Lead singers who like to use our bass drums as a leg rest...

Indeed. Step into my office, jackass.......

I hate it too. Luckily, the times its been done to me I wasn't playing on my kit, but our bassist's beat up beginner kit that we practiced with (it was at his house).

No one's tried it yet, but if someone uses my kick as a step stool then I'm pushing them off.

Yeah, it's happened. I had a set of Exports back then and given the whole nature of that particular band and my relationship with the guys in it, I can't say it really fazed me. If I had have been gigging my old man's vintage Luddies at the time, it would have been a whole 'nother story though.

It does remind me of the time I watched a bass player try to launch himself off the top of the drummer's bass drum though. We could actually hear it crack from where we were standing. That was the last I ever saw of his attempted acrobatics.....he was remarkably reserved from then on.

No one's tried it yet, but if someone uses my kick as a step stool then I'm pushing them off.

As I'm sure you all have experienced at one time or another, drumsticks hurt pretty good when smacked with one.

It does remind me of the time I watched a bass player try to launch himself off the top of the drummer's bass drum though. We could actually hear it crack from where we were standing. That was the last I ever saw of his attempted acrobatics.....he was remarkably reserved from then on.

It was a singer in my case. We all heard the cracking sound. It wasn't exactly happy fun time after that.

To me it doesn't matter how expensive the kit is, it's just all about respecting people's gear. I had a Tama Rockstar DX kit with the metal BD hoops and I still didn't tolerate it. It's happened a few times in my 20 years of playing in various bands and USUALLY it was quickly resolved. I haven't consumed alcohol in years so I'm pretty much intolerant of drunken, unprofessional antics in my old age. Hopefully I won't have to deal with it again.

I always said, "Would you like me to use your microphone for a drumstick or your head for a drum? Your choice."

Our singer's currently going through a divorce, so I know he couldn't afford the repair invoice, or the medical charges for removing a splash cymbal from his jugular!

For some strange reason, this has got me thinking about death by wind chimes ;) ;) ;)

For some strange reason, this has got me thinking about death by wind chimes ;) ;) ;)

...a slow, sweeping torture that starts at the top and gruelingly works its way down until the listener finally relinquishes their life rather than have to endure the further penetrating of the jingle-jangling.

...oh, wait, you said DEATH by wind chimes! Sheesh! I couldn't imagine what THAT would be like!

...a slow, sweeping torture that starts at the top and gruelingly works its way down until the listener finally relinquishes their life rather than have to endure the further penetrating of the jingle-jangling.

...oh, wait, you said DEATH by wind chimes! Sheesh! I couldn't imagine what THAT would be like!

I was thinking more like Yanni-Boarding, where the offending singer is strapped to a board and forced to listen to Yanni for hours on end...

I accidentally dropped my drum key on the top side of my bass one day. It was only from about a distance of 7 or 8 inches, but it made a tiny little dent in my shell.

That totally freaked me out.

I don't know what I'd do if some smarmy singer put his foot on it.

I imagine that person would be hopping for a few days, however.

Drum riser, sure. Drum? That's why I keep a machete in my stick bag...

Shocker! Did it change the sound of the drum?

That was part of the issue. He thought everything was fine because we couldn't identify where the crack sound came from, as in we couldn't see anything. I'll admit, it still sounds fine so he got lucky there, but that was a tense practice after that. Worst part was, I had told him on a few occasions not to do that again before he harms something. At least the cracking noise finally got him to stop and admit it's not good for it.

Anyway. I told him I would be standing on his guitar the next time it happened, and I wouldn't move until I heard a crack.

I accidentally dropped my drum key on the top side of my bass one day. It was only from about a distance of 7 or 8 inches, but it made a tiny little dent in my shell.

I don't know what I'd do if some smarmy singer put his foot on it.

I imagine that person would be hopping for a few days, however.

This is why I have two kits: A wrapped kit for live and my lacquered kit for studio and home use.

Call it a battle scar. If it was a Les Paul it would be seen as even more desirable now.

Call it a battle scar. If it was a Les Paul it would be seen as even more desirable now.

The next big thing. Already relic'd drumkits. They'll get a singer to step on every shell until it makes a crack sound and will intentionally tear chunks out of the finish.

People will be raving about their relic's Mike Portnoy and Dave Lombardo kits.

The next big thing. Already relic'd drumkits. They'll get a singer to step on every shell until it makes a crack sound and will intentionally tear chunks out of the finish.

People will be raving about their relic's Mike Portnoy and Dave Lombardo kits.

lol! Stone washed ripped jeans...

Back