A very weird mixed emotions day. Gig report & video.

Andy

Honorary Member
Up front warning - adult material contained in the video!! Mods: Due to the family nature of this forum, I've chosen footage that doesn't show detail, unless viewed in HD & full screen. Even then, only the keen eyed will pick up anything.

Background:

As some of you will know, a member of our band crew, & very dear friend Oz (Austin), suffered a ruptured aorta on Thursday of last week. A condition that's almost always fatal, but he's still with us (albeit in a terrible condition). He's not likely to make it through this, but we had a gig this weekend, & the band decided that Oz would want us to go through with it, so we did.

The band members (& others at this event) are really cut up about this (especially his life long friend, our singer), so this was going to be tough call. I'm giving you this as background info, as this thread is not about Oz, it's about a very weird day, filled with highs & lows in equal measure. So this is my gig report, & I hope it gives you some idea of a fairly typical summer bike rally experience.

8:00AM - Start load up the trailer. No lighting rig this time round, but we do carry our full PA for this gig. We've done this event before, & even though there's a 12K rig already at the event, frankly, our 7K rig out performs it, + we get a proper sound check :)

10:30AM - Leave out.

12:00 midday - Arrive at the rally as appointed, only to find that the supposedly empty stage has an impromtu "band" playing, so we wait around for an hour.

1:00PM - Start to load the stage. We set up our PA stacks either side of the stage, strap everything down, cable up, mic the kit, then have to vacate the stage for the next act.

5:00PM - Scheduled sound check. Didn't happen because one of the organising committee member's nephew's band was booked in last minute!! They were rude in their approach too, & even had the cheek (after being very rude & full of themselves) to ask me if they could use my kit, oh, & our PA - erm NO!! :) Anyhow, the obligatory Saturn was wielded out c/w amazing tom angles. Drum sound was crap (suspect tuning).

6:00PM - Finally, we get to set up & sound check. We're headlining this event so we're not due on stage until 10:30. We retire to camp "Fired Up" for BBQ & beers.

10:00PM - Report to stage only to be told they want us to split our set after 45 minutes for the "stripper". We don't like doing split sets at a rally, as you lose audience momentum. The stripper is also a hard act to follow at an 80% male bike rally :(

10:30PM - We start our first set & complete that without issue. Our singer gives a little speech about Oz & his condition.

11:30PM - Stripper does her act c/w "assistants" (more on that later).

12:15AM - We go back on, then play until 2:00AM!

3:00AM - Start breaking down our PA & rear line gear as we had to wait for the disco + fire eating display to end.

4:00AM - Leave out for the home run.

5:30AM - Crawl into bed!

Video: Recorded with my Zoom camera from the desk position. It's probably 250 foot away from the stage, & set on full zoom, so a bit grainy (sorry). The stage is set up in a partially open sided steel sheet barn c/w return walls either side (any sound techs amongst you will smell reflection nightmare - & you'd be correct :( ). The audience are mostly outside the barn (off camera). It was damn hot outside (for the UK), but inside the barn was topping 100 degrees F, so only the brave (& bands) dared enter.

Start until 2:00 - The band rocking the last song before we had to break for the strippers.

2:00 - One stripper was booked, but she encouraged girls from the audience to strip too, & they did!!! Of course, this is dreadful behaviour, & should be discouraged. Said girls stayed in that condition for most of the night, & insisted on messing around on the stage while we played. Of course, we discouraged that at every opportunity ;)

2:41 - (let's see how many of you get past this point ;) ;) ;) Rock medley stuff. We have a medley section that we pull out for these events, always popular :)

5:00 - Oz's favourite song intro & band dedication.

6:12 - Our singer falls flat on his arse, but makes a very pro recovery. Scared us all for a few seconds, because we're all in "band member collapse" mode right now :(

Link - read opening warning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNMsA49xZYM&hd=1

Photo's:

1/ Context photo showing the stage (daytime band), main PA to the outer extremes, our PA on the stage flanks, & the barn structure.

2/ Shot showing the desk position, & you can see my Zoom camera on the right hand side on top of a flight case.

3/ My kit, & you can see one of the reflecting wall structures facing the stage. It was so damn hot in there. No wonder the audience stayed outside (except strangely, when the stage was full of naked ladies).

