Sonor, Mapex or DW...

petrez

*nevermind, ended up with a Mapex Black Panther, Black Widow drumset*
:)

Last edited:
Get the saturns, they're the bestest.

I'm sure a few others will also vote for Saturns...
Erm - Henri & I say Noooooo!!!!! Sonor all the way between these choices, unless finish is your top priority. In every other respect, the Sonor is the superior instrument. The initial fascination with your new finish soon fades away. The sound of your drums however, endures.

Go Saturns or Go Home.
Ok, I'll stay at home then. Playing my Sonor ;-)

Erm - Henri & I say Noooooo!!!!! Sonor all the way between these choices, unless finish is your top priority. In every other respect, the Sonor is the superior instrument. The initial fascination with your new finish soon fades away. The sound of your drums however, endures.
My view also. My experience is very limited though. I agree that unfortunately, many Sonor finishes are so-so - but that's subjective.
To the OP: You don't want to save a few bucks if this makes a noticeable difference in the sound. Do you? haha

Agree! ... Sonor is the best choice, unless the finish options are your top priority...

I don't think the Saturns are over-rated at all. A lot of players swear by them and they have wonderful tone. Price wise they are of good value and they offer some beautiful finishes. I won't bash any manufacturer and I know you guys that commented didn't. I think it is more of what sounds good to you. I would say go either Mapex or Sonor for you music style imho.

Steve

Thanks for the input. I think I have almost excluded the DW now, I just feel more strongly for the two others in comparison. I guess I will just have to find out what really is the most important factors for me. As said, I like both the sound of Prolites and Saturns, the Saturns might be a bit more on the deep, low-end side, which also is more tempting. I'm not going to say that looks is the main thing I go for when I buy drums, but when giving out big bucks for a kit, you should really like how it looks as well. I like Sonor lugs, hardware, style etc., just haven't really found my favorite finish in the Prolite series. Maybe I should save up a bit and go for an all custom SQ2 instead, at least then I can choose basically whatever finish I'd like... Food for thought.

However a Saturn kit is tempting as well, considering that I like the sound and looks of it, and I can get more drums for it whenever possible (not too pricey).

Thanks for the input. I think I have almost excluded the DW now, I just feel more strongly for the two others in comparison. I guess I will just have to find out what really is the most important factors for me. As said, I like both the sound of Prolites and Saturns, the Saturns might be a bit more on the deep, low-end side, which also is more tempting. I'm not going to say that looks is the main thing I go for when I buy drums, but when giving out big bucks for a kit, you should really like how it looks as well. I like Sonor lugs, hardware, style etc., just haven't really found my favorite finish in the Prolite series. Maybe I should save up a bit and go for an all custom SQ2 instead, at least then I can choose basically whatever finish I'd like... Food for thought.

However a Saturn kit is tempting as well, considering that I like the sound and looks of it, and I can get more drums for it whenever possible (not too pricey).
My wife isn't too pricey either compared to the alternative, plus I get more bang for my buck! Doesn't mean I'm more inspired though. Depends what you like in a performance. You can always go for the better finish option, but ultimately, is it more satisfying? ;) ;) ;)

SONOR!!!! best instrument available.

F

looks are very important. I hate dw lugs and I can't get past them to buy the brand, ever.
don't settle on any aspect of this purchase, looks included. obviously sound is number one but if it only comes in an ugly finish, why bother. proper heads and tuning can make most kits sound great so don't believe the hype between these three choices. My choice,,Ludwig

Prolites are at least 3400 on eBay and that's just for a little bop kit.. Saturns he can have a 6 or 7 piece for under 2k.

I mean come on lol

Where's that money going?

Prolites are at least 3400 on eBay and that's just for a little bop kit.. Saturns he can have a 6 or 7 piece for under 2k.

I mean come on lol

Where's that money going?

To Germany.

I've got to vote for the Sonors. I like the Saturn kits an awful lot but unless the money is a major factor in the decision, I think the Sonors are just better kits.

I'd rather spend the same money for fewer drums from Sonor. I'm with Andy.

The only way to know for sure is to try them both out. If you prefer how the Saturns sound then that's the decision made but I've always loved Sonor's sound.

Very valid, true points. Thing is, I'm buying this kit, most probably, from a german webshop (www.thomann.de, for those that know about them), so the prices vary to some degree compared to american ebay prices. There is a difference pricewise between the two kits, but it's not really that much, compared to what usually high-end Sonors go for in the states (at least that's what I've seen so far). DW Collectors for example, are priced higher than a SQ2 kit in the same configuration...

But I'm started to lean more towards Prolites now I think, allthough now the choices in finish is between nussbaum and piano black. The silver sparkle will be too flashy, hardly works good in a metalband setting, I think... I could wait until NAMM next year and see if they come out with something really good looking, but until it hits the stores 3-4 months later, it will take way too long for me.

The Saturns are the best bang for your buck in terms of value for money IMHO- that's why I own a set. Sound wise I doubt there is much to choose betweeen the kits if you can tune well (the Saturns tune up real easy). In the end it depends where your personal priorities lie; does the vfm equation tip the balance either way or not? Only you can answer that for yourself.

Sonor ProLite. I would also suggest looking at the new Yamaha Live Custom as well as Pearl's higher end stuff.

Prolites in Nussbaum are S-E-X-Y, period. Love that finish. That finish is so sexy that Sonor offers it on the SQ2 kits....its that good.

F

In terms of sound you can't go wrong either way. Saturns sound awesome IMHO and I love some of the new exotic finishes of the IV series.
Personally I'd go for the Saturns and get a couple of additional toms or an extra bass drum with the rest of the money. Double bass drum kits are SO sexy (that of course if you like playing double bass).

Back