Thoughts on Joey Jordison

Otto ... "have found the makeup an unfortunate marketing gimmick".

I'd call it a successful image designed to please their young fans.

I first heard of Slipknot when Iowa hit No1 on the UK album charts, (For a 'metal' act, a rare achievement in itself) after checking the Left Behind video, I knew they had hit the zeitgeist with regard to pre and young teens of the time.

Hawaiian shirts and bermuda shorts, or any on stage 'outfit', are a marketing gimmick aren't they?

...and have found the makeup an unfortunate marketing gimmick.

Some musicians use makeup to create an identity, a uniqueness to express themselves, it's also a good way to be different than other bands or artists, it's not always just a marketing gimmick, though, many artists have adopted the "mystical" make up...

Alice Cooper
Randy Newman
David Bowie
Peter Gabriel
The Cure
Kiss
The Blue Men Group
Adam Ant

... and many others.

It's part of creating an icon, an image, a dream, being someone else.

I'm not convinced that an artist such as Peter Gabriel did it for a marketing gimmick, more for a theatrical expression of his songs, as a solo artist or with Genesis.

Um, I'm one of those simple people ... I've been on a Cure bender lately and there's nothing going on there that could be considered complicated. Sure, the execution is flawless and the soundscapes are lush and dark ... but complicated? Not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I like drumming that bends my mind as much as the next drum nerd (I can stomach a helluva lotta Weckl elevator music), but usually music by players for players is not terribly inspiring to me on some basic level. I actually kinda like basic and simple. One could easily construct an argument that talent transcends technical capability. Just depends on how you define talent.

Anyway, Joey ... pretty good drummer from the YT vids I've seen. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but definitely not terrible.

We just composed a nice, simple song last night. I wrote it, but we all composed it together. I like simple music too. I listen to some of the music I was listening to in the 80's and it makes me cringe, but I like The Cure too. I like some prog like Primus, Rush and Yes, but sometimes some nice simple music is the best.

Speaking of talent, maybe these people make it because not only are they decent enough musicians, but they are talented in their ability to entertain a crowd.

Speaking of talent, maybe these people make it because not only are they decent enough musicians, but they are talented in their ability to entertain a crowd.

Sadly, while I think hard work and being a good entertainer do contribute a huge percentage of fame lies in good fortune. I know musicians, drummers included, who have been at it for decades, who are good entertainers, good musicians, and very hard workers, and they can't get the recognition they deserve.

A band I play with has been at it for quite a while. A few months ago our bassist, a very talented gent, joined a second band. Well, this second band has become his main band. Know why? The lead singer of the band had friends in a big emo band and their record label. They just got signed, and are laying plans for a tour.

As a drummer I admit he is good, but I agree live he is very sloppy and yes I believe he uses double bass and speed as a way to compensate for technique. I think most people unfairly hate him due to his over media hype which is far from his fault. I like im in the single factor that he brings in new drummers.
On a personal level I hate him. I met him once at a festival when I was playing in a tent stage, and he was just a really nasty man. Quoting that: "Metal owes nothing to jazz or jazz drummers, you gave us the drum kit, now let us show you how to play it"
Complete and utter nasty piece of work....

Now if thats how Jordison relaxes around the home...then I am way off...but I doubt it.

...hence I see it as unfortunate.

I've come to believe that marketing in place of musical qualities has damaged the over all product...and the market...dancers pretending to be singers...showpeople with a modicum of musical ability.

In an ideal world I would have great affinity for the trappings around music...but one of my short comings is a depreciation for that which tries to cast an obscuring layer over the music...and thereby ends up dumbing down the listener...and, at best, limiting the listeners musical growth...all to make a sale the music itself does not deserve.

Peter Gabriel always provided quality in his music first...the makeup was never a lure...but more of a frame...something he began to see as detracting as the years passed and his experience grew...or so I interpret his discontinued use of it.

Joey and Paul Grey came to my bands show when we played in Des Moines years ago. I sat at the bar and had a few beers with him. Hes a cool dude....very humble.

The funny thing is drums were always his 2nd instrument behind guitar. He writes a lot of the riffs for Slipknot and plays guitar for Murderdolls.

Hes a cool dude....very humble. .

Apparently not

he was just a really nasty man. Quoting that: "Metal owes nothing to jazz or jazz drummers, you gave us the drum kit, now let us show you how to play it"
Complete and utter nasty piece of work....

While I do somewhat see his point that most metal music is nothing like jazz except in some more obscure bands cases(e.g. Cynic, Exivious, Animals as Leaders, Opeth ect.)

Implying that he (or any other traditional metal drummer) is better than a jazz drummer is down right hilarious.

Back