4/ A little spy shot of my ebony stave acting as a test bed for a new strainer we're strongly considering. BTW, it was superb :)

Attachments

• contect.jpg
    contect.jpg
    773.4 KB · Views: 627
  • zoom shot.jpg
    zoom shot.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 619
  • kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    843 KB · Views: 612
  • strainer shot.jpg
    strainer shot.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 608
First of all, I'm so glad Oz is still hanging in there. This must be a horrendous time for his family and friends.

Wow, your gig sounds like a pretty surreal do! The video was great, thanks for posting it. And yet again your hi-hat gave me goose bumps :D

Lovely kit.

Best wishes to your bandmember for a full recovery mate,

Sorry for the surreal circumstances, Andy. But I watched the video and it appeared to be a standard night out with Fired Up - meaning it looked and sounded like the professional first rate act you guys are regardless of how you're feeling inside. The circumstances were a bit wonky, but you plowed through them and held up your end of the deal, and that's all anybody can really ask.

You didn't have the girls close enough in the camera, though ;)

Glad your mate is holding on. I do hope he comes out of this. Be brave over there!

Sorry for the surreal circumstances, Andy. But I watched the video and it appeared to be a standard night out with Fired Up - meaning it looked and sounded like the professional first rate act you guys are regardless of how you're feeling inside. The circumstances were a bit wonky, but you plowed through them and held up your end of the deal, and that's all anybody can really ask.
Glad your mate is holding on. I do hope he comes out of this. Be brave over there!
Thanks Matt :) It was tough. On the one hand we played well, our PA sounded superb (if you listen through good cans/speakers, you should hopefully pick up just how powerful our sound is), being infested with naked chicks is never a bad thing - on the other hand, deep upset, & a fair few set up/other band dickhead issues. A real rollercoaster of a very long day!

S

You didn't have the girls close enough in the camera, though ;)
Sorry, I can't get away with that on this forum. However, if you go full screen, you can see enough ;) ;) ;) My little camera was on full zoom from 250 feet away :( I have chosen a clip that is (just) suitable to post here IMO. Just as well I didn't set up a drum cam eh! ;)

Lovely kit.

Best wishes to your bandmember for a full recovery mate,
Thank you for your kind thoughts.

First of all, I'm so glad Oz is still hanging in there. This must be a horrendous time for his family and friends.

Wow, your gig sounds like a pretty surreal do! The video was great, thanks for posting it. And yet again your hi-hat gave me goose bumps :D
Surreal isn't even close :) Great gig though (apart from those disgraceful girls ;)

Reading your tale reminds me of why I quit playing rock but seeing your video reminds me of why I played. You guys sounded great and, Andy, your playing was excellent.

What a massive day. I got tired just reading it. Again, sorry about Oz's situation. I guess we're around that age.

Haven't had a chance to watch the vid yet (I promise i will) but just reading your saga has me worn out. Sounds like you guys handled everything that was thrown at you (clothes included). I'm sure you did Oz proud and just think of the great story you'll be able to share with him when he recovers,,,,I'm keeping a positive attitude on that :).

Glad to hear Oz is still with us on this side of the sod.

Sounds like you guys are tearing it up. The drummer could probably use a lesson or two, but other than that, superb! Wait....aren't you the drummer?

jk

Have a good one!

Very glad to hear that your bandmate is recovering. I understand what you and your band are going through as one year ago yesterday, one of my bandmates suffered a brain aneurysm. She was playing again 6 months later and is now doing quite well even though there are some lingering effects from the event.

BTW, I really only watched your vid because of the mention of naked women. Gotta tell ya', very disappointed. Sounded good though and good drumming. That is all.

You's put on a hell of a show, it sounded great! You were dirty tight! I loved the lighting rig too.
The pianist is rippin' aswell!

Hope your friend and fellow band-mate recovers, best wishes to him.

Andy, the show looked and sounded professional, no signs of any issues.
I was disappointed, too - where were all those things you've warned us of?? ;-)

Nice and tidy kit! Looks very classy.

BTW, I really only watched your vid because of the mention of naked women. Gotta tell ya', very disappointed. Sounded good though and good drumming. That is all.
Thanks for your best wishes :) I'm pleased to hear that your band mate recovered well. Unfortunately, Oz isn't doing well at all :(

As for the naked chicks. If you go full screen, you can see what you want to see, but I had to be careful posting that kind of stuff on here, even if it is directly gig related. If I put the rest of the footage up, the mod's would rightly tell me to take it down. I think I'm probably taking it to the limit as it is ;)

You's put on a hell of a show, it sounded great! You were dirty tight! I loved the lighting rig too.
The pianist is rippin' aswell!

