Help Picking Drum Set

Orlando is pretty close to me. Not a drive I make regularly, but definitely close enough that could drive if the deal was good enough.

Then I would watch the Orlando Craigs List for the next 3 or 4 weeks. Like somebody else said, lots of people will be getting new sets, and there will also be a lot of people trying to get some holiday cash.

Then I would watch the Orlando Craigs List for the next 3 or 4 weeks. Like somebody else said, lots of people will be getting new sets, and there will also be a lot of people trying to get some holiday cash.

That's true, thanks for the help!

Well I'm on hold for right now as I'm still waiting for some good deals to pop up on the sets I'm looking at. But for later on in the future, what kind of hardware do you all recommend? I'm gonna get decent hardware for now but I do want to upgrade later on. Suggestions? I have been looking into getting a speed cobra pedal wayyyy down the road.

Don't remember if this has been mentioned, but if you run across an ad for Tama Artstar II, those are early 7 ply 100% Maple shells.
To go back even farther in time, if you run across an ad for Rogers XP-8, those are VERY early 100% 8 ply Maple shells.
Should be able to find some for a decent price.

Elvis
I haven't even heard of those kits so I'll definitely have to check into them. Thanks!
I should probably note, then, that neither kit is currently being made, so my comments concerned the used market only.

Artstar II dates from mid-late 80's to mid 90's. Although a different line of drums, they were eventually replaced (in the hierarchy of Tama's line-up) by Starclassic.

Rogers was one of the great old American drum makers, starting sometime in the late 19th century.
Company lived until just before WWII.
In the early 50's, everything was sold off to Grossman Music and the Rogers name would live again, until about 1983, when they shut down for good.
XP-8 series started life in the late 70's ('79?) and lasted until the company shut down.
There have been a few attempts to bring the name back since then, but all have just been the Rogers name slapped onto a set of otherwise generic drums.
I've heard that Keller was the maker of the shell used by Rogers, so I suppose another way to get something similar would be to build your own kit from 8-ply Keller shells and outfit it with period/series correct Rogers hardware.
Anyway, that's the backstory.
Good luck.

Elvis

Hi Guys,
Just joined the site and was browsing the topics and read your thread. I played drums many many years ago and had a great time playing with my friends in a very casual garage band. Now I have kids (9 and 11yrs old) and they have started playing music at school (recorder and trombone). I have visited stores for new beginner kits that are just as expensive as the used kits, any suggestions as to what brands I should be looking at or avoiding concerning used kits. It would be nice to play again and see if the kids would enjoy playing drums.

Cheers

Hi Guys,
Just joined the site and was browsing the topics and read your thread. I played drums many many years ago and had a great time playing with my friends in a very casual garage band. Now I have kids (9 and 11yrs old) and they have started playing music at school (recorder and trombone). I have visited stores for new beginner kits that are just as expensive as the used kits, any suggestions as to what brands I should be looking at or avoiding concerning used kits. It would be nice to play again and see if the kids would enjoy playing drums.

Cheers

just about any major brand.. Yamaha, Mapex, PDP, Pearl, Tama, Gretsch, Taye, Ludwig, Sonor..etc

Also used drum sets on craigslist or most anywhere is just an asking price, in my experience offering reasonably less is usually accepted plus you usually get all the accessories which can add up if you buy your 1st set brand new like Stands, throne, cymbals, pedals etc. trust me used is much much cheaper atleast it should be.

Hi Guys,

Cheers

A Ludwig accent would make a good kit for them. Everything is included so they could start playing immediately.

I found a set online near me can you give me your opinion? It is a Tama Superstar basic kit comes with a crash,ride,high hat, throne, deadening pads. The owner cannot tell me the age as she bought it for her son used. She is asking $500. Does it sound like a good deal?

Thanks

Look on guitar centers used website. If you are fine with paying with a card over the phone, look on drums, type in the price you want and do a national search. I guarantee you that you will see something you want. That is how I got mine, only they were local. If you really want to go play them, look at guitar centers in Florida and see what they have. That extra money in gas and a couple hours trip could save you a lot of money on a great kit. Watch craigslist too, but don't get scammed by some bum wanting a fast buck. check any set you look at thoroughly and play before you buy. (If you are dealing craigslist) If you do buy something through guitar center's used gear and you order it by phone or online, talk to someone from there about the set, and have them check it. They won't lie to you (at least most won't), but find the set that fits you the best, and enjoy it.

I found a set online near me can you give me your opinion? It is a Tama Superstar basic kit comes with a crash,ride,high hat, throne, deadening pads. The owner cannot tell me the age as she bought it for her son used. She is asking $500. Does it sound like a good deal?

Thanks

Get pictures and post them on here. What kind of cymbals? Superstars are nice and sound good, but I have played on one that was a lot older and it is poor quality. If it is relatively new it should be good quality though.

Thanks
Dadu,

I write this, backed by 31+ years of being a drummer.

