Scored a Bronze Supra LB552

Here's the set-up I plan to bring to Supercon this weekend. What a mighty thunder it all makes. I am certain I will bring the new snare to at least one of the slots we are playing. I think the bronze snare goes quite well with my Paiste 2002 set-up, in terms of both sight and sound. I never thought I could add anything to my kit that would make a 2002 cymbol look a bit dull, until I got this snare yesterday.

Ludwig Vistalites #2.JPG

Last edited:
Dude, that thing is friggin' gorgeous. Great looking kit you got there, too. Congrats!

16 strand wires hmmmm.......

Have fun with that snare dude! I am so tempted to jump on one, but I have some other things to take care of first--I also want a custom 21" 2002 crash so...

Yeah, the 2 butt plates not matching up is kinda strange being as so much stuff is interchangeable on Ludwig. Probably since they didn't make it themselves like in the old days.

16 strand wires hmmmm.......

Is there something unusual about that ? The Blasters are 20 strand. I have the 16-strand concert snares on a wood snare too, but they seem much more pronounced on this drum. Good snares seem to sound so juicy on the metal Ludwig snares.

Is there something unusual about that ?

No, it made me want to get some :)

Back in the day, I sometimes snipped off strands of wires, because I liked a little bit of crispness of sound, but I do also like the sound of the shell to come through more at times.

I like looser wires for some "dirt" too, and 16 strand wires seems like something I'd really like.

The new bronze Supra wasn't sounding that good after my show this weekend, and I realized the bottom head is new and probably got stretched out. It was way low, so I tuned it up to where my BB is, and man it's really poppin' now. Great snare !

Beautiful drum!

Oh man, I remember this drum now. Didn't you buy it with a buy it now of $400. If this is the one I'm thinking of you literally bought it right as I stumbled upon it. Lucky dog.

I just noticed that you said the strainer has key head screws. Are the one's in your strainer pretty sturdy, or are they just small threads? Do they look like the person may have put them in themselves?

A year or so ago, I saw online a P-86 with key screws. Went to the shop, had my guy call Ludwig (while I was standing there), and ask the person he always orders parts from what was up with it. They had no idea.

I just now did a search and pics of the P-86 come up, and there are clearly key screws on it. Curious....

Karl, I was shopping for a P86 awhile back, and came across a picture with key screws. It's probably the same picture you saw. The actual part being sold had regular Phillips-head screws. This drum I just got happens to have key screws, and they are sturdy as if they were meant to be. Just a stroke of good luck with my newest find. Cheers !

Just wanted to update on my post here. Wasn't sure if I was loving the bronze Supra as much as my BB or LM402. I had them all tuned up pretty much the same. The bronze just didn't seem to have as much body as the other two drums. Then, I just tuned the bottom head a little lower, and tweaked the top a bit, and suddenly, this thing is amazing. So much character, presence, and now, power. It's crazy how much a little tweak of a head can completely change your impression of a drum. Now I can't get enough of the thing. Every time I walk by it, I have to hit now.

Not surprised by this :)

I still want a Bronze (finish--my 89 BB is Bronze shell) 6.5, but I just can't realistically justify it.
Wanting one just isn't enough anymore, so I play the one I have at home. I won't gig with it (I'd love to), because I couldn't replace it if the unthinkable happened.
I just have too many snares I "don't use enough" as it is....the Brass BB's, & the COB sound too good :)!!

It's crazy how much a little tweak of a head can completely change your impression of a drum. Now I can't get enough of the thing. Every time I walk by it, I have to hit now.

I have the hammered version of this drum w/ tube lugs and this has been my experience as well. I've also done a lot of experimentation with different head and snare combinations though I keep coming back to my "default" single-ply coated w/ 16-strand concert snares.

Anyway, glad you're digging your drum man!

I've also done a lot of experimentation with different head and snare combinations though I keep coming back to my "default" single-ply coated w/ 16-strand concert snares.

That's exactly what I use. Coated Ambassador w/ 16-strand PureSound Concert Snares. Very juicy.

Back