snare basket setup

opentune

Platinum Member
I think it was Anthony who did a survey about where people place their snare throw-off/strainer (...most at 8 or 6 o clock).
Now, I'm curious. Where do most folks orient the three arms of their snare basket?
Do you put one arm toward you (at 6 o clock) and the other two away from you, or two toward you, and one pointed away? Is there only one 'correct' way?
How many tilt the snare toward you by some angle?

one arm between my legs with it slightly facing my left leg because I tilt my snare a bit forward as many trad players do

one arm between my legs with it slightly facing my left leg because I tilt my snare a bit forward as many trad players do

I'm the complete opposite since I have 1 arm towards me and two away since I till my snare towards me. Although I actually have it also slightly tilted so it slopes right so I can get rimshots easier. That being said I'm tempted to switch to 1 arm towards me and 2 arms away as for an unknown reason it doesn't always feel comfortable with the double bass.

Strainer at 4 or 5 o'clock and, with the drum tilted towards me, it makes sense to have two arms at my side: I figure with the tilted weight distribution you get better balance/support that way.

throwoff at 9:00 1 arm towards me, flat,

tom on a snare stand in front of it, 1 arm away from me, tilted towards me a little bit,

both on one of those gibraltar stealth racks

that way the snare baskets won't hit each other

Throw off between crotch, 1 basket arm pointing about 7:00 (PM) and the other 2 pointing towards the audience more or less. My logic is I have more clear room on each side of the arm with the 1 arm pointing towards me. Also the snare basket is not clamped to the bottom, snare is free to rotate.

Also the snare basket is not clamped to the bottom, snare is free to rotate.

OK I get that.
Funny the guy whose drums I share at a practice space (its his kit), always clamps down tight on his snare base, no snare rotataion, choking it. He likes it, thinks it tames the snare.
I detest that, and bring my own snare, open up the basket wide.

i dont know where my snare basket arm are, i only know that i tilt the basket away from the large know that tightenes the basket to the snare.

Basket is at 4, 8, and 12 o clock, and the throwoff sits at 9. That's how I've had it my whole life.

That's my set-up, too.

The main reason I'm at 4, 8, & 12 is because of the old-time snare hardware. I played the snare in the 5th grade (a long time ago) and two of the arms had a specific length, but the middle one extended out a long way. I couldn't have the drum's mass resting on the extendable one or else the snare would always move down and toward me.

Back