Would recutting edges on DW Collectors be a good idea?

mrmike

Silver Member
I have a Collectors kit from 1998 in sizes 10,12,14,16,22. The edges are in excellent shape but are very sharp and appear to have no counter cut, just a straight 45 to the last ply. Don't get me wrong, they sound great but I was wondering if having the edges redone with a counter cut like Precision drum, Frondelli drums recommend might warm them up a bit?

I guess I a would like something closer to the sound of Ludwig Classic maples but I really like the quality of the DW's. I was considering sending them to Precision Drum, Frondelli or Pork Pie. I was also considering trying to sand them down a bit myself.

Recutting the edges will devalue the kit from a collectors view.
Is the kit in collectors condition?
If the kit is in real good condition you could probably sell it and buy a used kit with the edges that you want for the price that you sell it for.

The drums are in perfect condition, no scratches, never been gigged. Not sure how collectible they are other than they are DW Collector series. I assume they could have been ordered with different edges when new. Maybe the super sharp edge is standard for these drums.

Plus the current wrap may not be that desirable so not sure how much I could get for them. I hated it at first but it's kind of grown on me. I guess I should try to sell them first but it's kind of like a car that you become attched to:)

Attachments

• DSCN0778 new.jpg
    DSCN0778 new.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 591
I would reach out to DW and see what bearing edge options were available when the kit was made. Have DW recut them, then it is all factory done.

I have a 2000 kit, the outer cut is rounded with a straight inner cut, they are very warm

By the way, those should Keller shells, very cool kit.

If a back cut edge was offered at the time that your drums were made then it is OK to recut them.
Interesting wrap, do you have a pic of the whole kit?

I'd take close pics of the edges on the drums and then send them to either Mr. Frondelli (who I met at NAMM 2013!) or Bill Detamore (Pork Pie), depending on who you're closer to, and ask their opinion. I think Bill might have worked for DW at one time.

I haven't talked much with J.R. about his general outlook but I believe Bill would probably say that they could use it. In my experience you certainly wouldn't be worse off sound wise if he worked on them.

As far as collector's value: Not sure. I don't remember reading or hearing anything about the 'vintage' status of a 1998 set although I'm sure there was a manufacturing approach used that would be of value to some. Other DW experts can chime in on that and I'll defer to them.

Then again, the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' thing might be the way to go. If you like the way they sound and really have no desired sound that might be achieved - then let 'em ride.

You could always ask Bill or J.R. what you could expect sound wise if you have work done.

My .02

Jim

BTW: No dis on Precision. I've just not had any contact or experience with them.

If a back cut edge was offered at the time that your drums were made then it is OK to recut them.
Interesting wrap, do you have a pic of the whole kit?

Here is the whole kit. It's a one of kind wrap picked out by billionaire and Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. He was the previous owner.

It sound really good. I guess I have been Jones'n for a Ludwig Classic Maple kit and thought this might get them a little closer without having to sell them and buy another kit. Besides, who would be crazy enough to buy this kit anyway?

Attachments

• DSCN0605.JPG
    DSCN0605.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 547
Its definitely different. I really don't know whether to like it or hate it.
If you have proof that it was owned by Paul Allen it may be something that a computer techie may desire.
Put it on eBay and see what happens!
Keyword it so that computer geeks can stumble upon it in a search.

I sat cut 'em. They're your drums. DW's aren't collectible, they're just expensive, and they're quite common. I'd say give them a rounder cut to get that great Gretsch sound instead. Everyone will say you're crazy, but I don't think so.

I'm with Bo on this one - go ahead, do it. I bet they will sound great.
Collectors are not all that special....although this kit in particular is certainly one of a kind. So then why couldn't they have one a kind edges for a Collectors kit as well?

I have a set of DW's with round-ish edges (Jazz series) and IMHO, they are by far the best sounding drums DW offers. Hard to compare though because the shells are not the same (Jazz shells = maple/gum/maple).

Neal

I'm with Bo on this one - go ahead, do it. I bet they will sound great.
Collectors are not all that special....although this kit in particular is certainly one of a kind. So then why couldn't they have one a kind edges for a Collectors kit as well?

