Need snare advice, best materials for a versatile player?

<(' . '<)

I haven't really tested a lot of snares, but it is time for a new one and I'm kind of clueless. I play many styles so I'd like a very versatile snare. What materials are best for that? Wood metal, or acrylic? If wood or metal what kind of material?

theres more to it than that, what kind of a sound are you looking for? what is your budget? some sort of a wood or aluminum snare comes to mind 5-6.5 x 14.

Under $200 but I'd probably buy used so I'm open to any snare really. I'd like a snare that blends well with my poplar Exports. The way they are tuned they have a dark warm sound with some punch. So I'd like a loose punchy snare, sorry I should have specified that to start.

My 'punchiest' snares are standard depth (5"-5.5") wood snares at low tuning. There are hundreds of snare videos on YouTube.

Memphis drum shop
Forks drum closet
Cymbal fusion
Drum centre of Portsmouth (although I don't think the recordings sound great).

Go nuts, take you time.

Just pick up a Ludwig Acrolite used and save the rest of the cash.You can get that honkin' deep sound out of it,or that Steve Jordan pitched up pop.(yes he uses one quite often and did so playing the Crossroads Festival).Just ask him.

Or you may be able to score a used Ludwig Supra,a Pearl Sensitone,A Tama King beat or Powertone.All used and can be had usually around 200.And the're all very versitile drums.

Steve B

Just pick up a Ludwig Acrolite used and save the rest of the cash.You can get that honkin' deep sound out of it,or that Steve Jordan pitched up pop.(yes he uses one quite often and did so playing the Crossroads Festival).Just ask him.

Or you may be able to score a used Ludwig Supra,a Pearl Sensitone,A Tama King beat or Powertone.All used and can be had usually around 200.And the're all very versitile drums.

Steve B

I looked on Ebay for some Sensitones but didn't know if it'd be a good buy. Should I get a regular one or an Elite? What is the difference between the two? (outside of more material choices for the Elite's)

Don't eat out for a couple of weeks to bring your budget up to $300. Then go into every shop you know and play them all. Once you get passed the $350 range, the differences are pretty negligible. In that $200-300 range you find a lot of variety. But really, if you're playing Exports, a used Ludwig Acrolite will be a big improvement right there. If you can get a Supraphonic, that'd be even better. Both snares do everything well. You've probably been hearing them both all your life ;)

I'll probably have to wait a little longer than a few weeks, I'm 17 and make my money on craigslist haha I never liked the Export snare, I love everything about the kit but the snare actually haha I'll try all the snares I can out regardless of price and see what happens. I've gone through maple, birch, and mahogany kits and still like poplar best for some reason haha I never really put a lot of thought into snares I mainly focused on everything else. How are acrylic? My Guitar Center only ever had a clear pork pie one and I loved it. I didn't buy it cause I had no other acrylics to compare it to so I couldn't tell of it's quality.

You sound like a cat in a room full of mice....decisions ,decisions.Thats why a clutch of pidgeons when startled, fly in four different directions...to confuse raptors.Its about making a decision.Just pick one.You're overthinking now.Acrylic?What about carbon fiber?Granite?Cast Bronze?Steam bent,or stave?You can go to just about any drum forum,say Ludwig Acrolite,and I swear the overwhelming majority will give you a thumbs up.The're a great sounding drum,and pro all the way.You buy the drum,and even if you don't like it,you can sell it for what you paid for it,the next day.Around 125-150 sometimes even cheaper.

The sensitone and sensitone elite are basicly the same drum,different choices,different badge.Everything else is the same.

You can't get a better deal than that anywhere.:)

Steve B

Last edited:
You sound like a cat in a room full of mice....decisions ,decisions.Thats why a clutch of pidgeons when startled, fly in four different directions...to confuse raptors.Its about making a decision.Just pick one.You're overthinking now.Acrylic?What about carbon fiber?Granite?Cast Bronze?Steam bent,or stave?You can go to just about any drum forum,say Ludwig Acrolite,and I swear the overwhelming majority will give you a thumbs up.The're a great sounding drum,and pro all the way.You buy the drum,and even if you don't like it,you can sell it for what you paid for it,the next day.Around 125-150 sometimes even cheaper.

The sensitone and sensitone elite are basicly the same drum,different choices,different badge.Everything else is the same.

You can't get a better deal than that anywhere.:)

Steve B

I have to agree with this. When you're 17, you're just in that process of figuring out what you like. Unfortunately, the only way to figure that out is to buy stuff and play it. I'm 46 now, and I've gone through at least 20 different sets and an un-counted amount of snares and cymbals to end up with what I like today. Tomorrow could be a different thing, but the good news is, I can theorize about what a drum might sound like because I've played so many of them.

And the funnier thing is, for alot of the work I've actually made a living with, the drums and cymbals were provided, which meant I didn't have a choice in what kind of gear to play. That decision was made for me. Ironic, huh?

Okay, my main issue is I don't know where to start with a snare so I guess I'll just go to my Guitar Center and play them all and see. Thanks guys

Ok dude.I just read one of your posts on another thread,where you gave advice to an OP praising the Acrolite for sound,value and over all acceptance by the drumming community as a great drum.

So...what's the deal?You give opinions but don't follow your own advice?I just don't get it.

Why waste our time with a " need snare advice" thread,when you alredy know what the majority of answers will be?Really?

Steve B

Last edited:
Back