Jenkins-Martin Drum Company

StickIt

I know that Bermuda and Mendozart have had some favorable(?) experiences with these guys. I've been reading what I can find, and they seem to really know what they're doing and have a passion for it.

I was wondering if there were any sound/video clips or personal photos of any of these drums, or even any opinions on how they sound and how well they hold-up. I enjoy interesting fabrications, and am wondering if these are true alternatives to other, more traditionally manufactured kits.

No personal experience, but I applaud them for making an honest capture recording!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYD62GgS2Zk

Major kudos for that from me :)

I listened through my reference gear, & thought they sounded quite good, if not lacking a little in body/tone. As they're close mic'd, I'd expect a bit more oomph in there. Could be the head selection, could be the tuning, or both. Mounted toms fairly short too. Mostly Asian parts bin hardware, & that's a shame really, as the shells look good. It's all down to price I suppose.

Interesting, & great that there's a good reference recording too :)

...and they seem to really know what they're doing and have a passion for it.

They do, and they do.

Simply great, pure drums. If I wasn't playing Ludwig, I'd be playing their fiberglass drums. Actually, I have a set of their concert toms, and an original Blaemire shell snare. :)

Bermuda

No personal experience, but I applaud them for making an honest capture recording!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYD62GgS2Zk

Thanks, lol, sometimes I get so caught up in searching this forum (and the manufacturer's website in this case) that I forget to expand my search...d'oh.

Mostly Asian parts bin hardware

Man, you are good. That is a shame. Thanks again!

Bermuda, thanks for your thoughts. That is saying a lot IMO.

That is a shame.
Depends on pricing. It's what most smaller builders do, so no comparative negative there, & the hardware's mostly good stuff too. Accessing such hardware really helps to keep prices low, & most customers couldn't give a ----------- anyhow.

More importantly, if Jon says it's good stuff, then that carries a lot of weight. My comments were solely based on listening carefully to the recording. There's nothing like a real life experience to tell the full story, & Jon's done that, I haven't.

Depends on pricing. It's what most smaller builders do, so no comparative negative there, & the hardware's mostly good stuff too.

FYI, they have exclusive lugs, the old Blaemire design, and molds were made from original lugs that Jerry Jenkins has. It's a rarely seen lug, very few people would know what it is. Well, what it is is a Jenkins-Martin lug. :) But yes, they are made in Asia.

More importantly, if Jon says it's good stuff, then that carries a lot of weight. My comments were solely based on listening carefully to the recording. There's nothing like a real life experience to tell the full story, & Jon's done that

Thanks and true, I have played the Blaemire kits, and the Jenkins-Martin shells are identical (Jerry was mentored by Allen Blaemire, and Jerry & Dave Martin did a ton of R&D to get them just right.) Pure, cutting, punchy, completely consistent, they sound just great.

Bermuda

Awesome. It is good to see some reasonable alternative constructions on the market. I am definitely intrigued!!

FYI, they have exclusive lugs, the old Blaemire design, and molds were made from original lugs that Jerry Jenkins has. It's a rarely seen lug, very few people would know what it is. Well, what it is is a Jenkins-Martin lug. :) But yes, they are made in Asia.
Bermuda
Sorry Jon, I didn't catch the design. Please excuse my ignorance of the brand, although they do look remarkably similar to ones we receive on listings from various Asian suppliers.

As a side but related point, we put a design into an Asian supplier about 3 years ago. All drawn up & ready to make. We got the first shipment, they were fine, but about 3 months later we received two listings from different suppliers, with yes, you guessed it, our design lugs offered for general sale! That was the last time we went that route, but not solely for that reason.

Awesome. It is good to see some reasonable alternative constructions on the market.
Absolutely! I'm all for variety & choice :)

I'll echo Berm. They are awesome drums, the hardware is top shelf with flawless chrome, and the sound... Wow!

Don makes great sound clips. Trust that YouTube link.

I wrote to ask if they'd sell just the fiberglass shells.
Does anybody else offer a similar composite shell?

I wrote to ask if they'd sell just the fiberglass shells.
Does anybody else offer a similar composite shell?

The only other shell that resembles theirs is made by Ming, but their drums have metal rings as bearing edges (like what Remo did with their Acousticon shells!) Similar maybe, but definitely not the same, and not sure if they sell them raw. If they did, you'd be faced with the mess of drilling and edging fiberglass... it doesn't handle like wood.

Apart from Ming, no other fiberglass shells have been made the same way, except by Blaemire himself.

Bermuda

Thanks to Don and Bermuda for bringing these drums to attention. They do sound pretty nice and the design and coloring look quite cool. I do hope they are not super expensive--I'd love a set some day. The Jenkins-Martins drums seem like a great, very well-made kit.

Bermuda, do you know if their kits are reasonably priced? They had zero information about pricing, hardware, color choices, etc., on their website, but the kits look awesome and sound tight.

Thanks!

The drums aren't cheap, and they're not expensive. I don't recall the numbers, but I was privvy to the development of the new shells, and the brand, and the projected prices seemed reasonable to me.

But I'm surprised there isn't pricing on the site, as they've been taking orders since the brand's introduction at the Chicago Show last May.

Bermuda

The drums aren't cheap, and they're not expensive. I don't recall the numbers, but I was privvy to the development of the new shells, and the brand, and the projected prices seemed reasonable to me.

But I'm surprised there isn't pricing on the site, as they've been taking orders since the brand's introduction at the Chicago Show last May.

Bermuda

Thanks for clearing up a few things about these drums Jon. I'm just fresh back from this years Chicago Drum Show, and I would have to say it was another successful show. Dave had a printed pamphlet this year, with (MSRP) prices listed. If anyone has any pricing, or other questions, contact Dave or Jerry, per the website, or you're welcome to PM me if you'd like.
http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/

I was at the show too, and these were really nice sounding drums. Very full and responsive. Not thin, or "choke-y" whatsoever.

With CA's, they sounded fantastic to me. The other head types sounded good too, but a coated head is my preferred sound.
The shells they had (without holes) on the shelf were pretty cool.

Nice guy's at the booth too!

I was at the show too, and these were really nice sounding drums. Very full and responsive. Not thin, or "choke-y" whatsoever.

With CA's, they sounded fantastic to me. The other head types sounded good too, but a coated head is my preferred sound.
The shells they had (without holes) on the shelf were pretty cool.

Nice guy's at the booth too!

Damn Karl, you were there? I was working the booth, but didn't notice you. I too love the sound of coated heads, I use Vintage Emperors on my toms and they kill. Ambassador X is my new favorite heads on these snares.

Back