Best Ride Cymbal?

FWIW, I was in GC today and I played a Sabian "Bash" ride. I gotta say, I really liked it. Don't let the name influence you, it sounded nothing like what I thought it would. I would have bought it but I'm good on rides.

As an aside, I went in the cymbal room and I played over 100 cymbals. Out of all them, there were only 2 I liked, both Sabians. Well 3 including the bash ride which was on the showroom floor with a kit. I don't know what it is but it seems like something's wrong when only 2% of the cymbals appealed to me.

Also, there is no such thing as a best ride cymbal. That would be too easy.

FWIW, I was in GC today and I played a Sabian "Bash" ride. I gotta say, I really liked it. Don't let the name influence you, it sounded nothing like what I thought it would. I would have bought it but I'm good on rides.

As an aside, I went in the cymbal room and I played over 100 cymbals. Out of all them, there were only 2 I liked, both Sabians. Well 3 including the bash ride which was on the showroom floor with a kit. I don't know what it is but it seems like something's wrong when only 2% of the cymbals appealed to me.

Totally agree with your last sentence!

For me, I love the sound of the 22" Paiste 602 flat ride. It sings. . .

I bet I would agree about the 602, but the lack of a Bell means it could never be the all-rounder solution Ride most of us look for, to say nothing of the fact that many people pay in bands that Flat Rides are just way too quiet for.

The best ride I've ever played or owned has to be my 20" Paiste ride from the 60s. It's got a beautiful petina with a great dark tone, and the best part is the price. I got it at a Goodwill for $14.99. ;)

Second favorite is probably a K. Zildjian Const. Med Thin Low Ride.

My submission is actually the only Paiste cymbal I own, so there's no manufacturer bias here. Every other cymbal I own is a Zildjian so that's where my loyalties lie! This is a 22" Paiste Signature Dark Energy MK2 Ride.

And it is a thing of beauty, in every sense!

Agreed! I have the 21" and although there may be rides with a better bell or with a nicer crash, I haven't found one that is as versatile and a "complete package" as this ride. Beautiful overtones, sublime ping and so many differnt sounds to choose from. I especially like to accent a ride pattern by hitting it lightly with the shoulder of the stick on the bow of the cymbal.

My favorite is my Paiste 21" Twenty series Ride model. It seems to cover a lot of ground.
I'm looking hard at the new Form. 602's Modern Essentials ride also.

I bet I would agree about the 602, but the lack of a Bell means it could never be the all-rounder solution Ride most of us look for, to say nothing of the fact that many people pay in bands that Flat Rides are just way too quiet for.

Never played the 602.............but I've always loved flat rides....................currently playing a 20" A custom flat......................added the 6" zil-bel to make up for the lack of a bell. But, as you pointed out, it is quiet and needs to be mic'ed in most music. I love it though.

ry%3D400

This thread, and Jsk36's last post are both about 5 years old.
I'd be curious to know though if he ended up using and getting to know the Sweet Ride.
Or if he got a different ride.
Guess we'll never know.

I think the best are the Zildjian Sweet Ride and the Zildjian Z Mega Bell Ride.

To my ear the 21" Sweet ride sucks, used as a ride, but it makes a damn fine sounding crash cymbal. I haven't found my nirvana ride yet, but I'm fairly happy with my Sabian Hand Hammered 21" raw bell dry ride. (there's a mouthful)

Considering how wide the range of tones was between the different examples of this ride when I checked out the Sweet Rides I don't think its even reasonable to make blanket statements like this.

Me personally, i have paiste powerslave ride, dark energy mk 2, and sabian hh 21 raw bell dry ride. Love my paiste's, i have owned many. My favorite ride by far is the powerslave. Find out what your favorite drummers play, and go from there.

My personal favourite is a 22" Craig Lauritsen Controversial. It weights 2065g, has very dark wooden stick, beautiful wash and overtones, just sounds right to me in every circumstances. (It's the second from the right.)

Take your cymbal with you to GC, and do a side by side comparison. Pick the one that sounds better than your ride for what you are seeking.

I have a 22" Paiste Reflector Bell Ride (Nick McBrain Sig Model). It is a fantastic rock ride, very musical and can be cutting if that's the way you want to play it. But, it is surprisingly versatile. If you play it softly or dynamically, it won't get away from you. You can play it in a variety of situations. I also like the Paiste 21" Maters Dry Ride and the Masters Medium Ride.

The best Rock ride I have ever owned or played is the Paiste 22” Heavy ride - my the Power ride . The heavy still has sole wash and a beautiful ping that cuts through the Marshall stacks .

Some others that will more than do the job .
Paiste Signature Dry Heavy - ping city and that Paiste shimmer

Sabian 21” HH Raw Bell Dry ride - there is a reason it has been Sabian’s Top selling ride for years - they are great. You don’t need touch to get this cymbal selling well.

The venerable Zildjian 21” Rock ride from the A Zildjian line is a classic

Not wanting to diss your thread, but your question has no answer. It invites speculation and personal opinion based upon the opinions of various individuals of unequal means.

I’m with this guy. There really is no answer to this question.

The best Rock ride I have ever owned or played is the Paiste 22” Heavy ride - my the Power ride . The heavy still has sole wash and a beautiful ping that cuts through the Marshall stacks .

Some others that will more than do the job .
Paiste Signature Dry Heavy - ping city and that Paiste shimmer

Sabian 21” HH Raw Bell Dry ride - there is a reason it has been Sabian’s Top selling ride for years - they are great. You don’t need touch to get this cymbal selling well.

The venerable Zildjian 21” Rock ride from the A Zildjian line is a classic

I got my 20" Zildjian A Rock ride in 83, and other than the Zildjian K Dark Custom 20" ride, (which I covet sso much) I have never heard anything as fundamentally "rock"

Back