Check out the drums and make sure they're in good shape.
Remember that hardware and finishes can be modified and/or replaced.
Cymbals can be replaced (in some cases, repaired), too.
As long as the shell is in good shape, you're good to go.

If all of that checks out, then by all means...

.....BUT IT NOW!...RUN! DO NOT WALK! BUY THOSE DRUMS NOW!

Superstar has been always been considered a good drum and has always been ranked (in the hierarchy of Tama's offerings) as one of their "flagship" lines.
This is true of the orignals and of the drums made now.

If your sons take to drumming, chances are, they will go through all the changes we've all gone through as time goes on.
Right now, it'll be the coolest kit in the world, but sooner or later, they will probably find something they think is cooler and this one will be left in the dust....
...and at that time, if Dad still feels it might be fun to get back behind a kit, here's a nice little kit just waiting for you.
Think of it as a "permanent loan". =)

Elvis

Thanks

There are two series of Superstars.The vintage 76 to 86 original ones,which came in standard and "power sizes"(as in 12x11,13x12,14x13)They were top of the line then and are all birch shells,but most are 6 ply 9mm thick.

The newer Superstars were introduced in 2005,and were originally birch and basswood,with later models being all birch.Either way...they all sound good,but if those drums are the earlier 2005 models,thats a little high.

Steve B

Thanks guys for your input. I am from the Montreal area and I have been noticing on CL and other online drums the good sets are bought very quickly by the online stores that then will sell them at their stores. I just don't want to get over excited and jump on a kit because I know it will be gone soon. Here are a couple kits that I have not sold yet. What do you think?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=440536557
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=440289043
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=440583442

I wil keep on looking.

Just posted the link to some of the kits that I am looking at but I think it got spammed, I will see if I can get you some pictures.

here is what is listed.
UP FOR SALE, A NICE PEARL EXPORT DRUM (WITH I.S.S SUSPENSION SYSTEM) IN GOOD CONDITION:

1 BASS DRUM 22 '' with Evans Emad , 1 FLOOR , 2 TOMS , 1 SNARE , 1 HI-HAT STAND,1 SNARE STAND , 1 BOOM STAND ,HI-HATS CYMBALS PEAVEY ET 1 THRONE

*** WITHOUT THRONE AND CYMBALS: 425.00$
*** EVERYTHING LISTED : 475.00$
next

Next is
Green Mapex V Series 7 Piece Drum Kit
For sale $450 or best offer.
Includes 4 toms, 1 snare, 1 ride/crash cymbal, pair of hi-hats and a Mapex throne.
I have the tunning key as well, speaking of they will need to be tuned.
The chrome is in immaculate condition. The heads are in really great shape.

Sorry guys i can't figure out how to add the photo… any suggestions, I use Mac.

Thanks

Dadu,

drum-kit.jpg

Reply to this message and you'll see how the image commands are formatted.
A lot of web forums use those UBB commands, these days.
The url you see written between the commands is the url for THE PICTURE, not the page the picture came from.

As for the ads you mentioned, you might as well save on the shipping and buy the Ludwig Accent's that are sale in your area.
The kits in the ads you posted are of the same type....plus, I don't like the ISS mount on the Pearl. See my comments on this in my earlier post (#49).
None of those kits are considered to be any "better" than the others and for that kind of money, I'm betting you'll probably be able to find something that's a little nicer, albeit, probably a little older.

...or...

Save up for a while, until you can afford what you really want.

Elvis

Last edited:
Thanks Elvis, I will wait and be patient! I would like an older kit, but I imagine my son (11yrs) is like any kid and wants the shiny new kit! I will try and convince him that the older kits will sound better than the new (beginner/intermediate) kit.

O.K, a couple more used kits to choose from, a Ludwig and a Gretsch, opinions please.I am waiting for the Ludwig owner to tell me more about the set.
Beautiful 6 Piece Gretsch Drum set (Catalina Ash Series)
very good Evans Ec2 Coated Drum Heads

Cymbals included:

Sabian AA Hi hats
Paiste Pst Ride
Saban B8 Crash

Hardware:

Yamaha Single Kick (real nice)
Hi hat stand
Cymbal Stand
Throne
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=440896941&back=-1&ImageIndex=1
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=441102276&back=-1&ImageIndex=1

dadu,
you can always edit your posts and add more info.
No need to create endless posts by the same member. Just saying.
I won't merge your consecutive posts in this thread but I'm assuming you'll pay more attention to this, ok? Thanks in advance.

There are two series of Superstars.The vintage 76 to 86 original ones,which came in standard and "power sizes"(as in 12x11,13x12,14x13)They were top of the line then and are all birch shells,but most are 6 ply 9mm thick.

The newer Superstars were introduced in 2005,and were originally birch and basswood,with later models being all birch.Either way...they all sound good,but if those drums are the earlier 2005 models,thats a little high.

Steve B

I'll defer to your knowledge. The superstars I played had old heads and were in bad shape. Maybe I should have qualified my opinion a little more.

Back