly; no issues.

As far as sound, its got that vintage Ludwig sound. I have coated Ambassador over clear Ambassador. Its a dry tone with quick decay. Think Ginger Baker's sound back in the day with Cream. That's what it sounds like, which matches the rest of the lit. I'm happy.

that's great to hear! i'm glad it worked out for you... precision does great work.

classic down to the coated ambassador over a clear ambassador. yes i remember what they sounded like! an older friend of mine still listens to cream. awesome!

Very cool! Love Gold Sparkle too. I'm sure it sounds great, and has the right vibe to it also!

Have fun!!!

Thanks. That's one reason I bought the kit - you don't see gold sparkle around much any more. No denying the Ludwig vibe and this fits right in.

Nice play, does it sound like the drums that are next to it?

Thanks, yes it blends in very well. I would bet Keller designed these shells to be a vintage Ludwig replacement or alternative.

Back