I have a set of DW's with round-ish edges (Jazz series) and IMHO, they are by far the best sounding drums DW offers. Hard to compare though because the shells are not the same (Jazz shells = maple/gum/maple).

Neal

Wow. Sounds like you could sell those DWs and get THREE Ludwig Club Dates. That would be way cool.

I would reach out to DW and see what bearing edge options were available when the kit was made. Have DW recut them, then it is all factory done.

I have a 2000 kit, the outer cut is rounded with a straight inner cut, they are very warm

By the way, those should Keller shells, very cool kit.

I think I will go this route. I certainly don't want to ruin them. I am curious what kind of edges are stadard for this or any era.

My problem is I want a Ludwig Classic Maple kit (already have vintage kit), DW Jazz and Classic series, Tama Star, C&C kit(not sure which one), Yamaha Pheonix, Pearl Reference, Gretsch USA Custom, Gretsch Brooklyn, GMS, Noble & Cooley, Cravioatto, Sake, Canopus and above all a GURU!

Last edited:
Wow. Sounds like you could sell those DWs and get THREE Ludwig Club Dates. That would be way cool.

Actually, I have a Club Date kit on layaway....Downbeat (12/14/20) kit in Ruby Sparkle.
Also an incoming Yamaha Club Custom kit....all with 30 degree edges. I guess I like round edges. :)

Back to the original question...
Yes, get DW to cut the edges for you; that's sensible. You will likely be without your drums for 6+ months though...

Neal

Last edited:
....My problem is I want a Ludwig Classic Maple kit (already have vintage kit), DW Jazz and Classic series, Tama Star, C&C kit(not sure which one), Yamaha Pheonix, Pearl Reference, Gretsch USA Custom, Gretsch Brooklyn, GMS, Noble & Cooley, Cravioatto, Sake, Canopus and above all a GURU!

LOL

OK then - I think I can safely say that you should disregard my post #12.

So I contacted Bill Detamore at Pork Pie and asked his advice. Here is what he wrote back.

"Here is what I would do on a kit like this. I would cut a 60 degree edge on everything with a 1 1/2 ply counter cut on the toms and a 2 1/2 ply counter cut on the bass drum. I do the 60 because all of the old drums that I like the sound of had 60 degree inside edges. Counter cuts so the head seats on the shell better.

My edges will make this kit sing, be easy to tune and play and tune like a dream."

Funny thing was all I said was what kind of edges were on it and if a counter cut would add more shell resonance. Nothing about making them sound vintage. I think I am going for it!

So I contacted Bill Detamore at Pork Pie and asked his advice. Here is what he wrote back.

"Here is what I would do on a kit like this. I would cut a 60 degree edge on everything with a 1 1/2 ply counter cut on the toms and a 2 1/2 ply counter cut on the bass drum. I do the 60 because all of the old drums that I like the sound of had 60 degree inside edges. Counter cuts so the head seats on the shell better.

My edges will make this kit sing, be easy to tune and play and tune like a dream."

Funny thing was all I said was what kind of edges were on it and if a counter cut would add more shell resonance. Nothing about making them sound vintage. I think I am going for it!
I could be wrong, but I don't think Bill has meant to imply "vintage", unless he's thinking of making the edge peak very rounded/soft. A 60 degree edge is fairly acute, & when partnered with a typical R1-R3 peak, will offer longer head sustain with fairly minimal head to shell contact. A "vintage" edge would typically include a roundover to the counter (outside) cut. That offers greater head contact with the shell. That puts the brakes on head sustain to a degree, but also involves the shell more. Shell involvement has greater benefit to overall tone with older shells (typically 3 ply, or even older, steam bent), but is less beneficial with modern multiple ply shells, but still of merit.

Bill is suggesting an edge that will open up head sustain on your drums, & given their construction, I think he's absolutely correct in suggesting that partnership.

If you do decide to do this, Bill is the man for the job. You will be 100% satisfied with his work.

Back