Hope your friend and fellow band-mate recovers, best wishes to him.
Thanks man - really :)

Glad to hear Oz is still with us on this side of the sod.

Sounds like you guys are tearing it up. The drummer could probably use a lesson or two, but other than that, superb! Wait....aren't you the drummer?

jk

Have a good one!
yes, unfortunately for the band, I am the bin basher ;)

Haven't had a chance to watch the vid yet (I promise i will) but just reading your saga has me worn out. Sounds like you guys handled everything that was thrown at you (clothes included). I'm sure you did Oz proud and just think of the great story you'll be able to share with him when he recovers,,,,I'm keeping a positive attitude on that :).
Cheers Mary - view later with care. I don't want to offend such a sensitive rose ;)

Reading your tale reminds me of why I quit playing rock but seeing your video reminds me of why I played. You guys sounded great and, Andy, your playing was excellent.

What a massive day. I got tired just reading it. Again, sorry about Oz's situation. I guess we're around that age.
Yes Grea, unfortunately, we are that age :( I know what you mean about not missing the hard work & BS, but the stage buzz in these sorts of gigs is just addictive :)

Sounds like a very interesting day! Hope Oz gets better though :(
Thank you :) Interesting = yes, & very hard work.

Andy, the show looked and sounded professional, no signs of any issues.
I was disappointed, too - where were all those things you've warned us of?? ;-)

Nice and tidy kit! Looks very classy.
Ah, we posted at the same time :) I can turn up the chick heat if you wish Arky. Are you ready to defend me? Has Bernhard gone to the coast? ;)

Ah, we posted at the same time :) I can turn up the chick heat if you wish Arky. Are you ready to defend me? Has Bernhard gone to the coast? ;)
Hard questions ;-) It's getting delicate...
I trust your judgement. Let's risk it, the link can be put down if it's really getting out of bounds...
In the end, it's merely live footage serving as an example of what can happen on/near stage, right? haha

I trust your judgement. Let's risk it, the link can be put down if it's really getting out of bounds...
In the end, it's merely live footage serving as an example of what can happen on/near stage, right? haha

^^With admins like this, how can you NOT love this forum?

BTW, KIS, brilliant video, sexy photos of the kit, and I'm so happy to hear that you went on with the gig... An emotional day, but as others have said, it sounds like Oz would have wanted that...

There are those days that you would swear that you're in an episode of the "Twilight Zone",and you're just waiting for the appearence of Rod Serling and his elegant voice over.

That to me sounds like the day you guys just lived through.It kind of fits in with the expression of "you just can't make this stuff up".

The good news is ,you all made it through and passed the test of your intestinal fortitude.

Best wishes for your man down Andy.May the road rise.......

Steve B

KIS, great stuff........................you cant beat Rock and Roll and Strippers........................two of my favorite things.

Good luck to your man Oz, hopefully he can recover completely.

Hmmm, I've just reviewed the video. It's taken from 250 feet away, so you're not going to get definition. If you go full screen on HD, I think you can see enough wobbly bits to fill in the gaps. As for the other footage content, sorry Arky, I'm going to "override the mod", it's not suitable, as it involves "props" being used at 60bpm, lol! I'm filing this under "photo's, or it didn't happen" proof of story :)

Hey, come on guys, although at a distance, any clip that starts with girlie hooter kissing doesn't appear here every day! Greedy buggers ;)

^^With admins like this, how can you NOT love this forum?

BTW, KIS, brilliant video, sexy photos of the kit, and I'm so happy to hear that you went on with the gig... An emotional day, but as others have said, it sounds like Oz would have wanted that...
Thanks Man! Kit is my (supposedly retired) Spaun maple. It's a great gigging kit. of course, it's outshone by the snare ;)

There are those days that you would swear that you're in an episode of the "Twilight Zone",and you're just waiting for the appearence of Rod Serling and his elegant voice over.

That to me sounds like the day you guys just lived through.It kind of fits in with the expression of "you just can't make this stuff up".

The good news is ,you all made it through and passed the test of your intestinal fortitude.

Best wishes for your man down Andy.May the road rise.......

Steve B
Than you Steve. You're a good man, & I value your kind words.

Back